Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Active Contributor

Paint Viscosity

03/11/2017 12:58 PM

Dear All

I want to know whether industrial paint viscosity increases with time. Recently I came across one incident that epoxy paint is of manufacturing year 2012. we used paint in 2017. Paint coverage whichis normally 6-8 sqmts/litre but in this case coverage was only 2.41 sqmts/lit. What can be the reason is it viscosity of some thing else.

Regards

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 997

Re: Paint viscosity

03/11/2017 1:17 PM

Maybe you didn't mix the paint properly....paint does settle over time, and should be properly shaken periodically....What is your shaking schedule?

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 118

03/11/2017 5:52 PM

Remember, epoxy paint is a curing paint. As made with solvent it has a shelf life, even mixed. AFter application the solvent evaporates and the anti curing agent (also called driers) evaporates and the paint cures to its final hardness. Your paint, even with driers, has partially cured = more viscous = thicker coat = fewer square meters per liter

Paint drying additives

In reply to #2

03/12/2017 9:35 AM

Sorry i did not got your point. I am saying that paint lying unused in sealed cans for about 4-5 yearsand it opened in 2017. Then does solvent and anti curing agent evaporates during unused time of 5 years or does it evaporates immediately after opening cover or evaporates gradually after opening. Please guide me. Regards Pradeep

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 118
In reply to #8

03/12/2017 10:17 AM

Epoxy paint is metastable - it is ready to cross link, but the stabilizing additives and cross linking additives(driers) holg curing at bay, however random collisions allow for a slow degree of curing to take place - this results in a suggested shelf life of ~~1 tear(this varies with whoever made it). This gradual curing means the paint gradually gets more viscous = thicker coating - as you experienced. You can offset this by adding a little more of the suggested thinner for this paint to reach the application viscosity as measured by a draining cone/cup or other method

Viscosity measurements

This has limits, the paint can form small blobs of sured pain = usealess

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 683

03/11/2017 6:11 PM

If the tin is not fully sealed, then some of the solvent may evaporate at a rate determined by the leak. Viscosity of the remainder is therefore a function of the rate of the leaking solvent. <sigh>

Good Answers: 484

03/11/2017 6:58 PM

I assume that you are referring to unused and unopened epoxy paint. This might be of interest:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/epoxy-primer-shelf-life-unmixed-64962.html

It might also make a difference if it was exposed to extreme temperatures.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 172

03/11/2017 7:15 PM

I work with coatings on a professional basis. Every coating I buy is good for 1 year. You used a coating that is 5 years old, chances are that the main thinning component, has evaporated. You are lucky that your only problem is the coverage.

It's called a shelf life. All coatings have one.

United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 65

03/11/2017 7:59 PM

Another component that effects coverage is the substrate that the paint is applied to, wood, metal, concrete, gypsum board (drywall) etc, the more absorbent = less coverage. With 5 yr old epoxy paint I'm surprised you were still able to use it, damn self-life

Associate

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #6

03/11/2017 10:41 PM

We always store cans, with friction fit lids, that contain volatile products upside down. This promotes less evaporation of the volatile compounds since the heavier compounds better seal the lid. I haven't looked lately but the famous 'Plastic Wood" filler was being produced with the label 'upside down' to encourage inverted storage...and it works!

Good Answers: 122

Re: Paint Viscosity

03/13/2017 11:07 AM

Did you really expect a paint with a one year life in the can to last until convenient for your use (five years later)? Really?

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 264

Re: Paint Viscosity

03/13/2017 3:04 PM

The lid on a paint can is to keep the liquid from spilling out. It is not a positive seal for the solvents inside. Over time the solvents will slowly leak out.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

aurizon (2); dj95401 (1); James Stewart (1); JPool (1); Lenp (1); ozzb (1); pradeep4u (1); PWSlack (1); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Flow Rate Question   Next in Forum: Idea for Sculpture

Advertisement