Close
Close
Close
36 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 68

Oscillating Tool Diamond Blade

03/05/2017 1:48 AM

Anybody have a favorite blade? one that would eat a nail?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 67

Re: oscillating tool diamond blade

03/05/2017 9:51 AM

What are those devises? Nail eaters?

Here's my favorite eater of all things metal...

Good Answers: 766
In reply to #1

03/05/2017 10:07 AM

I prefer a plasma torch myself! Angry electrons burning hotter than the sun at work!

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

In reply to #3

03/05/2017 12:16 PM

I wish I had a plasma torch, but I just can't justify the cost.

In reply to #4

03/05/2017 8:49 PM

If you have some degree of electronics skills you can pick them up pretty cheap. I used to make some pretty good side money buying up broke ones and repairing them.

Surprisingly the most common problem wasn't the electronics in the power supplies but the units just being so full off dirt and debris they would overheat for various reasons. No one ever took the covers off and blew the dust out of them despite it usually being mentioned the instruction manuals as being a required and regular maintenance action..

Next was plugged up air system components (internal solenoid valve and or pressure regulators). Rarely did anyone ever run a any type of air line debris catching filter on them either and those that di ran water traps but ran them util they were so degraded they started to break down and plug up the system.

After that was cords having been ripped out of the machine or torch cords that were burned through or smashed flat or the torch heads smashed or shorted out from people using them as slag chipping hammers.

Actual power supply control system damage was surprisingly low and even then most often it was just bad connections on the power handling wiring or components.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 235
In reply to #1

03/05/2017 6:45 PM

Oxy acetylene cutting torch ²is great for most steel....but not much for most stainless. Also doesn't work well with aluminum, magnesium, brass, bronze, copper, beryllium, titanium, and a numbet of other metals.

Oxy acetylene is not so much an eater of all things metal as it is an eater of all steels not stainless.

In reply to #7

03/05/2017 9:54 PM

I stand corrected!

Guru

03/05/2017 10:05 AM

Carbide holds up to steel cutting better that diamond.

Diamond being carbon will be slowly absorbed by iron and get dull. It takes a while at normal temperatures but when doing hard grinding or cutting work (sparks a flying) the surface temperatures of the diamond bits do get hot enough to either sublimate off and be absorbed by the steel or outrightly oxidize and burn off as CO2.

Carbide however does not and will tend to stay almost as hard at near white hot temperatures as it is at room temperature.

It's why a diamond grit coated concrete cutting wheel will last a long time in raw concrete or even hard rock work but it wears down quickly going through rebar even though many of the various segregate materials used concrete are of higher hardness values than what rebar (a rather soft lower grade iron compared to a good nail or bolt or such) is.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

Good Answers: 27
In reply to #2

03/06/2017 5:37 AM

I've used diamond bits for a number of things (mostly small jobs). We used them in our jewelry business - very small bits that were awesome and stayed sharp a long time. I also use them when cutting tile or stone. The blade in my tile saw (wet saw) has a diamond blade and I've never changed it, though I've done quite a bit of slate and porcelain.

I've never run a diamond blade across steel/iron. It's good to know that the blade/bit will not do well with steel/iron.

On another note, I did have some trouble cutting aluminum with a bi-metal blade (on my osc tool). It dulled the blade very quickly - I was surprised how poorly the blade did. Any ideas why?

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #16

03/06/2017 8:37 AM

Blade didn't "dull" but rather the pores filled with metal and then stopped the cutting action. similarly you NEVER want to grind non-ferrous metals on a grinding wheel. the metal gums up the wheel. after said wheel is filled with metal, the next user inadvertently heats up said metal which expands and shatters the wheel. This is not a good thing when that wheel is spinning at 1800 or more RPMs.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #19

03/06/2017 9:13 AM

I do it all the time. been doing it for over two decades now at that and never once had a grinding wheel or disk come apart from it.

Sure, it 'could happen' but then again I 'could' get hit in the head by a meteorite or part of airplane or spacecraft that fell off and be killed while walking to my shop too.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #20

03/07/2017 3:51 AM

I was thinking of cutting the next window frame with a 4" cut off wheel. What do you think? The window frame is aluminum and I want to cut all but the outside edge flush. Then I'll butt the new window up to the lip on the old aluminum frame and seal it up.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #23

03/07/2017 11:27 AM

I have an old circular saw that gets any old rough cut carbide tipped blades for cutting nasty stuff like concrete backer board. (outdoors with face shield) It's way fast and easy compared to anything else. Loud too, but it make up for it by being fast like n like butter.

