CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Have You Used This Material   Next in Forum: Road Re-Surfacing
Close
Close
Close
35 comments
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 208

Oroville Chute Anchors

03/22/2017 8:20 AM

The highly damaged main spillway repairs continue. the upper section of the chute is being anchored with rock bolts and epoxy to strengthen the bond between the concrete chute and the bedrock beneath it. I'm including a quick vid of the system that's being used to drill the bolts, :note that the system addresses the fractures and voids that can not be seen from the surface by pumping grout after the initial drilling is complete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqEO38zmg1A

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 685

Re: Oroville Chute Anchors

03/22/2017 11:01 AM

There are other things in this universe apart from Oroville Dam spillways, one hopes.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

In reply to #1

03/22/2017 11:22 AM

oh come on Slack my job isn't to scan through data hoping to please you and Tornado, I post what I find interesting, did you even watch he clip?, it was a nifty system to anchor more than just spillways.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 685
In reply to #2

03/22/2017 11:29 AM

Export it to Pluto, then.

<unsubscribes>

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 737
In reply to #3

03/22/2017 11:38 AM

Are you sure that's the right planet?

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #4

03/22/2017 12:45 PM

are you sure it's a planet? ;)

Good Answers: 126
In reply to #3

03/22/2017 2:39 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen: We have a new winner in the "Replace Lyn with sideways compliments and outright discouraging remarks contest" - PWSlack wins hands down.

Someone has been leaving the roughage out of their diet, I suspect. Being constipated and full of "it", must be excruciating to say the least.

Good Answers: 747
In reply to #8

03/22/2017 3:36 PM

One weed dies another takes it place. Tis the circle of life.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

03/22/2017 3:42 PM

I get such a rise from our banter amongst friends, even among frenemies.

It takes all the fun out of violence to be able to talk it over.

Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 22
In reply to #2

03/23/2017 9:15 AM

I found it interesting. The example was apparently for the ceilings of underground mines. I'm also interested in the repairs to Oroville.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 749

03/22/2017 12:53 PM

That anchor system is an interesting design. I wonder how much the epoxy expands or contracts during curing and aging?

In reply to #6

03/22/2017 3:57 PM

I was wondering how far the grout would penetrate into the fractured surface as well.

In reply to #12

03/22/2017 4:03 PM

thanks Mike for at least watching the clip

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

03/22/2017 4:11 PM

I would think that the grout viscosity during pumping, pump pressure, and the size and quantity of rock base and overlay concrete determines that. I suppose (just guessing) that the operation of grouting is more art than science, but might just involve watching the grout hopper and the pressure gauge.

In reply to #14

03/22/2017 5:18 PM

We had some pilings installed a couple of years ago. The piling crew realized that they were using a lot of grout on one hole, but couldn't figure out where it was going until the toilets backed up in the buildings across the street. Oops! They had drilled into an abandoned sewer line that did not show up on the city plumbing map. It took 3 1/2 months for the city to figure out how to fix it and then to get it done.

United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 65
In reply to #15

03/23/2017 12:20 AM

In reply to #18

03/23/2017 9:56 AM

Great link, although it says that the maps did show the tunnel. :)

In reply to #15

03/23/2017 9:59 AM

I find that to be the funniest thing ever: "Hey Mildred, why is there grout in this toilet bowl?"

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #12

03/22/2017 11:34 PM

I have been told that grout can move a 100m into a system of cracks and voids. Funnily enough this was from a crew member who was pumping grout into securing foundations for a hydro dam, and the amount of grout eventually pumped was 10 times of the initial spec.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 33
In reply to #12

03/24/2017 1:19 PM

Yes--Epoxy is exothermic, (At least most are), so the catalytic component must have to be adjusted for viscosity and volume of penetration. How far can it flow before hardening? I did a lot of Structural Epoxy retrofits after the Northridge quake, in Los Angeles, and some were fraught with problems such as the above, as the epoxy technology was not as advanced as it is now.

Also, the video shows the process in 2-D, but how far in 3-D does that stuff have to flow? I.E.- How far apart are the rods so as to fill all of the voids, all the way around? Would love to be the supplier!!

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 749
In reply to #31

03/24/2017 1:53 PM

I suspect that time and immediate availability is of the essence. So if you have product on a shelf, you should CALL THEM!

03/22/2017 2:37 PM

Ne'er ya mind the blaggards laddie! I have seen some of them obloviate (it sure wasn't alleviate) about some of the most boring subjects on this forum.

This subject involves boring material, but the subject matter is not boring in its essence. This is quite a massive and substantial subject anchored in concrete, and down to earth at its core foundations.

I like the drill and grout pumping system, not bad ideas at all.

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 339

03/22/2017 2:53 PM

All together now "Anchors Aweigh, my boys, Anchors Aweigh!"

