CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Metal Storm Few Upgrades Trajectory Net Cool Gun vs Jet   Next in Forum: 50-Year-Old Rocket Stage Involved in Orbital Debris Event
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 208

Apollo 11 Close Up

03/28/2017 9:43 PM

pretty awesome stuff

https://youtu.be/DKtVpvzUF1Y

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 115

Re: Apollo 11 close up

03/28/2017 10:26 PM

Pretty cool!

It answered a question I'd never got round to asking: why is the first three or four metres of engine exhaust dark like that?

He answered it: it's the cooler turbopump exhaust vented around the nozzle periphery to help cool and protect it from the inferno within. Now I know!

The engineering that went into that program was just incredible. Thanks for sharing this!

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 320
In reply to #1

03/29/2017 8:47 AM

I did see the video,... but I saw the Saturn V engines at the Smithsonian Air and Space museum in Washington DC. I highly recommend seeing it.

It was basically 1/4 of the engines with mirrors to represent the others.

I believe they actually used the fuel (Liquid Oxygen) prior to getting pump to the engines as the coolant around the nozzles, to keep the nozzles from burning up.

Anonymous Poster #2
In reply to #3

03/30/2017 9:42 AM

"I believe they actually used the fuel (Liquid Oxygen)..." OOooops

LOX = oxidizer

Heat / Ignition = https://blogs.nasa.gov/J2X/tag/ignition/

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 696

03/29/2017 4:12 AM

It never made it to Pluto, though.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 320
In reply to #2

03/29/2017 8:47 AM

at least we made it to the moon.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

In reply to #4

03/29/2017 10:59 AM

The Brits never made it there because they were too busy eating their spotted dick

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 696
In reply to #5

03/29/2017 12:15 PM

Location and nationality are not necessarily the same.

In reply to #6

03/29/2017 12:47 PM

the food is the same

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #4

03/30/2017 9:36 AM

So you believe. Pinewood Studios provided much help with that!

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 67

Re: Apollo 11 Close Up

04/10/2017 9:22 AM

Amazing technology without the computer power we have today!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andrew Westman (1); Anonymous Poster (2); Fredski (2); phoenix911 (2); PWSlack (2); Tom_Consulting (1)

Previous in Forum: Metal Storm Few Upgrades Trajectory Net Cool Gun vs Jet   Next in Forum: 50-Year-Old Rocket Stage Involved in Orbital Debris Event

Advertisement