Previous in Forum: Eagle Software   Next in Forum: Computer Upgrade
Close
Close
Close
17 comments
Associate

I Meet Three Questions in the Making Projects for Electrical Fuses

03/29/2017 11:00 PM

I am an electronic engineer and am making a study related to electrical fuses. Before making, I meet three questions for electrical fuses.

Here is the detailed question:

I am building a test bed, only open on hand, there is no fuse. Some people say that there is no need to open the fuse; so we searched some materials from the Internet, but found that it is very different from what they say. Today, I come to this forum to turn to you to discuss three questions I meet in the making projects for electrical fuses.

Problem 1. That empty open with thermal hysteresis, high current through the moment, open will not immediately trip, and the fuse can be done immediately fuse. This time if there is no fuse in the circuit, it will make part of the circuit is burned open after the open will be disconnected.

I would like to ask, is that true?

Question 2. Under what circumstances and the fuse can be used interchangeably, which cases can not be replaced?

In addition,

Question 3: Is there a way to test how short the short circuit is in the end? Because the ordinary ammeter in the short-circuit state directly hung up the bar.

Through this forum, I need your help to solve the questions for me. I have puzzled about these questions, so I come to this forum.

Ps: Excuse me if I was wrong in words or expressions as I am a green hand in the making projects for electrical fuses. I need continual learnings.

What is your idea ? Do you agree with my ideas ? Any of your ideas would be highly appreciated.

May someone would like to help ?

thanks in advance.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 734

Re: I meet three questions in the making projects for electrical fuses.

03/29/2017 11:23 PM

You need to find a translator who is familiar with your language, English language, and technical fuse terms and concepts.

In reply to #1

03/29/2017 11:32 PM

My second language is English and I guess you are a French. Your first language is Francis and second language is english. I think that most people can fully understand.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 330
In reply to #2

03/29/2017 11:40 PM

and I guess you are a French

Oh you just made my day.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

In reply to #2

03/30/2017 2:42 AM

Your guess is wrong.

In reply to #6

03/30/2017 3:03 AM

So I am a little confused that why you say that word. Please explain it in other words. thanks a lot.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

03/30/2017 3:06 AM

You guessed that I was French; that is incorrect.

In reply to #8

03/30/2017 3:16 AM

I have got your meanings. But I don't know exactly why you said that first reply. What do you want to express in detail ? thanks in advance.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 677
In reply to #9

03/30/2017 7:36 AM

Clearly, not.

Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 330

03/29/2017 11:38 PM

Reading between the lines (the English translation is rather difficult to understand).

Question 1 - Yes. If the short circuit current exceeds the fuse's short circuit current rating the current arc created when the fuse element melts and opens can jump the gap and continue to supply current through the fuse, potentially damaging whatever the fuse was trying to protect.

Question 2 - It depends, fuses are only interchangeable if key requirements are met like current rating, fuse curve characteristics, short circuit current rating and voltage rating. Generally using a fuse which has higher fault current ratings or voltage than is required is acceptable, but not current rating. Different fuse curve characteristics may be acceptable depending on the application.

Hope this helps.

In reply to #3

03/30/2017 1:37 AM

Hi, thanks for your explanation. I think it is easy to understand. I will retry it again. thanks a lot.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.

Re: I Meet Three Questions in the Making Projects for Electrical Fuses.

03/30/2017 7:38 AM

The only purpose of a fuse is to protect the circuit and those near it from over-current faults. The End.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 738
In reply to #11

03/30/2017 1:36 PM

Fuses do not protect any circuit. When they do protect a circuit then that can be a bonus. A fuse protects other things from being damaged when a circuit faults by exceeding the current rating. Usually this only happens once the circuit is already damaged.

In reply to #13

03/31/2017 6:24 AM

...which is the same thing.

Good Answers: 472

03/30/2017 9:57 AM
Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #12

03/30/2017 9:43 PM

Thanks for your hot comments. I will think about it again. thanks a lot. Any further questions, I can feel free to contact you.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 85

Re: I Meet Three Questions in the Making Projects for Electrical Fuses

04/18/2017 2:20 AM

"I am an electronic engineer and am making a study related to electrical fuses."

Oh really? Odd, this week (4/17) you're a 'car mechanic.'

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #16

Re: I Meet Three Questions in the Making Projects for Electrical Fuses

04/18/2017 2:25 AM

Do you think it is contradictory ? I don't think so.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Register to Reply 17 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andrew Westman (1); jack of all trades (2); kynix (6); PWSlack (3); redfred (1); Rixter (1); Tornado (3)

Previous in Forum: Eagle Software   Next in Forum: Computer Upgrade

Advertisement