CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Is the Volume at the Bottom Dead Center the Same as Displacement Volume?   Next in Forum: Thrust Bearing - Steam Turbine
Close
Close
Close
49 comments
Active Contributor

CR Paint Vs Epoxy Paint

04/16/2017 12:01 PM

Dear All
Mine is chemical and fertilizer plant. We use Epoxy paint when there is dusty environment and CR paint where there is dust free environment. Why? IS EPoxy better for corrosion resistance than CR paint.? Please guide me
Regards

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 202

Re: CR PAINT VS EPOXY PAINT

04/16/2017 12:24 PM

I'll bite, what are you referring too when you say "CR paint"?

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #1

04/16/2017 1:07 PM

Chlorinated rubber? I think that's what the CR 4.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

In reply to #2

04/16/2017 1:51 PM

I have never heard of it and even tried to look up CR paint. I am going to assume it is less durable and cheaper then epoxy based paints, hence the reason they use it in the clean environment. Epoxy has great abrasion and chemical resistance and is more suited to be in a harsh environment. Most of our dry film lubricants are single component, thermally cured, epoxy based and we coat helicopter gears with it, they have to be recoated every engine overhaul but that says a lot for that epoxy binder. Once cured, no solvent will touch it, even our 50% hydrochloric acid does nothing to it. If we need to remove it, we have to blast it, if blasting is not an option, we send it out to be stripped in a molten salt bath.

I installed a burn off oven to clean the tooling we use, 800 degrees f for 12 hours barely removes it. Most of the time we have to cycle the tooling twice before the coating is removed.

In reply to #3

04/16/2017 1:59 PM

Chlorinated-rubber paint is highly corrosion and weather resistant. You see it used with swimming pools, ships, etc.

http://www.coatings.covestro.com/en/Technologies/Chlorinated-Rubber

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

04/16/2017 2:05 PM

We generically call it plastisol, I am familiar with it, never heard it referred to as CR paint. Why would you use it in a clean, dust free, environment? Obviously more info is needed from the O.P.

Maybe there is no dust because there is more chemicals?

In reply to #5

04/16/2017 2:08 PM

My question also. As a paint-selection criterion, dust vs dust-free env. is an odd one.

OP? What say ye?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

04/16/2017 2:37 PM

That is the one point of this question I think I understand, If you have a harsh environment then you need a durable coating (more $$$). If you have a less harsh environment and can get away with a less durable coating (less $$$), then you use it.

Most people complain when they go to Home Depot and spend $30 on a gallon of paint, most of our coatings are manufactured by Curtiss-Wright (our own company) and cost us $100 to $150 a gallon. The new job that you may of heard me talk about that I just built and designed the process for, cost $10K for 55gal of a coating that is sacrificial. We coat axel stub forgings, the coating is for lubricating a cold extruding process, once done, is useless.

In reply to #7

04/16/2017 2:41 PM

That lube coating you spoke off is amazing. No wonder it's so expensive. An epoxy-based lube? I've never heard of such a thing.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

04/16/2017 2:51 PM

It's a water based polyethylene dispersion. I am new to it and still learning it. The process is a dip drain process, similar to the Surefire 60 and 100 round 5.56 magazines we do, except that is a conventional solvent based dry film lubricant.

In reply to #9

04/16/2017 3:00 PM

"The process is a dip drain process, similar to the Surefire 60 and 100 round 5.56 magazines we do..."

I've no idea what that means.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #10

04/16/2017 3:24 PM

We coat Surefire's 60 and 100 round AR15 rifle magazines.

The magazines are loaded on a rack then dipped into a tank of the coating, slowly removed then thermally cured. This process coats the inside as well as the outside. These are all civilian, as the military thought they were too heavy.

In reply to #11

04/16/2017 3:51 PM

Ah!

Power-User

Good Answers: 7
In reply to #7

04/21/2017 6:41 PM

Cheap compared to the $640 per quart paint that my motorcycle and trailer are painted with!

