Close
Close
Close
32 comments
Commentator

The Clem Engine, Was it Real or Fake?

03/06/2017 11:44 AM

The Richard Clem Engine - 07/05/96

Originally posted on December 26, 1992 - CLEM1.ASC A few months back, we got a call from a friend who had heard of this incredible motor that was said to run itself and generate excess useable power. The details were unclear at the time and our friend gathered more details and we met for lunch to discuss what he had found out. This file with diagram is listed on KeelyNet as CLEM2.ZIP. As we understand it, inventor Richard Clem died of a heart attack soon after the deal was signed with the coal company. His workshop was raided by law enforcement officials and all his notes and drawings were removed. The story as I was told by our unnamed friend : A local man (Dallas) developed a closed system engine that was purported to generate 350 HP and run itself. The engine weighed about 200 pounds and ran on cooking oil at temperatures of 300 F. It consisted of a cone mounted on a horizontal axis. The shaft which supported the cone was hollow and the cone had spiralling channels cut into it. These spiralling pathways wound around the cone terminating at the cone base in the form of nozzles (rimjets). When fluid was pumped into the hollow shaft at pressures ranging from 300-500 PSI (pounds per square inch), it moved into the closed spiralling channels of the cone and exited from the nozzles. This action caused the cone to spin. As the velocity of the fluid increased, so did the rotational speed of the cone. As the speed continued to increase, the fluid heated up, requiring a heat exchange and filtering process. At a certain velocity, the rotating cone became independent of the drive system and began to operate of itself. The engine ran at speeds of 1800 to 2300 RPM. Immediately after the inventor had the heart attack and the papers were removed, the son of the inventor took the only working model of the machine to a farm near Dallas. There it was buried under 10 feet of concrete and has been running at that depth for several years. In later conversations, our contact says the engine had been tested by Bendix Corporation. The test involved attaching the engine to a dynamometer to measure the amount of horsepower generated by the engine in its self-running mode. It generated a consistent 350 HP for 9 consecutive days which astounded the engineers at Bendix. They concluded the only source of energy which could generate this much power in a CLOSED SYSTEM over an extended period must be of an atomic nature. Construction of the engine was from off the shelf components except for the hollow shaft and the custom cone with the enclosed spiral channels. Richard Clem worked with heavy machinery for the city of Dallas and had noticed that certain kinds of high pressure pumps continued to run for short periods after the power was removed. His curiosity into this phenomenon led to the development of the Clem Engine.

The Clem Over-Unity Motor

The following is from a newspaper clipping that has no name or date. In 1972, Richard Clem announced the invention of a way to operate automobile engines on cooking oil. He's still making that claim today, even though his first prototype motor fell apart and he had been "strung along" by at least 15 companies before he found financial backing. Clem, 48, a heavy equipment operator for the city of Dallas and part-time inventor, says if the automobile industry adopts his invention, motorists could change the eight gallons of vegetable oil only every 150,000 miles and never buy any gas. Clem said he uses vegetable oil because his motor runs at 300 degrees - a temperature where water has boiled away and conventional motor oil breaks down. Though he won't divulge many details of the engine, a 12-volt battery apparently is the only other source of power. When Clem finished his first vegetable oil engine in 1972, he mapped a 600- mile test trip to El Paso for the first engine model he had financed through his earnings. But he only made it as far as Abilene before the 'shafts and everything bent in it.' He blamed the failure on poor construction, too small a shaft and the use of chains instead of gears. Undaunted, he decided to try again, but said, 'I needed money to build this thing better.' Neither the automobile industry nor the 15 other companies he wrote - some as far away as Taiwan - were interested in financing a prototype and then manufacturing it. Then last year, he said, a large coal company offered to back him. Clem refused to disclose the name of his benefactor, but did say the coal company had signed contracts to sell the engines to power companies for use in pulling turbines. Clem said he expects to finish work on the motor by the end of this year. (1972)

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 180

Re: The Clem Engine, Was it Real or Fake?