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 63

03/22/2017 10:33 PM

That's really neat! I wonder what the practical length limit is and if they have different diameters to chose from. Wish they had this a few years ago...might have saved the "Old Man in the Mountain".

United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

03/23/2017 12:36 AM

Anchoring systems were well known back in the '60's, "J" "L" bolts were common in foundations. But, because of cost, most "Bean Counters" will cut cost and eliminate them, as unnecessary cost. AKA, spend a Dollar to save a dime! (USD) of course

Maybe, just maybe lola might have the solution??

Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 200

03/23/2017 8:07 AM

This system seems more complicated than necessary.

Roof bolting in underground mines has been using chemical anchors for years.

Simply drill the hole, remove the drill to use again, insert the sausages containing the resin and catalyst, insert the bolt while driving it with the drill rig. Epoxy sets within 20 seconds or so apparent by the driver torque, then fit cover plate and nut.

This method used in hard rock (gold) and softer sedimentary (coal) mines.

Though with the water velocities described, whatever method is used might create cavitation erosion in the water flow path when it interacts with the bolt heads.

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 57

03/23/2017 8:22 AM

While this is extremely interesting, and I am following the progress through your posts, as opposed to some others who are complaining, I have to ask why you are so into this? Is it just as an engineering flaw, with the added suspense of engineering band-aids on the fly to try to correct the flaw, that has caught your attention, or are you downstream from the dam?

In reply to #21

03/23/2017 9:03 AM

I'll post whatever the hell interests me as long as it's on topic. why don't you and some of the other whiners actually research a few things and post a dozen threads or more a week to keep me entertained? once you pile up several threads as I have that top 1000+ views I'll consider your whiney complaints with more weight.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #22

03/23/2017 9:20 AM

I am following the progress through your posts, as opposed to some others who are complaining,

Excuse me....The above is the heart of my post - better read a bit more thoroughly before you bark.

I take that as a "no" to being down stream. So are you in the vicinity? You seem to have a lot of access to data on it.

Oh maybe I should just leave the dog alone - he seems vicious.

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #22

03/23/2017 5:05 PM

Hear, Hear! If you aren't interested don't bother to read the article. Negative comments are trite and boring

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 3)
Guru

Good Answers: 26
In reply to #22

03/27/2017 3:18 AM

Keep posting! I find it very interesting. And no, I don't live downstream ... well, maybe a few hundred miles!

What puzzles me is how our government agencies screw things like this up so badly. The St Francis Dam disaster is a great example. Mulhollland also built the Mulhollland dam (Hollywood reservoir) using the same techniques. The difference is in the material next to the dam.

I just watched an interesting piece on the Hollywood Reservoir dam. After the St Francis Dam disaster, residents made the city fill in the area behind the dam with dirt (to shore it up). Mulholland, also dropped the reservoir level - fearing another disaster if he kept it full.

I've never seen it in person, but I checked a map and it's 1/2 way between the Hollywood sign and the Hollywood Bowl. I'm going to plan to see it soon!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #33

03/27/2017 8:17 AM

I'd say 99%of residents in LA no longer know the Mulholland name. Or as only a road that winds through the Hollywood hills. I always think of the massive works projects he was so involved with and how he's still vilified to this day in some circles for the Mono lake project. LA will always owe him every time someone opens a tap.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #21

03/23/2017 8:09 PM

Weather, he's upstream or downstream, doesn't matter. The problem is, this is the tallest dam in the US and if it fails ..... Southern California won't suffer the flood waters but, they very well feel that aftermath with the lack of water. So, Engineer (fredski) or not, he has concerns about what happens at Oroville Dam. In fact I have family 30 miles South of this F××× up situation. I, too am watching the outcome

In reply to #29

03/24/2017 8:26 AM

We all have concerns about it, but I wanted his input on why he was so into it. I wasn't complaining that he was covering the situation, I just wanted to know his take on it and why it pushed his need to know button. Being close would certainly have been a logical reason.

I think he is taking the criticism too hard. I think the ones complaining are actually saying - "Hey, you do good posts, you've covered this one well, now lets get another train of thought going. We are a bit hyper active and have some attention deficit disorder you know."

Good Answers: 32

03/23/2017 10:29 AM

Thank you for the post.

I see the system not only plants the bolt but can also assist in repairing damaged areas surrounding it.

Good Answers: 26

03/27/2017 3:19 AM

Cool video! Looks like an expensive repair!

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 35 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Autobroker (2); C-Mac (1); cristle (1); dj95401 (3); Fredski (4); jack of all trades (1); James Stewart (5); Janissaries (1); jrileyjim (1); Just an Engineer (1); Lehman57 (1); Mike W (4); Phys (3); PWSlack (2); redfred (2); tcmtech (1); Tom_Consulting (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Have You Used This Material   Next in Forum: Road Re-Surfacing

Advertisement