In reply to #39

04/21/2017 7:05 PM

Yes there are some ridiculously priced coatings out there. But the dip coating that costs 10K for a 55 gallon drum goes into a 380 gallon tank, at an 80% coating / 20% water mixture, you do the math. We have to add about 55gallons a week to it.

It costs about 55k to charge, and 10k a week to maintain.

But it is worth it, we get about $2.25 per part and can do 6000 a day.

In reply to #40

04/21/2017 7:22 PM

At $640 per quart a 55 gallon drum would set you back $140,800 although I'm sure you would get a better price at that volume. Fortunately it only takes a quart of this to paint

In reply to #41

04/21/2017 7:38 PM

No argument from me, that looks sweet. Out coatings are not for looks, the one I just spoke of is sacrificial, gone after extrusion. The only coatings we use that are any way decorative are the CARC coatings, but they still have an engineered reason...

In reply to #42

04/21/2017 7:56 PM

Thanks. The day after I rode it home we ordered a trailer for it. Ordinarily color matching is included in the price of the trailer but this color cost us $600 more.

In reply to #3

04/23/2017 3:04 AM

Sir

What is dry film lubricant in Epoxy paint? And you mean to say chlorinated Rubber paint(CR) is less durable and and has lesser corrosion and abrasion resistance than EPoxy paint?

Regards

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #46

04/23/2017 4:06 AM
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 170
In reply to #47

04/23/2017 6:25 AM

Geez. You're up early!

In reply to #48

04/23/2017 6:59 AM

Had to work today, opened the shop at 3:50am.

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

In reply to #1

04/18/2017 4:43 PM

Probably Chemical Resistant. That's still a guess though. If OP ever comes back....

In reply to #31

04/18/2017 4:59 PM

If he comes back.... not holding my breath. Most epoxy coatings are chemical resistant. As I said, most of ours are epoxy based thermally cured coatings. Once cured, MEK, acetone, toluene, pretty much any solvent won't touch it. (have not found one that will.) Also goes for 50% hydrochloric acid, 50% sodium hydroxide, and 90% sulfuric acid. The only way we can remove our coatings is with aggressive 54 grit blasting, thermal destruction at 800 degrees F. for 12 hours, or molten salt bath for 8 hours.

I can dissolve the steel before the coating comes off.

Not sure how much more chemical resistance you can get......

We have coating processes that exceed 2000 hours salt spray tests.

In reply to #32

04/18/2017 5:37 PM

"I can dissolve the steel before the coating comes off."

That's an interesting point: paint some complex 'sacrificial' part with that paint, then etch away the part leaving only the paint to show customers how tough it is. Would the paint deform without its substrate, or would it remain rigid?

I've done similar with the copper-plated zinc pennies; file away the copper plating at the edge and then soak the penny in hydrochloric acid until all the zinc's gone.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #33

04/18/2017 5:43 PM

No, as the substrate is destroyed, the coating comes off, I can't coat something, dissolve the part and have a coated replica of it.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 143
In reply to #32

04/19/2017 9:03 AM

That thermal cure stuff is the berries! Back in the State Police crime lab, we used to test paint exemplars, and evidence chips with various solvents, none of which one wanted to breathe in. One of the solvents I think was some sort of fluorinated acid, and sometimes it would break up paints and disperse old dried chips that nothing else would touch. This was merely a screening technique.

The ability to use pyrolysis-GC (or other hyphenated technique) on paint chips has advanced over the years such that paint "fingerprint" comparisons are quite valuable to investigators, especially when speaking of automotive paints, or paint picked up during contact transfer some other way at a crime scene.

In reply to #31

04/18/2017 5:38 PM

Maybe we got 2deep4pra?

Guru

In reply to #34

04/18/2017 7:55 PM

Or maybe 2deep4u (you changed it first!) - something abstrusey (for PW).

In reply to #36

04/18/2017 8:40 PM

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 697

04/17/2017 5:08 AM

Somewhere in the documentation for that plant will be a standard for application of paint. The correct person to ask is the one who wrote the standard. Alas, the standard cannot be seen from here.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 697

04/17/2017 6:27 AM

Just how is a bunch of anonymous strangers across the globe supposed to know what the local practices are in this particular plant, without the original poster stating them (rhetorical question - NNTR)?

