CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®
Login | Register for Engineering Community (CR4)

Previous in Forum: Advice and Experience Requested   Next in Forum: What Is It?
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 9

Happy 149th Birthday to Liberty Hyde Bailey

03/15/2017 10:39 AM

I'm sure many of you horticulturally-inclined CR4 members know about Liberty Hyde Bailey, writer of Hortus, a Bible for horticulturists; creator of the College of Agriculture at Cornell and of many Agricultural Extension Services in the US; and founder of the American Horticultural Society, among many other achievements. He's one of my heroes. Just one of any of these accomplishments would be enough for one person.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 598

Re: Happy 149th Birthday to Liberty Hyde Bailey

03/15/2017 12:36 PM

Remins me of Dorothy Parker's best line: 'You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think."

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 207
In reply to #1

03/15/2017 5:44 PM

hmm

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 111
In reply to #1

03/16/2017 10:24 AM

If you are a Texas A&M Aggie you can however lead a mule to water, but Abner has to apply suction on the south end of this north pointed mule. Usually Abner will retort: "Pull her head up Luke, she's sucking mud!"

Good Answers: 19

03/17/2017 9:53 AM

Please explain to me how someone who is deceased can celebrate a birthday? This is a bit like celebrating ones birthday before they have been born.

One birthday, one deceased day. It always puzzles me why people say 'Happy birthday' when you are 40,(or any other age), as 40 years ago you could not recall if it was a happy day when you were born. You (probably) were present at your birth, but you have no idea how the day was. It could have been a day of the most miserable blizzard, freezing, volcanically active day ever. Now what would have been so happy about that? And what is so happy about being evicted?

Mr. Bailey certainly lived a long while.(March 15, 1858 – December 25, 1954) and the Royal Horticultural Society, (UK) was only founded on 1804, so he did a pretty good job it seems.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

03/17/2017 10:33 AM

Happy Longevity Day?

The song totally loses its ring. Besides I can't repeat it here for want of violating that silly copyright.

Happy St. Patrick's Day, you are (like us all) supposed to be Irish and celebrate on this most glorious of days.

In reply to #5

03/17/2017 11:28 AM

No sir, not Irish at all. St Pat was an English slave and not Irish. And I forgot about this being St Pats day. Oh well!

I am actually a Gnome with no ghome to gho to. My country, devastated by hedgehogs and viscous squirrels and cheap plastic garden ornaments and decaying pot plants. Our gnome schools abandoned, our villages plundered and leveled, the garden pond dried up, a barren wasteland now. Sniff, sniff,sniff!

I shall sally forth or first, to the local tavern, summons the bar wench, and heartely drink my Guinness and sample the fine fare of a packet of crisps.

US Translation: go to bar, drink beer and eat chips.

Enjoy your St Pats day. Wear something green. Biodegradable shirts are green.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

03/17/2017 11:44 AM

I am wearing me John Deere socks today! Steal Irish is the way I play!

Garryowen! At least your choice of Guinness is the one all Irish should make, green beer sours the tummy! At least for God's sake, man, don't wear the red today!

In reply to #7

03/17/2017 12:28 PM

I am so lucky, I have a flock of rare iron sheep. All my socks and jumpers are made from steel wool.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Register to Reply 8 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Fredski (1); IQ (3); James Stewart (3); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Advice and Experience Requested   Next in Forum: What Is It?

Advertisement