I'm surprised at the things I can cut into with this (junk) saw. The aluminum / stucco combo frame is tough, but I'd give it a go with the junk saw.. with an abrasive blade waiting.. I've had gumming with aluminum on all sorts of blades, but the stucco might help to keep things clear. Slow advancement can help with the gumming as well as not letting the blade get too tight.

A long sawzall blade with the best teeth will overheat and die.

Pop on some ear muffs, too. Did I mention how loud it is?

In reply to #24

03/15/2017 6:22 AM

I'll try the carbide tipped blade in my circular saw. I'll use the old junky saw too.

I did kill my sawzall blade, but I was thinking that the Diablo Demon Carbide tipped blade may work.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #23

03/07/2017 12:02 PM

a circular saw finish saw blade works great in a chop saw for extruded aluminium.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #27

03/15/2017 6:25 AM

Carbide tipped?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #19

03/07/2017 3:43 AM

When I inspected the blade, the teeth were ground down. At first, I thought the teeth were filled with the soft aluminum, but it wasn't the case. This is what puzzles me - if the steel (blade) is harder than the aluminum (item being cut), then how could it dull the blade?

I wish I kept the blade to show you what it ended up looking like. The best description I can give is that the cutting edge of the blade was curved (concave) and the blade was thinner in the center.

The aluminum I was cutting is an old 1990's aluminum sliding window frame. I thought it would be better if I cut it out vs smashing the stucco and pulling the frame out. My idea didn't work and I wound up demolitioning the stucco and pulling the frame out.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #22

03/07/2017 11:43 AM

More than likely you were cutting through oxidized aluminum. Aluminum oxide is used in making abrasive wheels and cutting disks for steel work because it's harder and more wear resistant than most tool steels that saw blades are made from. So, for every bit of oxidized aluminum, the blade took off a bit of tooth material worn off with it.

Most tool steels. ~50 - 65 Rockwell.

Aluminum Oxide. ~60 - 70 Rockwell.

So if you had a blade that was on the lower end of the tool steel hardness range, the oxidized aluminum would have worn it down pretty easily.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #26

03/10/2017 8:57 AM

Don't think so guru. Al2O3 scale is on the order of around 50 nanometer or less. not going to dull anything. the original poster saw soft aluminium metal that galled the blade. a stiff wire brush will knock that slag off of the teeth. and grinding non-ferrous metals on a stone is akin to playing Russian roulette.. so you can spin the cylinder and pull the trigger "all the time" without an issue... until the wrong cylinder comes up.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #32

03/11/2017 12:56 PM

Actually it is.

I'm a long time metals fabricator and I can assure you from first hand experience that aluminum oxide build up on aluminum parts is a notable wear point concern with toolling.

Same as Iron Oxide rust build up on iron based metals which just like Al2O3 Fe2O3 despite being a microscopic particle size is still a very hard and thusly high wear point with tooling.

Try drilling holes in a corroded piece of aluminum with a common high speed steel drill bit and see how many shallow holes, where you just break through oxide layer, you can do before it gets dull then do the same experiment with clean aluminum doing holes to the same depth.

I guarantee that despite that Al2O3 being "50 nM" in size it eats up the cutting edges of that drill bit anyway.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #26

03/15/2017 6:30 AM

You nailed it. That's exactly what happened. The blade had trouble breaking the surface, which was oxidized. It was not a carbide tipped blade!

Thanks for the advice.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 33
In reply to #16

03/06/2017 2:04 PM

We would cut aluminum sheet with just a regular carbide table saw blade, with zero degree, to negative kerf, to keep the material from being pulled into the work, and only letting the feed rate adjust to the material being cut. Maybe as much heat as abrasive cutting the sheet?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1086

Re: Oscillating Tool Diamond Blade

03/05/2017 2:08 PM

I stick with tungsten carbide for metal....Diamond blades for masonry and tile...Oscillators suck...I go with an angle grinder or a sawzall, or by hand in some cases, even die grinder....

In reply to #5

03/05/2017 8:52 PM

The oscillators are good for fine detail and confined space work but like anything else they are only good at doing what they were made to do and not much else.

You don't use a Dremel for 9" grinder work so why try and use a oscillator saw for heavy cutting or material removal?

