CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Scientists Unveil New Form Of Matter: Time Crystals   Next in Forum: Cooling an LED Array
Close
Close
Close
17 comments
Commentator

Good Answers: 1

New Video!

03/09/2017 5:03 PM

Hello, I am The Maker
Because of recent constructive feedback, I have decided to make another video. This video is of a project that I completed in the fifth grade that is also made out of popsicle sticks.

enjoy!

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 115

Re: New Video!

03/09/2017 5:18 PM

Ah man, that's great! Love the soundtrack! Almost expected to see pirates pouring out of the thing.

This is priceless. Five stars.

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #1

03/09/2017 8:40 PM

Can you guess what movie the soundtrack is from?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

03/09/2017 10:34 PM

Not a clue.

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #12

03/10/2017 6:01 PM

The Poseidon Adventure!

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 204

03/09/2017 5:19 PM

You did that in the 5th grade? I see excess glue but the fact you were 10 or 11, still really impressive. See my post #26 in your other thread. I see a drastic improvement from then till now. Please keep it up.

By the way, I have built some cool stuff in my life but I wasn't building stuff that good in the 5th grade.

I hope to see you as a regular here.

In reply to #2

03/09/2017 8:42 PM

Thank you, what sort of things have you built? Can you show me any pictures?

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 748

03/09/2017 6:00 PM

I have to ask--did you actually eat that many popsicles?

Your models are really neat. You seem to have good intuition for structure, which in time you can flesh out with the underlying math.

Best wishes for success in whichever direction you might choose.

In reply to #3

03/09/2017 8:45 PM

I am exited to learn the math. I am in the 10th grade and am taking differential calculus and I am learning a lot of math this year. I am also in chemistry honors and am enjoying that.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 770

03/09/2017 7:49 PM

Hate to tell you this but you're overqualified to work at most every place I have ever been employed by.

It would appear you have,

1. Intengence.

2. Creativity.

3. Skills that could serve a purpose.

4. Motivation to actually do something constructive.

5. Hope to be more than you are now.

To the majority of management any one of those is a perceived threat and you sir are clearly full of all 5 and thusly a pentafecta threat to not just them but a good 99% of the working world as it now stands.

Nobody loves an achiever these days is what I am saying and you are clearly an achiever of the high order. (No jobs for you.)

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #4

03/09/2017 8:48 PM

Is this satirical, or are you saying that employers would be scared of my potential and not hire me because of that?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

03/09/2017 9:44 PM

His answer is likely...yes...and yes...

Pay no attention to our ND tire burner. He has more common sense than anyone is due, which sometimes breeds a little sarcasm.

United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 11
In reply to #9

03/10/2017 9:30 AM

There are employers out there like TCMTECH describes, but you wouldn't want to work for them anyway.

There are also some very good employers out there.

Good Answers: 770
In reply to #9

03/10/2017 11:12 AM

As others pointed out its a bit of both.

Back about 25 - 30 years ago I ws gent passionate about learning and allround enjoyed creating things few others could or would do and likely as with you my peers told em I would go far in life with such brains skills and passions.

Nope. Reality is finding a job where you can exercise any of that at all let alone the first half of you working life is very rare unless you make the job yourself.

When you first start out in the working world you will encounter senior coworkers who will not hesitate to throw you under the company bus to make sure you don't take their job that they know damn well you are already more qualified and capable of doing then they are despite having done it for a lifetime.

If they don't get you the overachieving half wit who lied his way into his managerial job over you will likely set you up for a fall that will then justify his getting rid of you so that you don't become a viable threat to his also undeserved job he has even if yo have zero want or intention in taking it. (Nobody in high school career counseling or college ever tell you about either of those issues despite the glaring reality of it.)

Personally I entered the working world when I was 19 and experienced both situations more than once by the time I was 24. I then went back to college for a second degree in Electrical Engineering degree only to come out 'overqualified' for most jobs that I was 'under qualified' for before I went back and got the second education.

Sad part was for the time and money spent on that EE degree I came out dumber and less qualified for having been there being the education I got has so little to do with EE or any form of engineering its was pathetic.

Now that's not to say I have not had any good jobs in my life. Rather I have had several but unfortunately none became long term career work due to the businesses I worked for either restructuring and eliminating my position, changing hands from having been ran by good decent people to being ran by their village idiot kids (everyone who was of value and could afford to do so abandon ship),they went out of business, or they just shut down their local operations and left.

Personally I would say that for someone like you hope for the best but honestly do your damnedest right from the start to set yourself up with solid self supporting personal resources you own outright to yourself (self employment sideline work and related resources) right from day one.

Sure you may not have all the fancy new toys and big fancy new house everyone sle who is in their 20's and 30's and even beyond will have but unlike them you won't have their debts and be stuck in a job you hate and have no way out of either.

Plus if you play your life's self investment cards even half as badly as I did mine you will likely end up like I did and by the time you in your mid 30's owning everything you have outright plus have just enough stability in your own self sufficiency to not actually have to work for anyone if you don't want to!

Believe me there is few things more satisfying in life than being able to tell what ever employer you are with that you are there because you want to be and not because you have to be since unlike the rest of the workforce you are not buried under a pile of debt and life financial obligations you can't escape!

Also with that being able to tell them that the typical person will automatically assume it's because you are financially well off to the point that they have every reason to believe that if they screw up bad enough you have the financial resources to lawyer up and create a world of hurt even if you don't.

Believe me when my past employers and coworkers became aware I worked the jobs I did because I wanted to and not because I had to the most common question was, "how rich are you and how did you get it being you clearly have a work ethic, life attitude and skill sets that doesn't go with being well off from mommy and daddys money? !"

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 330

03/09/2017 7:58 PM

Arrrrrr.. that's one fine ship, matey..

In reply to #5

03/09/2017 8:48 PM

This is why I love this forum!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 8

03/10/2017 11:20 PM

Where's Jack Sparrow?

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Commentator

In reply to #16

03/11/2017 5:38 AM

I like your profile picture.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 17 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andrew Westman (2); gutmonarch (1); JPool (1); phoenix911 (1); tcmtech (2); The Maker (7); Tornado (1); Troy36 (1); WJMFIRE (1)

Previous in Forum: Scientists Unveil New Form Of Matter: Time Crystals   Next in Forum: Cooling an LED Array

Advertisement