CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Here's a Hot one, Pouring Concrete in Death Valley CA   Next in Forum: Have You Used This Material
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Active Contributor
Norway - Member - New Member

Engineering Consultant Company?

03/20/2017 10:52 AM

I am soon a fresh undergraduate with a bachelor in mechanical engineering, and I have some (many) questions for the engineers in the industry.

What kind of services do engineering consultant business offer, especially in the mechanical engineering field? Is it just to do a FEM/ strenght analysis on ansys, or just taking an idea and visualize it on solidworks?

- What service do/can they offer?

- How do I do a market research?

- Is it a big market for it?

- What is the future for engineering consultant firms?

Lets say I start my own consultant bussiness, how do I recruite clients and WHO are the clients?

I have great respect for the seniors, and I hope you can give advice based on your experiences and knowledge.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 997

Re: Engineering consultant company?

03/20/2017 11:09 AM

Well first of all you need a great deal of experience and success in the field....I would say at least 20 years, and more preferably 30 years....What's the world going to be like in 20 or 30 years, who knows...?

https://www.asme.org/career-education/articles/consulting/tips-to-succeed-as-an-engineering-consultant

http://www.bplans.com/engineering_consulting_business_plan/executive_summary_fc.php

Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 7

Re: Engineering Consultant Company?

03/20/2017 12:09 PM

You may have mastered the all theories presented to you in school, but until you have a few years of experience in a specific area of engineering, you have very little to compete successfully with job applicants that do...

Get an engineering job first, and then see if you even like (doing engineering) at all...

Good Answers: 122

03/20/2017 12:28 PM

Get your J.O.B. degree first:

“If your mind is empty, it is always ready for anything, it is open to everything. In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few. ”

Shunryu Suzuki

The more you look at a given project it will seem too many possibilities exist, but long meditations will narrow those down to one or two paths forward that make sense.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 308

03/20/2017 1:55 PM

What you have is a undergraduate degree. What that does, is open the door to a consulting business.

• You have no experience (co-op in this case does not count as experience)
  • You have no contacts
  • You have no 'Good Will' (client base)
  • You have no history
  • you have no cash flow
  • you have no collateral

This is just to name a few.

Get a job at a consulting firm(s) and start establishing your name. The longer, the better, minimum 20 years.

In that time, get your Professional licenses. After 10 years, start getting a business plan together. Your going to need that, when you go to the bank. You can even make a few practice runs at a bank to refine you business plans.

Remember, they are not going to lend you money if they think its a poor plan.

By this time,... 20 years would have past and your list should look like this

• experience
  • contacts
  • 'Good Will'
  • history
  • cash flow (your business plan will show this)
  • collateral
  • other items needed/required that will show in your business plan.

Good luck!

Good Answers: 122
In reply to #4

03/20/2017 2:00 PM

What phoenix911 and I are saying is that no mater what you want to do, you will sing the blues if you don't pay your dues.

Good Answers: 739

03/20/2017 4:48 PM

Over the years I have worked for a few small places that occasionally hired engineering consultants when dealing with what the 'simpler people' in charge had a hard time figuring out on their own.

Mostly was the guy who worked between them and the rest of crew translating engineering speak into simpleton speak (as I too often saw it being most of what got suggested got ignored in the end anyway for being 'to complex' and or 'to expensive' to be worth doing.)

Most of the consulting work I was around was just figuring out the technical details behind what ever it was and putting numbers to intended designs along with suggestions on what material specs and other related technical aspects needed to be considered so once whatever it was ws built it didn't burn down, blow up, fall apart or kill someone (or at least not while it was still within contractual warranty coverage periods anyway.) from such issues likely to come from the companies generally all round bad design, manufacturing and workmanship practices.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - Born, raised halfway 'round .....

Good Answers: 22

03/20/2017 11:55 PM

Consulting business - business of capable people and experts offering expert advise / solutions to real application problems...

Prospective clients - people seeking guidance / solutions to problems..

To be successful in this business one needs a lot of working experience and exposures in different engineering fields...and certain state licensed engineers under your employ!

Considering the above basic requirements, having finished an under graduate level degree, where do you think you will fit in and in what capacity? Unless you are filthy rich and can hire licensed, knowledgable qualified engineers, then you can open your own consulting company..

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 683

03/21/2017 4:06 AM

<...What service do/can they offer?...> Engineering Consultancies offer services by individuals and teams with plenty of Engineering expertise and experience to a range of different clients on a short-term basis in each case. It is a "feast or famine" style of working that doesn't suit everyone; the rewards are as high as the risks.

<...How...market research?...> Use the telephone, perhaps?

<...how...recruite clients and WHO are the clients?...> This is a Sales activity. Clients are individuals and organisations that are prepared to purchase consultancy services for a relatively short period of time, however if the business develops appropriately there is always scope for repeat orders.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 62

03/21/2017 7:13 PM

SolarEagle hit the nail on the head. Experience in a particular subject matter is what clients looks for. I didn't do any "independent" consulting (not for my employer), until I had 40 years experience in general engineering and about 20 years in a particular subject.

Go get a good job and learn as much as you can. Find a particular subject matter that you enjoy, and learn even more about it...then after many years you can be a consultant. You'll also need to learn about business and how to run one.

The company I worked for actually had a job code for "Consulting Engineer". To get that title you had to have experience and be approved by your peers.

Good luck!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

James Stewart (2); MR. Guest (1); phoenix911 (1); PWSlack (1); SolarEagle (1); tcmtech (1); Tom_Consulting (1); vsar (1)

Previous in Forum: Here's a Hot one, Pouring Concrete in Death Valley CA   Next in Forum: Have You Used This Material

Advertisement