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #14

04/17/2017 11:00 AM

Most of us are feeling the elephant, searching for clues on here, I in particular seem to have my arm up in a dark stinky place, and my arm is green upon removal, therefore the elephant must be green and stinky, from my point of view.

The thing I don't get, how does a blind engineer see the color green? Or does it just smell green?

In reply to #15

04/17/2017 11:05 AM

Just don't lose your car keys

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

04/17/2017 11:10 AM

That is so wrong!

There is the reason I didn't go to vet school.

In reply to #17

04/17/2017 11:29 AM

They're not vets. Seems it was just a simple misunderstanding.

Boss to landscapers: "What I SAID was, 'Go see what that arsehole is up to!'"

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #21

04/17/2017 1:17 PM

Must have been Dave. Manual would go find another job. Otto hasn't been around since the late 1800's.

In reply to #16

04/17/2017 11:11 AM

There is a palpable air of discontent brewing, or was that pachyderm alimentary discomfort syndrome? This could give birth to whole new branch of respiratory therapy.

Statistics: Of 17 patients given the placebo, all suffocated in a pachyderm's interior places (choose your words carefully). The one control subject took one sniff on entering the test area, and fled.

In reply to #18

04/17/2017 11:18 AM

I would insist that air hose be connected to a reliable source of nitrous oxide.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #19

04/17/2017 11:22 AM

To the test chamber, or to the subjects in the placebo group?

In reply to #20

04/17/2017 11:41 AM

What is the airspeed of a flatulence-ejected, anal-probing landscaper?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #22

04/17/2017 1:22 PM

E = 1/2 m V2, thus it rightly depends on the energy of the flattus, and the mass of the landscaper.

If m = 72.5 kg, and E = 1 MJ, then V = 166.1 m/sec (totally out of the question).

0.1 MJ, with the same mass gives us V = 52.5 m/s, certainly within the realm of pachyderm performance propulsion. It requires the elephant in question be fed a special secret diet, only gutmonarch knows, as he is the world record speed holder.

In reply to #16

04/17/2017 11:59 AM

You should have saved this for "Caption This". It would have been a good one.

In reply to #23

04/17/2017 12:01 PM

I know, right?

Btw, did you even see the last 'Caption this' on the main page? I didn't; I saw it only when I clicked on 'See all blog entries' (which I don't do very often). I suspect it was pushed off by all those Engineering360 articles that nobody comments on.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #24

04/17/2017 12:03 PM

No, I didn't see it on the main page.

In reply to #25

04/17/2017 12:05 PM

Look here.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #26

04/17/2017 12:08 PM

I had to edit, because obviously I saw it, I posted on it Friday, but no, it was not on the main page. Probably why I forgot about it.

In reply to #27

04/17/2017 12:16 PM

They've already got a panel featuring Engineering360 News.

Why do they feel the need to clutter-up the Blog column with what are basically adverts for this product or that? 'Caption this' is one of the most popular blogs on this forum. Who cares about Ikea's Smart Home Lighting Products or some Reinforced Isolator? They can list those in the panel.

Active Contributor

Re: CR Paint Vs Epoxy Paint

04/21/2017 10:36 PM

Suddenly all now where connection to question of mine

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #44

Re: CR Paint Vs Epoxy Paint

04/22/2017 2:20 AM

That's what happens when you ask a question then don't show up for ages to answer requests for clarification, more info, etc. For all anyone else knew you'd left the bluddy planet. Don't get all pissy, mate, when you weren't here to mind the store. Next time maybe stick around a bit to field legitimate questions which were asked. That's just common courtesy.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 49 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andrew Westman (17); James Stewart (6); JPool (16); Mikerho (3); pradeep4u (2); PWSlack (2); wmerryall (3)

Previous in Forum: Is the Volume at the Bottom Dead Center the Same as Displacement Volume?   Next in Forum: Thrust Bearing - Steam Turbine

Advertisement