CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: The Big Let Down in Molten Salt Nuclear Fission   Next in Forum: Ground Source Heat Pump - Calculators and Good Idea (?)
Close
Close
Close
3 comments
Commentator
Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member

Good Answers: 5

Art Rosenfeld the Father of Energy Efficiency

03/19/2017 2:27 PM

This is a moving tribute to a great person, covers the energy crisis and saving energy around the world and his contribution

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=mx46mCwCRS4

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: CFL energy efficiency white roof
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 759

Re: Art Rosenfeld the Father of Energy Efficiency

03/20/2017 10:23 AM

Interesting side note that with pretty much everything that became more energy efficient the overall quality of build and life expectancy dropped proportionally with it.

Thanks but I would rather spend the extra $40 - $50 a year to have my pre energy efficiency compliance refrigerators from the 60's and early 70's, that owe me nothing, than be like everyone else who has to replace their $1500 - $2000+ refrigerator every 5 - 6 years, that saves them that $40 - $50 a year, because they broke and can't be repaired.

And that just one example of likely a dozen more that show similar correlations to small energy cost savings not adding up to the huge and regular entire unit or system replacement costs that go with it.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1062
In reply to #1

03/20/2017 1:14 PM

Well the utility company initially paid for the replacements, so....I might add the insulation that was added to the attics will not wear out....Down here in the South it's all about the A/C units, and the utility companies pay a part of the cost of replacement....but these replacements are for A/C units that are worn out energy hogs...20 years old or more...and it's not that they aren't repairable, it's just not economically viable...Refrigerators and washing machines do seem to have experienced a drop in reliability due to poor quality control and in some cases weak components....but I think a lot of that is due to biodegradable plastics....misguided political influence, good luck dodging that bullet.....

Good Answers: 759
In reply to #2

03/20/2017 2:37 PM

I've never worked on a energy hog air conditioning system. I however have worked on many that were running pretty poorly due to years of neglect that just needed a good cleaning and a bit of TLC to get them going again.

But then to me any service call I can do that gets the customer up and running to their satisfaction and beyond for as little as possible that keeps some crook from screwing them is a win in my book.

I'll take a good running 40+ year old system that been long since paid for, even if lucky to top a EER of 12 on its best day, over a high dollar 15+ EER unit that gives up in less than a decade because some long since obsoleted circuit board worth $15 to manufacture gave up.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 3 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: The Big Let Down in Molten Salt Nuclear Fission   Next in Forum: Ground Source Heat Pump - Calculators and Good Idea (?)

Advertisement