CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: University of Amsterdam Find New CO2 Conversion   Next in Forum: White Color Scale Removal in Domestic Water PVC Pipes
Close
Close
Close
Page 1 of 2: « First 1 2 Next > Last »
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 99

Am I Drinking Enough Water?

04/17/2017 11:41 AM

My wife told me ; "I don't drink enough water". That prompts me to ask the question; when I brew a cup of coffee, am I creating a new compound or is it just coffee flavored water? The same goes for beer and other soft drinks; are they water disguised as beer or a soft drink or coffee? I maintain that I do drink enough water even when disguised as something else.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 115

Re: Am I drinking enough water?

04/17/2017 11:53 AM

Coffee and other caffeinated drinks are considered a mild diuretics (causing you to pee more). This increase, however, is only a temporary reaction to caffeine after long abstinence. Once the body accustoms itself to regular coffee intake of standard caffeine content, the water loss from the body is insignificant and the drink can be counted toward your daily water intake. Water itself is considered a mild diuretic as well; you drink more, you pee more.

Maughan RJ, Griffin J. Caffeine ingestion and fluid balance: a review. J Hum Nutr Diet. 2003 Dec;16(6):411-20. Available here.

Grandjean AC, Reimers KJ, Bannick KE, Haven MC. The effect of caffeinated, non-caffeinated, caloric and non-caloric beverages on hydration. J Am Coll Nutr. 2000 Oct;19(5):591-600. Available here.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 4)
Guru

Good Answers: 521
In reply to #1

04/18/2017 5:58 PM

I'm wondering if drinking a beer or a cup of coffee results in more water loss than was in the beer or coffee. In other words, in the end, would you have less hydration than if you had drunk nothing. Would they, in fact, be an over-unity diuretic or a fluidic amplifier?

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #78

04/19/2017 7:37 AM

I think you are OK with the coffee. From the Mayo Clinic website:

Answers from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

It is true that caffeinated fluids can contribute to your daily fluid requirement.

Drinking caffeine–containing beverages as part of a normal lifestyle doesn't cause fluid loss in excess of the volume ingested. While caffeinated drinks may have a mild diuretic effect — meaning that they may cause the need to urinate — they don't appear to increase the risk of dehydration.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/caffeinated-drinks/faq-20057965

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 319
In reply to #87

04/19/2017 8:05 AM

The issue with coffee is being missed here,... caffeine is the least of the problems in coffee,... it's the other components in coffee one should be concerned about

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 167
In reply to #88

04/19/2017 1:49 PM

Like what?

Good Answers: 136
In reply to #98

04/19/2017 1:58 PM

Your photo looks like this:

....yet you ask about the negative effects of coffee? Really? For reals? ROFLMAO good one.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #98

04/19/2017 2:07 PM

follow the link... like a rabbit,... I hate to chew my lettuce twice.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 758
In reply to #101

04/19/2017 2:20 PM

That's a cecotrope not poo.

In reply to #102

04/19/2017 2:25 PM

maybe I should have said Unlike a rabbit, I don't chew my lettuce twice...

My dachshund seems to belong to one of those family... he's a very environmental friendly dog,... recycles all the time.

In reply to #103

04/19/2017 2:58 PM

That is as nasty as filtering my coffee through a Civet cat. I would rather drink Postum, with Chicory.

Good Answers: 231
In reply to #103

04/19/2017 3:03 PM

You might try feeding him pineapple. Supposedly they will eat pineapple, but the pineapple will change their poop flavor to something they find repulsive.

In reply to #106

04/19/2017 3:17 PM

WHAT,... Then I have to clean it up?... I'll tell Sheila about that... but just as long as its not toxic... well not to him anyways...

Its not that bad now... occasionally. When we first got him, he was a rescue dog from Texas and had 7 -8 owners prior to us that had him with large dogs and was pretty beat up, no hair, scars on his back, no hair on his back,... bad teeth, ears look like a tattered old wash rag.

He resembled a Dr. Suess character.

And after massive vet bills, teeth pulled.. a number of visits to the doggie chiropractor as a Dachshund,... he's a temperamental little dog... but he's a happy dog.

