CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Self-Driving Cars   Next in Forum: NIST Spooky Experiment March 2017. Quantum Mechanics
Close
Close
Close
2 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 73

Attention Race Fans/The Gold Chip Course

03/27/2017 12:14 AM

This is pretty incredible when you stop to think about it.

I'll have to read it again to see if I really read it.

look out NASCAR

Rules of the Grand Prix

1) General regulations

The molecule-car of a registered team has at its disposal a runway prepared on a small portion of the (111) face of the same crystalline gold surface. The surface is maintained at a very low temperature that is 5 Kelvin = - 268°C (LT) in ultra-high vacuum that is 10-8 Pa or 10-10 mbar 10-10 Torr (UHV) for at least the duration of the competition. The race itself last no more than 2 days and 2 nights including the construction time needed to build up atom by atom the same identical runway for each competitor. The construction and the imaging of a given runway are obtained by a low temperature scanning tunneling microscope (LT-UHV-STM) and certified by independent Track Commissioners before the starting of the race itself.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 703

Re: Attention Race Fans / The gold chip course

03/27/2017 3:31 AM

It sounds as though the message is four or five days early...

Good Answers: 73

Re: Attention Race Fans/The Gold Chip Course

03/27/2017 9:46 AM

Seems that way.. I'll be interested if they have any live coverage. I'd love to invite some friends over for this.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: Self-Driving Cars   Next in Forum: NIST Spooky Experiment March 2017. Quantum Mechanics

Advertisement