CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Login Page Not Secure?   Next in Forum: Editor Has Gone Again. In Firefox
Close
Close
Close
28 comments
Associate
Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 1

Why My Speed Is Very Very Slow

04/11/2017 10:16 AM

Dear Sirs: I am in China, I love the CR4 very much, but it always takes me several minutes to login in and to check a comment, Why my speed is so slow, the distance from the Website? Have anyone met the similar things? thanks a lot

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 683

Re: Why my speed is very very slow

04/11/2017 10:19 AM

Speed here is that due to the connection between this computer and the central server. As this connection is principally copper rather than fibre, it is likely to be slower than a fibre connection.

Good Answers: 739

Re: Why My Speed Is Very Very Slow

04/11/2017 10:31 AM

What method of connecting to the internet are you using?

Have you done a simple connection speed test to find out how fast or slow your real time connection between your computer and the internet is?

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #2

04/12/2017 9:00 AM

fiber connection, but fortunately it is fast now, i don't know the reason!

Thanks you all!

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 159
In reply to #17

04/13/2017 4:55 PM

Is this the same computer you are running FEA on?

Good Answers: 122

04/11/2017 10:43 AM

You probably are experiencing spyware that is slowing your system down. It may be also the security software your organization is using.

Try talking about this issue firstly to your own IT people. If it is your personal unit, then check with your internet provider about upload and download speeds in your area.

Sometimes, even on a broadband connection, the high demand for downloads (such as videos, movies, news, etc.) will slow down the "pipeline".

Good Answers: 101

04/11/2017 10:51 AM

Test the speed of your Internet connection here.

I have a spotty connection where I love. When loading CR4's pages the text loads pretty fast but advert images and animations often slow page-loading to a crawl. It also often gags when posting a comment. It is often slowest when doing that.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 173
In reply to #4

04/11/2017 1:48 PM

This is what we have here:

In reply to #8

04/11/2017 2:04 PM

Now yur just bragging. We have the inverse speed issue here. Wot U see is not wot U get. Even if you pay fer it.

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 173
In reply to #9

04/11/2017 3:55 PM

That is work internet, from a company that rhymes with bomb-blast. The coax they ran when we switched over was thicker than my thumb. We are paying for 50Mbs download and getting 57+.

I just did a home test and I have ATT, 2 old copper wires that have been here for 40 years. I got 12.2Mps down and 3.16 up. I pay about 1/6th the price for mine than at work, and home is so much faster because it's not being shared by 20 computers.

In reply to #8

04/11/2017 3:59 PM

My test comes back with "Sorry, we don't do Morse."

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

04/11/2017 4:22 PM

That sounds like "movie night" in my neighborhood. Can't search for groovy things to buy on the 'net, because everyone is glued to the latest garbage from Showtime and HBO. I think HBO stands for "totally useless television" in Swahili.

Good Answers: 739
In reply to #12

04/11/2017 9:47 PM

A few years ago before the new fiber optics systems went in out here in the country we had a whole township and a bit more of about 500+ homes running off a single gigabit feed connecting the local phone company network hub to the rest of the world.

On bad days you were guaranteed to be dropped every 5 minutes to make room for whoever was lucky enough to get your open spot and you didn't get back on until someone else got dropped and you hit the lottery to catch a reconnect to another 5 minute window opening which could take up to 5 - 10 minutes of retries at times.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

04/11/2017 9:49 PM

That's pretty much my situation here most days. This morning it worked great. This evening? I'm lucky to have a connection for 20 seconds.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #8

04/12/2017 8:57 AM

This is the speed,I visit other websites in US,for example ,the advertisement in CR4, it's the same!

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #8

04/12/2017 9:06 AM

Thanks a lot,

I test the speed and want to reply you, but it insert to other position. Why?

I try again

The speed is fast now, just several minutes before it is still slow, i don't know the reason.

thanks for god, it is ok now!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #18

04/12/2017 9:46 AM

I guess that whomever was looking over your shoulder got all they needed/wanted, and now have released control of the horizontal and vertical. You have returned from the Outer Limits.

Good Answers: 27
In reply to #19

04/13/2017 5:24 PM

Amazing what a little paranoia will do.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 743

04/11/2017 10:55 AM

This is certainly faster than my old A-O-Hell connection. My Q-Link speed was not bad but that was because most of the information already existed on the 5.25 floppy drive.

04/11/2017 11:08 AM

Try visiting other sites whose servers are known to be in the U.S. (not Google, Yahoo, Amazon, etc. as their servers are distributed worldwide and so you're likely to get a local connection).

GlobalSpec is located in East Greenbush, New York. Try another server in their same area and see if your delays are comparable, such as their town's chamber of commerce website. If similar delays, then it's probably the overall path that is delaying your connection.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 997

04/11/2017 1:09 PM

You should stay logged in....add shortcut in browser....

04/12/2017 8:08 AM

If it's almost every site:

If it's How many steps are you from the original connection? I had internet from a friend, from a friend, etc and if someone upstream (closer to the actual connection) was using it, mine would slow down considerably. It might be spyware, as everyone knows. Or the more common sales and tracking software. QQ, any Tenecent, Ciba, etc., might load fast simply because they set up to load fast.

If it's only CR4:

I would say some of the Chinese filters might be seeing something on the site that might be potentially blocked. (Many indirect words, I am returning there shortly and don't want any issues.) I've noticed a slowdown on certain sites before they were blocked.

Good Luck!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 39

04/12/2017 10:11 AM

Don't feel bad my friend, I get the digest email a day late. LoL

04/12/2017 10:33 AM

I typically have fast response time, but I notice if I type in a reply, the speed drops progressively. At about three paragraphs, the speed is about 1 letter per second and I find my keyboarding often overruns the rate that it shows up on the screen.

I suspect that somewhere down the processing line, the rate is throttled by a server based on the time connected. You probably have some software at the server level between you and CR4 that reviews what passes through for content concerns.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #21

04/12/2017 10:40 AM

I change nothing, but it is better now, it is so amazing!

Perhaps all of our words and cares help to work out!

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

In reply to #22

04/12/2017 10:44 AM

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #22

04/12/2017 10:52 AM

If it slows down again, let us know.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #24

04/12/2017 10:57 AM

absolutely and definitely

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 65
In reply to #25

04/12/2017 8:58 PM

Not sure of your cabling, you might try going online around midnight (local time) when everyone else is asleep and see if your speed increases, otherwise it maybe someone looking over your shoulder as previously mentioned.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andrew Westman (5); dj95401 (1); James Stewart (4); Jpfalt (3); JPool (2); Mikerho (1); PWSlack (1); rashavarek (1); redfred (1); SolarEagle (1); tcmtech (2); Torqued (1); weijunmei (5)

Previous in Forum: Login Page Not Secure?   Next in Forum: Editor Has Gone Again. In Firefox

Advertisement