And he patrols our back yard constantly... barks at the kids on bicycles ,... or just barks for no reason at all. And since we got him,... we never had an pirates raiders in our yard..

In reply to #107

04/19/2017 3:33 PM

Wait, are you claiming he consumes all his poop? Are you adding more food into the cycle?

What is he, the Kim Jong-un of dachshunds? How many yards long is this dachshund now?

In reply to #107

04/19/2017 3:50 PM

And you call him "Lucky".

In reply to #113

04/19/2017 5:01 PM

yep...if he wasn't then, he's lucky now....btw, I stopped cuz I ran out of time... he has cataracts too...

In reply to #106

04/19/2017 3:19 PM

That is a novel idea. And there are also extra benefits of plant materials that start off very juicy.

In reply to #102

04/19/2017 3:26 PM

However much it might disturb one's sensibilities, just because they eat it doesn't make it any less feces....or, as you say, poo.

'Cecotropia' is synonymous with 'night feces' which itself is referred to by assorted euphemisms, like; 'bed browning', 'pillow poo','sleep stank', 'sheet-shat', 'duvet defecation' and 'junked in the 'jammies'.

Moreover 'cecophagy' is synonymous with 'coprophagy' also known by the euphemisms; 'brown teeth', 'does he ever brush?', 'you are in my personal space!', and 'no, you can keep that coffee cup, I never need it back. I've always hated that cup'.

In reply to #109

04/19/2017 3:32 PM

You don't say....

In reply to #110

04/19/2017 3:40 PM

What? Bovine coprophagy is likely to be, nay, nearly possibly somewhat short of certain to be a real thing. It would be cruel to let those coprophagic boves starve, wouldn't it?

Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 188

04/17/2017 11:54 AM

As much as I would like to agree with you, the answer is no. Caffeine and especially alcohol are diuretics and cause your body to loose more water then you are taking in. Substituting 8 glasses of water with 8 glasses of beer, may be enjoyable but leaves you dehydrated.

It's a shame it doesn't work that way.

In reply to #2

04/18/2017 8:27 AM

I have heard this as well, though did you check a reference ? Especially for contradicting the first post about the caffeine. Has anybody any numbers ? ( how much in vs how much out, plotted against caffeine concentration or alcohol concentration)

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 57
In reply to #2

04/18/2017 8:31 AM

Hydration is essential to cyclists, and the cycling groups, especially the off road variety (mountain bikers) favorite post ride drink is beer. The diuretic effect of beer is minimal.

In reply to #45

04/18/2017 8:41 AM

You can thank the monks for giving us beer.

I do have a question, with beer, and this came from an early experience in my life.

Id you are working hard and in hot weather, a lot of sweating and heavy lifting/exercising and you consume a lot of beer. Not all at once, but in intervals. such as a bottle of beer every 15-20 minutes for the good part of the day. Does the alcohol affect you?, as in impairs you, or does it pass through your system... I know the liver filters.

In reply to #48

04/18/2017 8:52 AM

I assume there is also a reason that cyclists, who love beer, won't carry any with them on rides. Beer is pushed in the bike mags as a great after ride hydration drink, but never suggested as one for during rides. Even the pro roadies in France shun wine during their races, and they go through an average 14 @ 16.7 ounce bottles of water per stage in a tour. If there is a group that would "burn off" the alcohol fast, it is them. I assume this implies a "yes" to your question.

In reply to #49

04/18/2017 9:13 AM

The reason for this as I stated earlier was from personal experience.

Our family wasn't big beer drinkers, but we always had a case of beer around. (Kingsbury)

I was 15-16 years old.. we were baling hay, temps in the mid 90's, My brothers put me on loading the bales on the elevator. Because I could push it. Started about 10:00 AM, Between loads, I would go into the house and I cracked up a beer, downed it, and lined the next load up to unload.

At the time,... I was surprised how easy it went down. Well, what started as a full case, later that afternoon 4:30-5:00 pm, we were finishing up the last load. Called it a day for hay and prepared to start milking.

Well, through-out the day, I thought that having a beer between the loads was pretty refreshing.. and was surprised that I didn't feel inebriated... But I have to say,... I looked forward to finish a load to get another one.

