CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Oroville Dam Update   Next in Forum: Equation For Comparing Flow Rates of Canal as a Function of Inflow Flow Rate?
Close
Close
Close
12 comments

How to Calculate Actual Compression Stresses Acting on the Buried Pipe

04/11/2017 11:11 PM

Hello everyone ! may i know how can i calculate actual compression stresses in longitudinal (axial) direction. The pipe is buried below the ground about 25 feet and i would like to calculate the actual stress acting on that pipe by the surrounding.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 89

Re: How to calculate actual compression stresses acting on the buried pipe

04/12/2017 12:45 AM

If you do not mean radial stress:

Axial stress might be the difference from conditions when buried compared with running conditions: mainly temperature. So you would be looking for stretch or compression due to temperature changes.

In reply to #1

04/12/2017 1:10 AM

Thank you for your reply! May i know is there any formula for that radial stress ?

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 682
In reply to #2

04/12/2017 6:07 AM

Yes. Carry out a force balance on a longitudinal section through the pipe. It's only arithmetic.

One way to consider the compressive stress on the pipe is to use a hypothetical fluid of the same density as the surrounding subsoil and cause it to act uniformly on the pipe outer surface.

Of course the outer stress is compensated by the stress caused by the pressure of the contents.

In reply to #3

04/12/2017 8:35 PM

Thank you for your reply !

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 7

04/12/2017 6:25 AM

This is a civil engineering problem.

Is it not the weight or load of the soil with in the cross section along the horizon?

Register to Reply

In reply to #4

04/12/2017 8:40 PM

yap! this is civil engineering problem but i found out somewhere it can consider with axial stress also in order to calculate the critical buckling stress of a buried pipe.

Register to Reply
Guru
Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 199

04/12/2017 7:44 AM

Axial stress is along the pipe length.

You first need to know the pipe consruction/asembly method. Flanges create a rigid sructure, while rubber ring joints (RRJ) enable some movement at the end of each pipe length. Then you need to know whether the pipe is constrained by being captured in cast concrete or similar.

If RRJ is inserted too far, then there are problems, even with Ductile Iron.

Then you need to understand whether it's running up/down grade. Unrestrained pipe can "slide" downhill over time if in loose fill.

Then you need to consider what the contents are doing. Friction from steady state flow will create "drag" in one direction.

Then you have problems when change in flow rates happen. I've seen 18" pipes move the covering ground during flow shut-off situations and abrade through the pipe material.

You do have a real challenge though, "calculate" implies some prediction based on assumptions and observaitons while "actual" implies measurement of the situation.

Good Answers: 122
In reply to #5

04/12/2017 10:24 AM

I concur. There is no model that could possibly be accurate enough to simulate your actual situation, although you might get order of magnitude estimates, by considering the type of fill material, grade, flow conditions, anchoring of the pipe, etc.

Why are you suddenly asking this question? Were put in charge of a pipeline after it was built, after a failure? Are you a regulating body representative performing an audit on a pipeline company?

We would enjoy having more information on the precise situation involved, as some of us here could probably give you a better answer as a starting point.

In reply to #5

04/12/2017 8:48 PM

Thank you for your reply ! I understand that actual ground implementation is very different and challenge but i am just started study of designing the underground pipe laying.

Register to Reply

In reply to #5

04/12/2017 8:56 PM

I realized that it is not a easy going calculation but i need to figure out the critical buckling pressure of a buried thermoplastic pipe (eg: PE100 pipe). This is my new topic and i am from mechatronic background. So all the usages are very strange.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 682
In reply to #10

04/13/2017 7:17 AM

One way is to carry out a practical test:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rail+tank+car+implosion

Another way is to ring the pipe manufacturer, and ask.

Good Answers: 122
In reply to #10

04/13/2017 11:41 AM

Why would buckling pressure be more of a focus than crush pressure? You cannot guarantee in any such situation the pipe will always be under pressure.

Buckling pressure will have so many variables, makes me think you need to find out if lines such as the one you are focusing on are buried with a slight tension on them.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

gutmonarch (1); IdeaSmith (1); James Stewart (2); Just an Engineer (1); PWSlack (2); Ye Marn (5)

Previous in Forum: Oroville Dam Update   Next in Forum: Equation For Comparing Flow Rates of Canal as a Function of Inflow Flow Rate?

Advertisement