CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Mass Flow Turbine Optimization   Next in Forum: Mag flow meter (Signet) totalizer creep
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Participant

Hydraulic Unit

03/13/2017 4:33 PM

I have an screen changer ( for a extrusion machine ), and this open/close with the help of a Hydraulic Unit.

All work very well on the unit, but almost one month ago the tank on the hydraulic unit is running under the minimum oil level. We add hydraulic oil on the tank to put the level on High.

Now the screen changer don't work!

My question is: the hydraulic oil was not same to the original, this is a problem?

we mix with the original oil on the tank's bottom, can we do this?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 703

Re: Hydraulic unit

03/13/2017 4:44 PM

A1) Apparently so.

A2) <...can we do this...> CR4 is neither a permission-giving entity nor does it assess competence. However, that <...we...> did this and <...the screen changer don't work...> is suggestion enough that the <...we...> has done something wrong.

One of the solutions is to read the manual that was supplied with the equipment and follow what it says therein. Another is to the original equipment manufacturer for advice and, if necessary, to arrange a Service Technician to attend and rectify the problem, because it cannot be seen from here.

Good Answers: 158

03/13/2017 4:45 PM

"My question is: the hydraulic oil was not same to the original, this is a problem?"

That was not a good idea. Different hydraulic fluids can have different properties - think viscosity, temperature ratings..., as well as different chemical makeups which might not be compatible. You wouldn't put brake fluid in your automatic transmission, or automatic transmission fluid in your brake cylinder would you? Both are hydraulic fluids, but they are made for different purposes.

"we mix with the original oil on the tank's bottom, can we do this?" I wouldn't do that if I were you - see answer above.

Your best bet is to get an OEM rep to come straighten it out.

Good Answers: 1140

03/13/2017 5:43 PM

You may have damaged the seals with an incompatible fluid...You can either get compatible seals or rebuild the cylinder to original spec, and get the original fluid...If you overfilled the reservoir you may have damaged the unit this way....In any case you need to learn more about this machine....

Good Answers: 771

Re: Hydraulic Unit

03/13/2017 10:23 PM

"Now the screen changer don't work!"

That tells us nothing.

Without defining what and why "it doesn't work" the overall question has zero value and is largely unanswerable with anything more than wide rough speculation at best.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 28

03/13/2017 10:28 PM

Have you tested to see if pressure is up to specs? What number was the original oil? How low did the oil in reservoir go did the pump stop pumping? Changing brand of oil may not be a problem if numbers are same. I worked in plant with 40 injection molding machines most hydraulic and have some experience. You should have done the testing before asking for help. If pump ran dry a new pump or cartridge may be in order. Need more data.

Participant

Good Answers: 1

03/14/2017 8:10 AM

I've worked on many hydraulic systems but can't say I know how yours is setup or operates (not much information to go on), but I do know fluids are incompressible, so even if the hyd. oil was not the same viscosity (I assume it was similar to what you've been using), then something else may be wrong. You stated you filled the tank full and now it doesn't work. If it stopped working that fast, maybe you have a high level shut-off switch? Is the hydraulic pump running at all? Have you checked/replaced the oil filter? (I've seen systems plug up because the oil tank had sediment which got stirred up by adding oil. Hyd. systems must be kept clean! Maybe there is entrained air in the system and it needs to be bled out (carefully). Otherwise, like others have said in the post, make sure you have the right hyd. oil for your machine. The manual or manufacturerer should be able to tell you. Good luck.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Register to Reply 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

jpsherman1 (1); Kilowatt0 (1); PWSlack (1); roy hammy (1); SolarEagle (1); tcmtech (1)

Previous in Forum: Mass Flow Turbine Optimization   Next in Forum: Mag flow meter (Signet) totalizer creep

Advertisement