03/06/2017 12:25 PM

As an over unity unit, it was absolutely fake. But I believe that I read on another site that you thought he was injecting water at the jets causing steam explosions when the water hit the heated cooking oil. If that is true and he captured the expansive forces of the steam, then I think it is possible it ran, but not as a over unity device and not as a closed loop.

You have said that you experimented with his design, and I believe you said you could not replicate his claimed results. So you tell us, was it fake? There is probably nobody here that knows more about Richard Clem and his engine than you.

In reply to #1

03/06/2017 1:30 PM

Thanks for the input Jpool,

I found that a rim jet thrust was not enough to keep anything moving with a hydraulic pump, I done many prototypes using the picture above. It does not work!

The one thing I did get out of those type of experiment was a decrease in pump load, but no increase in thrust.

If the thrust has a flow say 200ft/sec then a 24" diameter would only have a maximum rpm of 1910.8, but due to thrust force it drops down for mechanical load.

At psi coming out a rim jet, you would have about sqrt(32+32*(537/0.43))=200ft/sec

But the 537 psi with two rim jets at .0.0625 diameter jets, you will have about (1.57*psi*d*d)*2= 6.59lb of thrust.

This is not enough mechanical work to over come the pump.

gpm = (((.0123*12)*200)*60))/231=7.66gpm

Pump hp needed at 537psi@38.96gpm is: 7.66*537/1714=2.4hp

Maximum rim jet thrust = 6.59*1910.8rpm/5252=2.4hp

This would need 1/3 hp to make it overunity.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

In reply to #2

03/06/2017 1:37 PM

So, do you think he was injecting water? I read he built a couple of cars and I read people say to have seen this thing run, I also read that he blew it up trying to drive it. All possible with the water to steam theory.

What the results of your experiments tell me is he was unable to break the laws of thermodynamics as he claimed (over unity as stated in his diagram)

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 740

03/06/2017 3:13 PM

A person would have to be awfully gullible to believe that article.

In reply to #4

03/06/2017 4:42 PM

Yes, you are right, of course, but I am playing nice. I really want to know if he thinks Clem was injecting water into hot oil to get this to spin or if he thinks it all was a scam. Clem claimed he had a running over-unity device, which I know he did not have. Tommey has probably studied Clem and his engine more than anybody else I know and I would like to know how Tommey thinks Clem pulled it off.

He is asking us if we think it was real or fake, I already stated it was fake. I think he should state his belief in the matter. He did the experiments and couldn't replicate the claims.

03/06/2017 4:54 PM

I think if Clem did have this thing spinning he did it in a similar to this :

Instead if fire, he used the hot oil to create steam. That would be my W.A.G. Once the water was gone, no more spin.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

In reply to #6

03/06/2017 5:06 PM

Perhaps, and if Clem kept on injecting water, pretty soon the oil would cool off, and the whole thing would fizzle. Instead of "would", one can substitute "did".

But true believers are not easily dissuaded.

In reply to #7

03/06/2017 5:22 PM

Yes. But from what I have read about this, Clem didn't let anybody get close enough to this to see how it worked, that says he was hiding something (which we already knew). He may have been heating the oil externally or even spun it with a motor.

What I know about this, besides over unity and perpetual motion can't exist, I have read about in the last week or so.

I would really like to know what somebody, that has spent years studying Clem and his engine, that tried to replicate it without success, thinks Clem did to convince people he had a over-unity device. From what I have read in the last week, many people believe he did.

In reply to #8

03/06/2017 5:32 PM

That's a legitimate question, but I bet it doesn't get answered properly.

In reply to #9

03/06/2017 5:45 PM

I'll wait, I want to know what the expert thinks. And by "expert" I am not inferring an insult. Tommey has studied Clem and his engine for years, in my eyes, he is an expert in Clems over unity device.

In reply to #10

03/06/2017 7:09 PM

Years of study don't necessarily make anyone an expert on anything. But maybe we'll see.

In reply to #10

03/06/2017 7:10 PM

Hi Jpool and others,

I have built many prototypes on the theory of how the clem engine worked, this one did not at all from keelynet.

