CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®
Login | Register for Engineering Community (CR4)

Previous in Forum: Cooling an LED Array   Next in Forum: Improvised "Caption This"
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 9

Flippy the Burger-Cooking Robot

03/10/2017 9:53 AM

Lately we've had some conversations around the office about the impact of robotics on future employment opportunities. Today I saw a story about Flippy, a robot that can perform many different kitchen tasks. What happens to the food preparation workforce? How will college kids earn their tuition money? Will we eventually let robots run the economy so the humans can sit home, draw a stipend from someplace, and watch TV?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 58

Re: Flippy the Burger-cooking Robot

03/10/2017 10:37 AM

Indeed. We shall become reliant on technology shortly before a solar flare or otherwise devastating event kicks our collective buttons back a few years. It might not be today or tomorrow, but analog will rise again.

In the meantime I'd like a number 242 with some 86 on the side. Oh and could you put a 210 on that instead of 188? It doesn't agree with me.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 207
In reply to #1

03/10/2017 11:32 AM

more than 20 years ago I stopped into a Taco Bell to get some lunch. it happened to be one of their "test stores". they were installing terminals right were the line normally forms. I inquired about it all. the taco Bell corporate guy explained how they thought it was an attempt to speed the line up. I suggested the terminals should have the ability to have a code so customers who like me always got the same order could just tap in the code and all the info instantly would show up in the kitchen without me going through the 10-20 steps of ordering. he "got it" immediately.

I haven't seen it yet

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 735

03/10/2017 10:40 AM

Meet George Jetson!

Maybe we our future is instead heading to the movie Idiocracy.

I think this movie was inspired by the C. M. Kornbluth short story, The Marching Morons. (That's a free PDF link of the whole short story. Enjoy. I guess the short story is more uplifting than the movie.)

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 296
In reply to #2

03/10/2017 11:28 AM

George Jetson coming home from work.

George: "I had a rough day"

Jane: "Oh, I'm sorry to here that George, what Happened?"

George: "I had to turn the machine off and on twice today,... can you believe that? I'm telling you, Mr. Spacely is working me to death."

Good Answers: 456

03/10/2017 10:59 AM

We're well on our way there. Watch "How It's Made". It basically shows how machines build amazing things while the "operators" carry the products from one machine to the next or clean up the scrap left over, the kind of jobs in former times relegated to the apprentice learning a skill.

It's only a matter of time before the unskilled jobs are also automated.

Register to Reply
Commentator

Good Answers: 3

Re: Flippy the Burger-Cooking Robot

03/10/2017 11:31 AM

It is going to happen. In our little company we design and build a system called ARPIS (Autonomous Robotic Pipe Inspection Systems).

Yes it is going to replace many inspectors. I have grappled with the moral impact of this question many times.

So why? I can only state that the first unit we built

we randomly put it in several pipes that was approved to ship by inspection. On about the fourth pipe we detected an out of round condition that exceeded the specifications.

The unit will make around 8000 readings in 2 minutes and 30 seconds. That is impossible for a human to accomplish. It will automatically go back and re-inspect a yellow or red flag condition.

Will this unit come back from the future and try to kill Sara Conner, nope. but it will

provide for higher quality pipe that is less likely to blow when transporting oil or natural gas.

I firmly believe that repetitious,monotonous tasks will be replaced by robotics in the future.

Good Answers: 720
In reply to #5

03/10/2017 12:53 PM

That is exactly why we are heading for a fully automated society.

We expect high quality for as little cost and time invested as possible and we have reached the point where machines can reliably provide that demand at levels that no human can begin to match.

The way I see it it's not new. We already did this revolution before when we made the mass switch from human and animal power to machine power for rudimentary labor work and transportation related needs a 100+ years ago.

Now our machine intelligence and control tech has finally reached the level of sophistication and reliability that it's able to cost effectively compete with the typical non skilled labor human at most any basic semi skilled tasks if not totally out do them at them.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 963

03/10/2017 12:14 PM

Wendy's is installing self-service kiosks....

Seems like every major box store you go into now has self-checkout lanes...

Well what would you do, hire some kid for $10 an hour or install a machine that costs a year's salary for that kid that lasts for 10 years, works 24/7 if needed, is never late blah blah blah.....But.....it's a catch-22, you don't give these kids jobs and soon you have no customers...well soon everything will be delivered anyway, and nobody will work....

C'mon now tell the truth, if they had these cool floating lounge chairs, wouldn't you want one?

In reply to #7

03/10/2017 12:29 PM

In reply to #8

03/10/2017 3:29 PM

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #8

03/10/2017 11:09 PM

Uhmm...have they included in the design anti-moment reactions when the vehicle is block on the lower part by some brake failure or road debri? Probably this vehicle design is good for road acrobatics.

Good Answers: 3

03/10/2017 4:22 PM

Yes but will it spit in your food? (the Big Bang Theory)

Good Answers: 118
In reply to #11

03/10/2017 4:43 PM

No, it wont spit, but it may drool a little hydraulic fluid because there is no one that knows how to fix it

In reply to #12

03/10/2017 5:26 PM

Don't worry that's "Food Grade" hydraulic fluid....yum

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0615896

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 296
In reply to #13

03/10/2017 7:15 PM

remember with Lays potato chips started using Olestra oil for cooking their chips...

well for some people,... the side effect was explosive diarrhea

"Olestra was approved for use as a food additive in snack foods in 1996 and soon after became famous for its negative gastrointestinal side effects, including intense diarrhea and anal leakage. In the Purdue study, researchers put rats on either a high fat or low fat diet and allowed them to eat as much as they wanted."

In reply to #14

03/10/2017 9:07 PM

Yeah boy was that a bomb....I tried it once, just a few chips, stomach started tying itself in knots, that was enough for me....

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Fredski (1); gringogreg (1); gutmonarch (1); JE in Chicago (1); phoenix911 (2); redfred (1); Rixter (1); ronc (2); SolarEagle (5); tcmtech (1)

Previous in Forum: Cooling an LED Array   Next in Forum: Improvised "Caption This"

Advertisement