CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: 347V in Canada Used For 3 Phase Or One Phase?   Next in Forum: Earth Fault in DC Control System
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

MCB Calc.

03/28/2017 7:28 PM

Hi,

I am given a work where I have to find the type and size of upstream protection device. Downstream protection device would be:

1. 5 sets of 16 Amps SP MCB -

2. 6 sets of 32 Amps DP MCB -

Assuming that MCBs are 25% over-rated for sf, estimated max loading of no 1 and no 2 would be:

1. = 5*16*0.75 = 60 amps.

2. = 6*32*0.75 = 144 amps.

Is this process correct?

Regards,

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 741

Re: MCB calc.

03/28/2017 8:35 PM

No.

Good Answers: 1064

03/28/2017 9:18 PM

OCPD size = 100% of noncontinuous load + 125% of continuous load.

OCPD can be loaded to only 80% of its rating for continuous loads.

http://ecmweb.com/basics/sizing-circuit-breaker

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 741
In reply to #2

03/29/2017 4:23 AM

I think that's for individual OCPDs; for aggregate combination loads, as I recall, there is a factor of 1.15 involved. (My code version is old, so things may have changed.)

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 696

03/29/2017 4:10 AM

No, it isn't.

The procedure in British Standard 7671 is correct.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.

03/29/2017 4:37 AM

Hint: it's interesting that nothing has been said about the cables! What are they - 7/.029 (rhetorical question - NNTR)?

United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 174
In reply to #5

03/29/2017 11:54 AM

7/029? When was the last time you had anything to do with an electrical installation?

In reply to #6

03/29/2017 12:26 PM

The second question is best addressed to the original poster.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

PWSlack (3); SolarEagle (1); TonyS (1); Tornado (2)

Previous in Forum: 347V in Canada Used For 3 Phase Or One Phase?   Next in Forum: Earth Fault in DC Control System

Advertisement