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1

03/05/2017 3:33 PM

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 141

03/05/2017 8:40 PM

Nice collection:

As for nails these tools do not perform well.

However a Bosch blade does it, be it slowly

We use them daily, but for a nail we take the sawsall with a torch blade. e.g. Milwaukee

In reply to #8

03/06/2017 6:21 AM

Good advice. I've used my Bosch osc tool blade to cut through nails and staples, though not on purpose. I was cutting through wood and the nail/staples were there in the way. The Bosch blade cut through it, but it does slow down the process.

I've heard that the Diablo Carbide tipped Demon blades are suppose to be the bomb! A bit pricey, but I heard they cut tool steel.

Register to Reply
Guru

03/05/2017 9:55 PM

Not looking to actually cut nails.. a couple of staples in a tight spot. I just don't trust the bi metal blade for anything beyond tinfoil.

I was leaning towards carbide too. The diamond blade from "Fein" has few reviews but big claims. I agree that it's best for stone etc.

I use Torch sawzawl blades as well as Diablo carbide (GREAT) and one of my faves the UGLY blades.

the blades are so pricey I wanted your thoughts.. thanks!

In reply to #12

03/05/2017 11:16 PM

Bimetal saw blades do just fine with most every common steel but tool steels or extremely rusty steel.

Staples and small nails would not likely be much of a problem.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

03/06/2017 12:26 AM

Good thoughts.. I'd like a carbide blade that will be around for more demanding stuff. I've worn enough bimetal blades and it stinks to burn through them and not have one good one when needed.

03/06/2017 5:31 AM

I've owned a Bosch osc tool for about 5 years or so. I've tried blades from other companies in an attempt to save money (Bosch blades are expensive). I've gone back to Bosch, because of the quality and long life.

I've never used a diamond blade, but for a non diamond blade, the Bosch fine tooth blade is a good one.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

03/06/2017 5:42 AM

Here's a link to the Bosch line of osc blades. Many are recommended for cutting nails and staples. https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/starlock-multi-tool-cutting-accessories-28838-c/

Good luck - I think you'll find the Bosch blades to be more than adequate.

Register to Reply
Guru

03/07/2017 11:32 AM

OK yes, the Bosch Carbide blade kicks all forms of a**. Now I want to know if a 3" plunge depth carbide blade exists? A little longer is welcome, too!

I saw a blade advertised as an extra long 4.25" (actual cutting depth 2.48"). Booo.

I'll take an unlimited number of such blades (3" - 4" carbide tipped).

United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 141
In reply to #25

03/07/2017 6:33 PM

The white saw sawl of milwaukee comes in different sizes.

The longuests we use are 12"

03/07/2017 7:47 PM

right length, wrong teeth.

wrong length, right teeth

come on!

In reply to #29

03/09/2017 2:46 PM

Now do you really expect the typical tool user to ever stop and think about what it is they are doing and what would actually be the correct tool for the job?

I mean, seriously. If they use the correct tool for the job the way it was intended to be used and the work still comes out looking like crap they would have no option but to blame themselves for the shoddy workmanship and we both know people taking responsibility for their screw up is socially and culturally unacceptable behavior.

Now the thing to do would be to do what my buddy does and if cutting metal with a $2 wood blade ($3 steel blade cost too much) didn't work with his $30 saw he needs to go out and buy the $150 saw that comes with a $10 wood blade and try it again since between the saw costing 5x as much and the high end wood blade costing 5x as much it has to cut steel better.

(Seriously. I love they guy like a brother but every time I have helped him build something I wanted shoot him right between the eyes with with one of his 10 cent a piece nails that come out of his $700 nail gun for doing bonehead sloppy work.)

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #30

03/09/2017 5:47 PM

I've worked with many a fellow over the years that considered themselves quite the handyman. It's astonishing how many of these guys have all the latest tools but no idea of how to use them or you have the type that has all the confidence and 'supposed' knowledge but somehow has 80's era black n decker tools. "you need that 2x4 cut? hold on. I'll get it for you. I have a new blade on my jig saw." ummm? Thanks for the help!?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Autobroker (9); C-Mac (1); dvmdsc (2); JE in Chicago (6); setlock77 (3); SolarEagle (1); tcmtech (9); Tom_Consulting (3); truth is not a compromise (1)

Previous in Forum: Higher and Deeper :)   Next in Forum: Thesis Support

Advertisement