CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: How To Use Same Modscan Software for Data Logging and Graphics   Next in Forum: Entry Level Stepper Motor Control / What To Use?
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Participant

Some Questions About My Infrared Remote Controller Design

03/22/2017 11:37 PM

Hi! I wonder if it is suitable to post this question here? Since it's about remote problems.

Have anyone ever designed an infrared remote controller? There is a homework for me to design a remote controller with several components.

But as I don't quite clearly know about the resonators which are necessary in a controller, I want to ask for your help.

My friend recommend me some ceramic resonators, and I chose this one: AWCR-20.00MD.

Now can anyone ansewer me the following questions:

• 1.Should I take the quality factor into consideration if I use it in my controller?
  • 2.Someone will use quartz crystal resonators when designing communication equipment, is it OK for me to use ceramic resonator rather than the crystal one?And what are the advantages and disadvantages of both of them?
  • 3.Do you have any other recommendations of the resonator?

Any suggestion will be appreciated!Thank you very much !

FYI here's the datasheet of AWCR-20.00MD:

www.kynix.com/uploadfiles/pdf8827/AWCR-20.00MD.pdf

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1086

Re: Some questions about my infrared remote controller design

03/23/2017 12:34 AM

"Modern IR transmitters typically use 8-bit microcontrollers with a 4 MHz master clock frequency, allowing a nearly arbitrary selection of the carrier frequency."

Remote ir controllers are built for purpose....the purpose will dictate the design....and the desired price point will dictate the quality.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_IR

Good Answers: 536

Re: Some Questions About My Infrared Remote Controller Design

03/23/2017 9:22 AM

Infrared radiation is very prevalent in the environment, generated by incandescent lighting and sunlight. For an infrared data link like a remote control to communicate using infrared, the receiver needs to be able to discriminate the transmitter's signal from all the environmental noise. To do this, the transmitter modulates its signal using a resonator and the receiver has an identical resonator to tune into the same frequency.

The difference between a quartz and ceramic resonator is that the quartz has a narrower bandwidth. With the quartz resonator, you have better noise rejection but the frequency alignment between the transmitter and receiver is more critical.

Probably in your application, either should suffice.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 143

03/23/2017 11:20 AM

How about you try that resonator, and let us know how well it works for you?

Good Answers: 8

03/23/2017 12:58 PM

get the specs and try to model in open modelica. Easy evaluation of your design can be explored there.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #4

03/23/2017 1:24 PM

I am surprised by that relevant answer. You stop that.

Good Answers: 8

03/24/2017 11:08 AM

As has been mentioned you will have to have a carrier frequency to differentiate your IR signal from all the ambient infrared flying about. This is typically 38 to 40 kHz for AV type equipment. There are pre-built receivers called Pre-Amps which receive the modulated signal and output a digital signal having striped off the modulation. Why these can be made from discrete components the Pre-amp puts it all together in one nice box which already has a lens to collect the signal.

Shawn

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

03/24/2017 11:45 AM

Cool. Sounds like a plan. I think we used to call that a "chopped" signal back in the old days of disc choppers.

Location: just died off here (now i may flicker back for a while)

04/07/2017 6:29 AM
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

ci139 (1); gutmonarch (1); James Stewart (3); Rixter (1); Shawn33 (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: How To Use Same Modscan Software for Data Logging and Graphics   Next in Forum: Entry Level Stepper Motor Control / What To Use?

Advertisement