CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Programming   Next in Forum: Magnetic Balance Test on Transformer
Close
Close
Close
17 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Control System for Hydro Generator

03/14/2017 9:23 AM

Hi control engineers. I am planning to install one from scratch. What's the basic control method for hydro generators?

I need some reference, if you please.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 122

Re: Control System for Hydro Generator

03/14/2017 10:20 AM

Usually it is a penstock (that includes necessary flow regulation valve(s)). Or if you want your generator to run 100% flow for the amount of head present at the penstock, you only need a nozzle to the turbine that produces this amount of flow all the time.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 406

03/14/2017 10:35 AM

Before you control the generator you need to know what you're controlling. What type of generator, AC/DC, Synchronous/Induction, standalone/paralleled (I hope not), etc., etc. But first you need to do a site survey to determine the amount of potential and kinetic energy that you can capture; things like dimensions, flowrate, seasonality, head, etc. Then you need to determine what type of waterwheel will operate under the flow/speed constraints determined by your site survey.

If you're starting to think that this is more involved than you first thought, you should Google on mini-hydro generators to start filling in the blanks.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #2

03/14/2017 11:48 AM

There's not so much materials in google for Archimedes Screw Generators control system. I am interested to find out. My thinking is that it's simple, but I bet there are establish schematics diagrams on this.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 406
In reply to #3

03/14/2017 12:13 PM

You haven't looked very hard, the first few pages of a Google search will provide plenty of information.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #4

03/14/2017 12:15 PM

It's all about ASG most, no controls.

Power-User

Good Answers: 9
In reply to #5

03/15/2017 8:39 PM

The controls & theory are the same for all generating sets. The mechanical items you adjust are different for different prime movers, you control water flow into the screw, valve or weir, even vary the inclination of some, that adjusts the speed/frequency. This type is interesting in that you typically start the turbine moving with an outside force, before it starts generating, maybe because of the large reduction gear. Those controls & changing between motoring & generating and controlling water flow during the change will be special controls compared to other types of machines, and maybe not that common. Otherwise all of the instruments & schematics will be applicable.

The controls for voltage are the same, they stay with the generator, don't care what the prime mover is.

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #3

03/15/2017 8:33 AM

http://www.westernrenew.co.uk/wre/hydro_basics/machines/archimedes_screw_turbines

Once you know what your flow rates and head are, the controls will be easily dealt with.

Guru

Good Answers: 110
In reply to #11

03/15/2017 9:44 AM

I can't see anything in there about controls. My guess is smallest Archimedes screw type is bigger than what AP1 has in mind. Perhaps he'll come back with more detail.

In reply to #13

03/15/2017 10:41 AM

They look for miracles based on assumptions and we answer, based on assumptions.

I shall assume doubt but love your positiveness.

Anonymous Poster #2

03/14/2017 1:31 PM
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 335

03/14/2017 7:25 PM

What size hydro generators?

I get the strong feeling this is for a multi MW hydroelectric dam project (but perhaps that's the cynicism kicking in).

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #7

03/14/2017 10:17 PM

Nope, its just a voluntary charity job for poor communities not reachable by electrical charge on the grid. Micro hydro that is.

Guru

In reply to #8

03/15/2017 9:22 AM

So then, you are wanting to provide safety lighting for the toilets?

Good on ya, mate. Nothing worse than being bitten on the posterior by a Black Mamba.

In reply to #12

03/15/2017 11:04 AM

Interesting to know what country he is looking to install this idea and who will maintain it and supply spares when it goes wrong.

Guru

In reply to #15

03/15/2017 11:25 AM

It will be built from coconut or palm nut hulls.

Good Answers: 110

03/15/2017 5:24 AM

Presumably you want to produce AC at a constant frequency and voltage.

The generator will have a voltage regulator, adjusting the field current to give correct volts, in the usual way.

You know what speed gives right frequency, so I think you measure actual speed, compare it with required, and adjust water input via a throttling valve till equal. Accommodates varying power demand. Problem with that is at reduced demand, energy is wasted by throttling (pressure drop) across the valve. Ideally it would be better to vary the flow but give full available pressure at the turbine (eg by varying penstock area) but I can't think of an easy way to do that, perhaps somebody can. It may not be a problem in your case, depending on the details.

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 683

03/15/2017 5:37 AM

Control method? Just vary the flow using valves, weirs or dams, especially if the installation is not on <...the grid...>. The control algorithm is "up/down a bit" until it produces what is wanted.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (4); Codemaster (2); IQ (3); jack of all trades (1); James Stewart (3); PWSlack (1); RAMConsult (2); rwilliams (1)

Previous in Forum: Programming   Next in Forum: Magnetic Balance Test on Transformer

Advertisement