CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Transformer Problem   Next in Forum: Replacing MR On Load Tap Changer.
Close
Close
Close
17 comments
Associate

DC LED Lighting

03/09/2017 10:31 AM

Many clients are asking for DC LED in their specifications to meet the emergency lighting requirements,in a power plant. Would like to know if any vendor is offering the same.

Regds

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 57

Re: DC LED Lighting

03/09/2017 10:53 AM

I am 40 years removed from the industrial/institutional building industry, so don't know the answer for sure, but in 1976 we used AC charged battery powered DC emergency lighting then. Obviously not LED, but since such fixtures have been in existence for more than 50 years, there must be LED versions by the dozens by now. Have you tried an internet search for such? I would guess not.

I am referring to the double headed battery pack lighting units we've used for 50 years, but I think I could easily install an LED/battery/charger/voltage drop sensor in a fluorescent type fixture for low ceiling areas, so surely that version exists as well. Why I think I could even install such in a high bay vapor type fixture as well. Try searching for it - if I could rig up such an item, they have to be made by dozens of lighting companies by now.

Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 413

03/09/2017 11:38 AM

Look here...

Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 187

03/09/2017 12:52 PM

Like this?

10-1/4" x 2-3/4" x 4-1/4" LED Emergency Light, Ceiling/Wall Mounting

• Item# 4ZDA5
  • Mfr. Model# ELM2 LED HO
  • Catalog Page# 438
  • UNSPSC# 39111706

Using 360° Viewing:

1. Rotate: Use top-to-bottom, side-to-side by use of mouse arrow.
  2. Zoom In: Double click on image.
  3. Zoom Out/Reset: Put photo at full zoom & then double click.

Your Price $97.64 / each

List Price $110.95

Grainger : LED Emergency Lights

Good Answers: 136
In reply to #3

03/09/2017 1:49 PM

Hey Johnny: you are supposed to say, "the dog ate my homework", much less do the homework, legwork, footwork, and handwork for the OP.

LED lighting is uniquely suited for emergency lighting, because the low power draw makes for well lit hallways, plant basements, etc., not the old dungeons we are used to on TV dramas. It is apparently impossible for the hero to get in a shoot-out anywhere except two places (1) abandoned power plant, or (2) abandoned chemical factory of one type or the other, (3) cement factory (actually counts as a chemical factory IMHO).

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

In reply to #5

03/09/2017 2:28 PM

I know, but I was feeling charitable. Sometimes that happens. By the way, it's James, not Johnny. I have a sneaky suspicion that will be easy for you to remember.

In reply to #6

03/13/2017 8:44 AM

The Johnny thing was a reference to "Little Johnny" at school, not necessarily JPool. Thanks for the warning, I will make sure and remember your name.

In reply to #12

03/13/2017 9:43 AM

No warning, just thought I would let you know that also have the great name "James"

In reply to #13

03/13/2017 10:41 AM

Yours is probably less tarnished than mine.

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 345

03/09/2017 1:44 PM

Is this for a zoned hazardous area (gas or dust) or just plain industrial?

In reply to #4

03/13/2017 5:01 AM

Industrial plant...

Register to Reply
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 345
In reply to #11

03/13/2017 3:18 PM

These are a very common then.

Contact your preferred lighting supplier as they should have these.

Good Answers: 3

03/10/2017 1:42 AM

Amazon.....

In your case, amazon.in

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: California, USA, where the Godless live next door to God.
Good Answers: 722

03/10/2017 6:38 AM

So the battery backed emergency exit pathway lighting is one option, but a new one offered now because of the energy efficiency of LED lighting is to change out your high bay area lighting or your old fluorescent tube lighting with 48VDC LED fixtures that have a battery backup feature either built in to each fixture or powered by centralized battery banks that allow you to ride through a transfer to a backup generator. Several companies offer this option.

http://www.activeled.com/products/high_bay_lights/

http://www.dialight.com/Assets/Brochures_And_Catalogs/Illumination/MDTFSHCATX001.pdf

Good Answers: 10

03/10/2017 10:20 PM

There is many type of DC LED emergency light available in the market. Get the catalog and specification from these suppliers and you can compare it it with any vendor.

Management is just like a bunch of Monkey sitting on a tall tree. Some climb to the highest branch and some at the lowest branch. The highest Monkey look down and see a lot of happy faces but the lower Monkey looks up and see nothing but all the....
Register to Reply
Associate

03/13/2017 5:00 AM

Thanks a lot for giving me so many leads.

Regds

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 695

03/13/2017 5:17 PM

Is there some reason why Google cannot be used at that location to search for emergency lighting vendors?

In reply to #16

03/14/2017 8:38 AM

They have not heard of Google, and duck duck go would not touch it.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

capri (1); jack of all trades (2); James Stewart (4); JPool (3); JRaef (1); Phys (1); PWSlack (1); RAMConsult (1); ravipra01 (2); Simon Wan (1)

Previous in Forum: Transformer Problem   Next in Forum: Replacing MR On Load Tap Changer.

Advertisement