CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Oak Island - No Disappointment   Next in Forum: Pic Of The Day
Close
Close
Close
42 comments
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 208

Glue it Back Together

03/10/2017 2:45 PM

Why does this shot from Oroville make me nervous?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Re: glue it back together

03/10/2017 2:57 PM

it's been reported that dam repairs are running just under $5 million per day

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 306
In reply to #1

Re: glue it back together

03/10/2017 3:42 PM

unfortunately... a case like this, project cost isn't negotiable.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 170

Re: Glue it Back Together

03/10/2017 3:42 PM

They are probably using 2k epoxy which at 12000 psi, is stronger than the concrete. I hope they are getting it in deep as possible.

I have used something similar when joining new concrete to old concrete. Drill 12" deep holes, blow out dust, squirt in epoxy, stick rebar in. I was told that process is as strong as sinking an L bar in wet concrete.

This was demonstrated to us at the yard I worked at with a 2 cubic yard block of concrete, they made the rookies, (myself) drill 2 holes 6" apart, we glued a "u" shaped piece of rebar into the holes. A week later, the operator picked it up with an excavator and shook it while suspended. The rebar deform to a v shape and almost tore in half, but the epoxy held. That block weighed about 8000lbs.

What I am saying is, as long as they are doing it right, this is a long lasting and strong repair.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 741
In reply to #3

03/10/2017 3:51 PM

It's not the epoxy that makes me nervous. What makes me nervous is that I can see in this low resolution picture other cracks that are neither paint marked for repair or already filled with a bonding agent.

Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 406
In reply to #4

03/10/2017 10:32 PM

What should make us nervous are the cracks deep in the dam that can't be seen/reached/repaired!! This surface treatment is just as effective as a bandaid on a GSW.

In reply to #10

03/10/2017 10:37 PM

I haven't read if any sonic testing has been performed but I doubt it

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #3

03/10/2017 3:56 PM

there is no question that when the area is prepped correctly and temp, humidity drying time etc. are followed that thr epoxy is super strong but water flowing in the millions of gallons over a spillway has a way of exposing screw ups. to me this like having the old car with 200K on it, why spend endless money when it keeps breaking down? they got their 50 years now the choices seem stupid and wasteful.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

In reply to #5

03/10/2017 4:21 PM

What makes me nervous is I see no compressed air lines. They need to be injecting the epoxy as deep as possible. Dude with a putty knife ain't getting it.

In reply to #6

03/10/2017 4:31 PM

I did say "CORRECTLY"

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

03/10/2017 4:39 PM

No Sir, you did not. 12000 psi epoxy is only good when it is securely stuck to something. It's California, who knows what they are doing.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 737
In reply to #5

03/10/2017 5:53 PM

Because they need something fairly quick to deal with spring runoff, without necessarily pretending that it will be a long-term repair.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 22
In reply to #9

03/11/2017 10:41 AM

We all know that a temporary repair will become permanent if it doesn't cause trouble. In this case trouble will show up when it is too late!

Guru

Good Answers: 738
In reply to #5

03/11/2017 11:22 AM

I take it you never live a life where you were indebt over your head with no foreseeable way out and had no choice but to drive a old high mileage vehicle.

The problem is because like most people who are in debt over their heads and drive old 200K mile vehicles they can't afford to "buy a new one" right now or any time soon.

Especially when when right now they are the equivalent to being 1000+ miles from home so for the time being its fix what they can to keep it going until more viable options can be looked at.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

In reply to #22

03/11/2017 11:35 AM

Don't get wrong I'm a longtime fan of "beaters" but if this dam fails the impact to lives is enormous. I'd rather see it taken out of service until a well engineered spillway was in place to act as the main regulating mechanism for water height and pressure. the point of the thread is this Band Aid approach might get them through the runoff season but millions of gallons of rushing water have already demonstrated their destructive potential. I think it's a gamble. lets all hope they can limp this wounded dam past Spring

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #23

03/11/2017 2:30 PM

Unfortunately a dam like this where it is isn't something that can just be parked beside the garage until further repairs are able to be done.

Once it's in place and running it's rather has to stay that way until the new design is ready to be put in place.

Which for a large a scale public works project such as this in california, it could take 1 - 2 decades and a billion plus dollars of burned up taxpayers money just for the all the bureaucratic and environmentalists red tape to be payed off before the first guy who actually does something to the dam takes his first shovel full of dirt in order to actually start fixing the real problem that needed immediate attention right now today.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #25

03/11/2017 8:33 PM

B-But then we'll have to sacrifice our high speed rail line.