I did many water power design and what it did do is produce my GPM of water that used more energy in the water pump as seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2L_PBGgHZw

Yes the pressure drop due to the centrifugal forcing water outward, but using more electrical power due to moving more gpm's.

This experiment was interesting instead of using a water pump, I use a hydraulic pump at around 300 psi at low gpms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaMyKhY6kZw&t=131s

even know I did not get these up to over unity, they did give me some good positive data.

When using a hydraulic gear pump, the flow of fluid and no pressure use very little input of mechanical work, but add pressure to the output and now you need more mechanical work. psi*gpm/1714 =hp

Lets look at this is a simple way:

Pump 1 has 10psi@7gpm at 1000 rpm.

pump 2 has 100 psi@7gpm at 1000 rpm.

Because the gear pump is limited to 7 gpm at 1000rpm,the pressure would have to change for the mechanical load.

Why is this fact important is because of Richard Clem said he had a 7 stage pump, I believe he used not the pressure but volume to run a hydraulic vane motor.

In other words it was not a rim jet of any kind, but a volume pump, when starting the gear pumps (7 stage pump) it pulled a vacuum of fluid from the vane motor that draw fluid from the input of the motor. The accumulator act as a inverted piston of fluid, pulling more fluid then a single vane motor could equal, until is reach a implosion of fast moving fluid through the vane motor that will increase in speed.

As the unit speeds up the fluid is forced outward from the pumps acting like a vacuum. This have a diameter of say 2ft, so your centrifugal force is very high the faster you go.

This is also why I say it has a implosion effect on the accumulator, pull fluid outward from the gear pumps. Because it's not really a vacuum due to solid fluid, but it does have the vacuum in the outer rotation disk.

This picture sum it up:

Tom.

Register to Reply Score 2 for Off Topic
Commentator

In reply to #12

03/06/2017 7:20 PM

What happen in this model is the hydraulic motor locked up and no gear pump of the output from the cone was used. It had lots of vacuum of fluid and cavitition, but would not increase flow rate.

Tom

Commentator

In reply to #13

03/06/2017 7:50 PM

Why I call it a implosion of fluid is due to more fluid being pulled outward at a set speed and fluid increase in speed going in to match GPM flow.

Guru

In reply to #15

03/06/2017 8:02 PM

Your not going to answer my legitimate, on topic, as you posted it, questions are you?

As you the O.P. posted this thread, it's about Clem's claims and his over-unity engine. You asked us was it real or fake. You didn't say this was about your tornado based implosion engine.

I am trying to stay on topic, as should everybody else.

In reply to #15

03/06/2017 8:34 PM

That is not what an implosion is.

In reply to #21

03/06/2017 8:51 PM

Ok, I like to think of it as a implosion even know it's a vacuum.

Guru

In reply to #23

03/06/2017 9:16 PM

Why would you prefer even less correct terms? Oh, never mind.

In reply to #12

03/06/2017 7:25 PM

Hi, Tommey Reed.

Ok, but what I asked is what do you think Clem did? You already know it doesn't work. You asked us if it was real or fake, I for one, answered your question. So do you think he faked it? Or did he have some other way of spinning it? I would like to hear your honest opinion of Richard Clem and his engine. What about the water theory?

I am being professional in this thread unlike the last one. This thread was not posted with your tornado based implosion engine as the topic, we know what I think about that. You posted it about Clem's claims.

I gave you my honest opinion about Clem's claims, I would like to hear yours.

Thanks

By the way, although "Hi JPool and others" is a friendly greeting, it's just me and the Tornado here, don't be afraid of the Tornado. You should greet him with the same respect you greet me. As I greeted you.

In reply to #14

03/06/2017 8:13 PM

Yes I do believe Richard Clem did it, but nobody knows how.

Every other claim of over unity there are thousands of stories and how to build them and none of them worked.

All I found was other expalining how could he do just that, I believe most of the claims are a idea due to the fact nobody knows how it could have worked.

Why would pictures like these be on his engine.

Pictures say a lot about his claims.

