CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Gimbal Lock   Next in Forum: Aircraft Assembly Line Thought
Close
Close
Close
4 comments
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 147

Stageless Rocket Coming Out of New Mexico to an Orbit Near You

04/12/2017 2:57 PM

new atlas using hydrogen peroxide/kerosene

aerospike engine bell design.

one stage.

Stays in orbit for further use (or trash collection??)

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 558

Re: Stageless Rocket Coming Out of New Mexico to an Orbit Near You

04/12/2017 6:14 PM

Thanks, interesting post. It's just barely possible to get to orbit with one stage (SSTO), the holy grail of space travel. It's interesting they use hydrogen peroxide. Half the weight of H2O2 is water, but it's a lot more convenient than LOX.

I've wondered whether there might be a way to scoop up oxygen from the upper atmosphere as the oxidizer. Most of the acceleration to orbit is horizontal, and that would eliminate the weight of the oxidizer, or a big part of it.

Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #1

04/13/2017 9:54 AM

I think that is where some contenders are going with such engines as ramjets. It takes hypersonic flight to get enough oxygen and the right dynamics, and I have considered that taking off a heavy lifter with conventional jet engines to high altitude makes more sense, then jettison off the space craft and launch it from free glide path. Reduces the hell out of oxidizer-fuel requirement.

The Germans has this rocket powered fighter in WWII, the Komet, Me-163.

Never mind how many of them died during landing attempts that detonated. The oxidizer/fuel tanks had to be completely expended. A better solution would have been a jettison arrangement for safety. Oh well, I was not there.

They used hypergolic fuel, high concentration hydrogen peroxide/nitric acid oxidizer (T-stoff), (would burn your whole arm off, for example), and hydrazine/methanol C-Stoff fuel, as I recall. Only a Nazi would be crazy enough to attempt engines like this because they are as fickle as the waves in the North Sea.

American rocket propulsion has apparently advanced far beyond this primitive (although effective) and dangerous combination of bad chemical ingredients.

We now use "green" chemistry propellants, no more permanganate based catalysts, etc.

I tried "starting" an wax paraffin auto-oxidation catalyst made from potassium permanganate mixed with 50% hydrogen peroxide once in a 55 gallon drum with a previously oxidized wax material in the drum to be the peroxides buffer. I got a wild, exiting and strange green fire out of that!!! Nothing I wanted to add to a live reactor with a whole truckload of material to, until it settled down (a whole lot). I hate reactor explosions.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 699

04/13/2017 5:51 AM

Ye gods. More space junk in orbit. It's like a game of dodgems getting anything up there already.

In reply to #2

04/13/2017 10:09 AM

Don't you see this is a bigger of piece of junk. It is the small pieces that are harder to track. LOL

Maybe like I said, the spent booster (if not re-fueled in orbit for other missions), could be additionally equipped with a pooper scooper to pick up (imagine a "gel" or sponge that absorbs impact energy??) space junk and debris, and the net result is cleaner orbital space.

I like my thinking on this, now if I just had some investors, and a contact at a pet product distributor, LOL. Laika, the Space Doggie would have a way to go poop in space, maybe not die next time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz7Xbo1m5XA

Only cosmonaut sent into space to die knowingly. God rest her doggie soul (I still want doggies in heaven).

What if doggie diplomacy could bring Mother Russia, and America back together to work peacefully on all fronts? I call upon Trump, Tillerson, Putin, and Lavrov to set all our present misunderstandings aside, and re-ignite our passion to explore space together. Two giant world powers as Russia and America should not, must not, and cannot allow differences to put more important work in the distant haze. Come together, right now, and make peace. I do not make this call as an emotional one, but one that any reasoning adult human could understand. Do not waste even one more precious Russian or American life over this stupid civil war in Syria. Let Assad stew in his own juices, the evil soup he has made.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

James Stewart (2); PWSlack (1); Rixter (1)

Previous in Forum: Gimbal Lock   Next in Forum: Aircraft Assembly Line Thought

Advertisement