In reply to #27

03/11/2017 8:47 PM

Well if they gave up their cell phones for a week and sent that weeks cellphone bill money in to pay for it they could have the dam fixed the right way with money to spare.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #28

03/11/2017 9:03 PM

for the record I don't have an electronic dog leash, you have to email me if you want something

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 7
In reply to #3

03/10/2017 11:02 PM

Don't worry too much. It just a flesh wound.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru
Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 22
In reply to #3

03/11/2017 10:36 AM

Before I retired (we designed storage systems anchored to the floor), we usually specified expansion anchors; but another option, especially close to edges, was epoxy anchors which were a rod set in a hole with epoxy. (They were made by others, so I don't know what grade of epoxy.)

Good Answers: 59

03/10/2017 10:44 PM

There's reason to be scared. It's California. The concrete is actually granola.

The're injecting local honey from the farmers market which accounts for the 5 million a day repair number.

They plan to cover the cost of the repairs while lowering the level of the lake by bottling and selling the water to residents as quickly as possible.

Good Answers: 24
In reply to #12

03/11/2017 5:18 PM

Honey??? They should use molasses, they used it as mortar down here. Some has been in service for over 200 yrs.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 175

03/11/2017 9:14 AM

May I suggest to employ a 3-D Printer to fix the damn dam?

In a world gone crazy over 3-D printers it wouldn't be a stretch...

In reply to #14

03/11/2017 9:18 AM

that's a bit large

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

In reply to #15

03/11/2017 9:26 AM

So, manufacture a large enough printer to handle the fix. Naturally, it will be Made in Red China and will cost many times the cost of the dam repairs.

In reply to #16

03/11/2017 9:33 AM

screw that I want American made!

hope the leg is doing well

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #17

03/11/2017 9:44 AM

Will you settle for water-soluble Kalifornia-made white glue. That way it will wash out faster than that crappy soil they have built the dam with.

Thanks for the well wishes Fredski. 5 weeks out from the surgery and healing slowly thank you. The incision site is still tender, especially after the Doc removed the stitches this past Wednesday. YouuuOUCH!

In reply to #18

03/11/2017 9:54 AM

You're a big boy you can tough it out

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #19

03/12/2017 10:39 AM

Oh hell yeah, I've been through much worse, like the Army Docs picking Cuban grenade fragments out of my leg....

Grenada was a walk in the park.

Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Software Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 78

03/11/2017 1:38 PM

Because these men are getting ready to put their heads between their knees, and kiss themselves goodby.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 65

03/12/2017 8:51 PM

We Can Do This!

Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 3

03/13/2017 7:55 AM

I'm surprised they haven't tried Flexseal tape - it works just fine in the commercials!

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 741
In reply to #32

03/13/2017 9:35 AM

Now that would be one he;; of an endorsement.

Good Answers: 122
In reply to #32

03/13/2017 11:42 AM

Good luck getting FlexSeal to stick to anything other than fingers.

In reply to #34

03/13/2017 11:51 AM

Hey, don't bash Flexseal, you can make a boat out of screen with it. I saw it on TV, so it must be true.

In reply to #35

03/13/2017 11:57 AM

Yes, but I tried sealing up a leaking, cracked bird bath with it, and it will not stick to concrete.

In reply to #36

03/13/2017 12:12 PM

You didn't put screen on it, did you?

If they cover the whole spillway with screen and spray flexseal on it will be good as new. Just ask Phil Swift.

In reply to #37

03/13/2017 1:09 PM

LOL - good ol' Phil.

In reply to #32

03/13/2017 1:37 PM

the guy on cr4 who always carry duct tape must be there

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Guru

In reply to #39

03/13/2017 1:41 PM

I always carry duct tape, but I'm not there.

In reply to #40

03/14/2017 10:26 PM

Oh, I forgot his pseudo name. But his Icon was a bulldog not a husky like yours.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Guru

Location: just died off here (now i may flicker back for a while)

03/17/2017 7:55 AM

CA -- like SEA is a tectonically active area -- i guess they are also with limited budget

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

CaptMoosie (4); Casper71 (1); ci139 (1); dj95401 (1); Fredski (9); gutmonarch (3); James Stewart (3); JE in Chicago (1); JPool (6); JWthetech (1); Lehman57 (2); phoenix911 (1); RAMConsult (1); redfred (2); StandardsGuy (1); tcmtech (3); Ti QE (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Oak Island - No Disappointment   Next in Forum: Pic Of The Day

Advertisement