CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: ACS850 VFD Reference Meet Problem   Next in Forum: Difference Between Ith & Iu
Close
Close
Close
4 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

VFD Output

04/08/2017 11:16 PM

Why the output V has more noise than the output current in a VFD? i.e. VTHD > ITHD? Is this because it is a VSI not CSI. Does a CSI have an output with ITHD < VTHD?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 521

Re: VFD Output

04/09/2017 7:45 AM

Probably inductance in the circuit smooths the higher frequency current components.

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 136

04/10/2017 9:41 AM

When did the CSI's show up? Did they find any evidence?

CSI output is usually contained in a clear plastic bag with evidence tape on it.

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: California, USA, where the Godless live next door to God.
Good Answers: 722

04/10/2017 12:28 PM

VSI drives are now almost always PWM output, meaning the bus votlage is fixed and the motor voltage is inherently a pseudo-sine wave, so the output VTHD is very high. It's the MOTOR that draws current through that as IF it were a sine wave, so because of the inductive time constant in the motor windings, think of the motor as a low pass filter for the output current in terms of I-THD. But that has less of an effect on what you see in terms of V-THD.

Nobody that I am aware of is still using a CSI for low voltage drives, those went out of production 20+ years ago, so I'm not sure why you care. In general though a CSI drive changes the voltage on the INPUT side, so the output is only modulating the current. So yes, there is less V-THD on the output side then. Some MV drives still use a CSI topology, but the modern versions now use PWM on the output as well, so the same thing applies in terms of I-THD, it's the motor that is acting like the filter.

Good Answers: 136
In reply to #3

04/10/2017 1:44 PM

If the votlage is not lined up with the boltage, then sumbody gonna let de smoke out!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

James Stewart (2); JRaef (1); Rixter (1)

Previous in Forum: ACS850 VFD Reference Meet Problem   Next in Forum: Difference Between Ith & Iu

Advertisement