CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Life-Cycle Cost of Submersible Pump   Next in Forum: Final Year Mechanical Project GoPro Cam Stabilizer
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Participant

Help Needed on Compressed Air Vehicle

03/30/2017 2:12 PM

I am making a compressed air vehicle as my project. I am stuck with the calculation part. Please somebody tell me how to calculate the power, torque and other critical aspects of a compressed air engine. Also is there any effect of the hoses that i use to direct compressed air from compressor to the double acting cylinder, if yes then what. please do help me.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Compressed air vehicle
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 209

Re: Help Needed on Compressed air Vehicle

03/30/2017 2:19 PM

Try here.

Guru

Good Answers: 1125

03/30/2017 5:09 PM

This should help, and some good ref at bottom of pdf page...

http://www.ijritcc.org/download/ICAET15TR021502%20(1).pdf

Location: Baytown Tx. USA where you get your gasoline,chemicals,plastics and floods
Good Answers: 6

03/30/2017 5:31 PM

One of the faults of the compressed air driven cars (Tata) was the fact that as compressed air expands it causes a cooling effect which made the engine very cold and hard to lubricate as the oil would not flow thru the engine. I believe they even tried a small propane heater that would heat up the engine but eventually junked the project.

Guru

Good Answers: 8

03/30/2017 8:18 PM

You find a physics or thermodynamics book. You'll see work is just W=∫PdV, that's just the product of Pressure and the difference of volume. For air, generally you can use PV^n=constant, where n is process dependent(eg. isothermal, isentropic etc.)

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

Good Answers: 45

03/30/2017 11:44 PM

A bad idea with many problems and very inefficient. Also very dangerous driving a high pressure tank around that could rupture in an accident.

Good Answers: 21
In reply to #5

03/31/2017 7:25 AM

Nor any difference from driving around a car full of batteries that occasionally go on fire. The tank would need to pass a pressure vessel test before being certified for safe use and usually would require a rupture valve in case of an impact. Transformer have the same rupture valve installed.

There are a number of available motors on the market and a Spanish company has built several air power vehicles.

It also depends on what type of motor the lad is suggesting using, which he has not disclosed.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152
In reply to #6

03/31/2017 3:28 PM

He did state opposing piston.

I think he needs an air pre-heater, and a minimal ICE to power this thing. That way, he can get rid of that silly extension cord.

03/31/2017 7:58 AM
Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 196

Re: Help Needed on Compressed Air Vehicle

03/31/2017 11:56 AM

My best tip for you is "DON'T".

High pressure air is REALLY dangerous stuff. Its killed a whole lot of people over the years....plus there are a lot more still alive but missing body parts...

Dangers-of-compressed-air

The hoses and other parts needed are horrendously expensive IF they are properly sized for the pressures you need to make anything that goes for more than a mile or two.

Hopelessly inefficient....unless you get all the electricity/energy needed for free...

See here:-

Compressed_air_car

Where you can read the following:-

Energy density

Compressed air has relatively low energy density. Air at 30 MPa (4,500 psi) contains about 50 Wh of energy per liter (and normally weighs 372g per liter).

For comparison, a lead–acid battery contains 60-75 Wh/l. A lithium-ion battery contains about 250-620 Wh/l. The EPA estimates that a gallon of gasoline is equal to 33.7 kWh; however, a typical gasoline engine with 18% efficiency can only recover the equivalent of 1694 Wh/l. The energy density of a compressed air system can be more than doubled if the air is heated prior to expansion.

In order to increase energy density, some systems may use gases that can be liquefied or solidified. "CO2 offers far greater compressibility than air when it transitions from gaseous to super critical form."

I sincerely believe your work would be put to better use in another direction/idea.

Sorry to be so negative. Do have a great day and don't let me stop you, I am only making you "aware"....

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #8

04/01/2017 2:40 AM

Exaclty,

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 196
In reply to #12

04/01/2017 3:22 AM

Great informative video! Thanks for sharing! The pressures in Truck tyres are NOTHING in comparison to what the OP will need for his vehicle.....

I wonder just how many of those involved are now deaf forever? Or worse.....

The only thing that I know of (not that I am an expert!) that is even worse, is high pressure oxygen!! That is truly the "Dynamite" of all gases, as far as I am aware....

See here:-

Oxygen and oil or grease!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-xmaPSZ6GM

These are ONLY a burnable gas cylinders, propane for example, probably ONLY the driver got roasted, no oxygen explosions as far as I could see:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrfliY6ylOI

This is a "tiny" Oxygen accident, that may have killed the welder!:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjKRbgGDhHs

I worked with 4000 lbs per square inch air on Naval gun "Recuperators" (spelling questionable) in the RN many years ago....they were the "springs" that partially damped recoil and also returned the barrel back to the firing position.

With a lot of really good training/common sense, I personally was never involved in any accidents. Nor saw any on the ships I served on either.

03/31/2017 1:42 PM

http://engineair.com.au/

http://engineair.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=2&Itemid=11

Air tank can simply be some scuba tanks. Nothing wrong in using them besides added weight. But some folks, as in the above link, have done a neat job in making it operable.

Its all about having the right motor.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152

03/31/2017 3:26 PM

So how long is the extension cord on that compressor?

You need to de-rate based on resistance-length, rather resistivity-length product.

Try this: W = PV, where work is W, P is pressure, and V is volume.

That is the entire system capacity. Power is the time derivative of work. Now get to work.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (2); gutmonarch (2); IQ (3); James Stewart (2); JPool (1); rcapper (1); ronc (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Life-Cycle Cost of Submersible Pump   Next in Forum: Final Year Mechanical Project GoPro Cam Stabilizer

Advertisement