I believe he discover something by rotating a system in hydraulic he was able to cancel out the pumps to drive the hydraulic motor.

I believe it was just that a hydraulic motor that he used to spin the mass while the pumps where creating a type of a fluid vacuum to increase motor speed.

His first model blow it's self apart, what if he created a type of water spout of hydraulic fluid that increase the motor speed?

My goal is to test every possible answer to this question, could he have made a type of a water spout or a tornado engine?

Tom.

Guru

In reply to #18

03/06/2017 8:30 PM

I thank you for your honest answer, you believe Richard Clem built an over-unity engine that worked.

You say there were thousands of other stories of over-unity that didn't work, but nobody, including you, can't get his claims to work.

I would really like to know how Clem broke the laws of thermodynamics.

Do you, the Clem expert (again not an insult, you are the most knowledgeable person I have ever heard talk about Clem), have a theory on how he broke fundamental laws of physics as in thermodynamics? Or are the laws of thermodynamics just wrong as we know them?

In reply to #20

03/06/2017 8:48 PM

I was trying to say that other claims of over unity, their was thousands of claims of machines out there that did not work, but very little information about the clem engine.

In fact almost nothing other then Keelynet and a few others.

It seem like this guy was not real, or no information of the news paper or other information. Was it real that everything was erase?

How could it work is as simple as a tornado, but did he add heat to his system or did the pumps produce enough heat to add something else like water..

I don't know until I build this next model, that will produce the effects like a waterspout. it will be one of the best unit built with many important input and output results.

Guru

In reply to #22

03/06/2017 8:57 PM

Well you already said that Richard Clem did it, and that is fine.

I want to ask you one more stupid question (I say stupid, because obviously you know more about this subject than I), this is a simple yes or no question, do you believe that perpetual motion, over-unity, and free energy are possible?

"Yes or No", then I will leave you alone and just read your thread from here on out. Be honest.

Thanks.

Good Answers: 62
In reply to #24

03/06/2017 9:58 PM

drum roll please

In reply to #24

03/06/2017 11:00 PM

I would say no, everything I worked on so far needed some type of energy input, as far as efficiency that can always be improve.

Just like a tornado needs energy to spin so will my project, but efficiency would be interesting.

Could energy be stored to run for a short time like a battery, I really don't know until I build it.

Again I say no, over unity seem impossible....

Tom

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1028
In reply to #28

03/06/2017 11:08 PM

Well we are all happy to hear that I'm sure....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_storage

In reply to #28

03/07/2017 3:00 AM

Kind of contradictive to what you said in post #18.

"Yes I do believe Richard Clem did it, but nobody knows how."

Kind of sounds like you can't make up your mind.

(Unsubscribes)

In reply to #30

03/07/2017 6:19 AM

Again, I do believe the engine was built, but how did he build it and what did it run on.

Cooking oil has problem when using it as a rim jet, if gets air while its hot, it starts to produce heavy grease when cooled.

Could he have design a type of diesel engine? if the pressure was above 300 psi you will have even cooking oil explode by just adding oxygen bubbles in the system.

It could be a type of jet engine or something else, but I believe it used cooking oil to run it maybe as the hydraulics and fuel in one.

If you have a diesel effect even in a rim jet of fluid, your pressure would so high that 350hp would be no problem as claimed.

Even with a combustion chamber like a accumulator of fluid exploding, wold cause a hydraulic motor to have more torque to do work.

So like I said, I believe he built his engine, was it over unity no!

Tom

Guru

In reply to #18

03/07/2017 3:27 AM

No. All of that is ridiculous.

03/06/2017 7:58 PM

I think that inventor was Clem....

.... Kadiddlehopper....

In reply to #16

03/06/2017 8:28 PM

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #19

03/06/2017 10:30 PM

Schaubergers' ideas didn't work....he was a nutcase...Just look at his background to see his qualifications as an engineer....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Schauberger

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

JE in Chicago (1); JPool (11); SolarEagle (3); TommeyReed (10); Tornado (7)

Previous in Forum: Butterfly Valve   Next in Forum: Ansys Workbench Help

Advertisement