When Dad came in, he went a got a beer and asked what happened, there was only (3) bottle left from a full case that morning. He knew where it went.

I didn't feel drunk, I went out did my chores.... slept great, woke up at 5:30AM the next morning no hang-over or anything. I have to say,... that was the most beer I ever drank.

In reply to #51

04/18/2017 9:35 AM

Baling hay is fairly manual and non-technical. I would say that had you been trying to cut down trees, or put rings in hogs noses, you may have discovered you were a bit slow on the reflexes. The reason I mentioned the pro cyclist is the reaction time problem. If there is a group of athletes that will try anything to ease their pain while performing, it is they. They also have to handle some very tricky courses, so, I deduce their is a penalty to pay for drinking while working if reaction time is needed.

In reply to #55

04/18/2017 9:38 AM

Bad reaction time on any form of transportation less than four wheels is a really strong invitation to raw elbows, skinned knees, lacerations, contusions, and broken bones.

In reply to #57

04/18/2017 9:41 AM

Always the biggest concern, was from the drive chain on the elevator.

In reply to #55

04/18/2017 9:39 AM

Even at that time,... even though I felt great... I still question, how I would know if I was impaired... with the exception... I could keep up with the physical labor of my older brothers.

In reply to #58

04/18/2017 10:30 AM

You've just settled the issue of diuretic effects of beer, with this statement. From personal experience I know what happens if you start to dehydrate while doing physically strenuous activities. The term "bonk" is often applied, and incorrectly assumed to always be the shortage of available energy from lack of eating. In fact, that is quite often what happens when you don't drink enough as well. I assume a lot of sweating while baling the hay. Had you been dehydrating from the beer drinking, you would have hit a "wall" and felt that it was nearly impossible to continue. I always manage to find one day in summer where I hit the wall while cycling because I didn't bring enough water bottles. No way one would be able to throw hay bales when that hits.

In reply to #63

04/18/2017 10:38 AM

I might as well share this....

A number of things happened as the day progressed,...

1. I did slow down, (tiring) but so were my brothers... and that was the metric I used
  2. Near the end of baling, I went from (1) bottle of beer between loads, to (2) bottles, it was refreshing....
  3. I started to really push to finish the load, so I could get to my beer.... This had to do more with thirst, to a point of craving it... water would not do.

It was interesting at the time, I was quite surprised as to the craving I had... but it did not last.

Good Answers: 32
In reply to #51

04/18/2017 10:16 AM

There's an Indian tribe in Mexico that all they do is run. They have records of up to 400 miles by running. Our bodies were made to run, the easy life has conditioned us from that. This tribe tanks up on a mild beer made from cactus before setting out on their runs.

In reply to #61

04/18/2017 11:15 AM

If I drank lightly fermented cactus juice before setting out, I would have the runs too!

Good Answers: 120
In reply to #61

04/18/2017 1:39 PM

That "mild beer made from cactus" is called Pulke in Mexico. I have drunk it on occasion, and indeed, it does motivate one to run....to the nearest bathroom!

In reply to #72

04/18/2017 1:44 PM

If batman were to drink Pulke, he would have to run to the nearest batroom senor!

In reply to #48

04/18/2017 9:01 AM

It taxes your metabolism, slow down the energy factories, and forces the liver to work on processing the alcohol. You build up acetaldehyde (toxic) and begin throwing off water as an attempt to detoxify. Copious water intake, along with cessation of beer intake is mandatory in the hot climes during work periods. Real men drink beer while repairing windmills, bulldogging steers, branding calves, etc. Most of the real men have gone, sadly, due to accidents of falling off the windmill towers drunk, or passing out dehydrated. Just us cautious suckers left. We save the beer until the work is done. Then we drink and eat copious amounts of smoked beef. Certified smokified.

In reply to #50

04/18/2017 9:16 AM

If you read my post,... I must have been young and didn't know any better.

Real men drink beer while repairing windmills, bulldogging steers, branding calves, etc.

And I probably peaked early....

In reply to #52

04/18/2017 9:21 AM

At least you must still be a real man, since you didn't fall off the tower drunk.

In reply to #53

04/18/2017 9:30 AM

that I know of anyways.... I just wonder about where I got the bruises...

In reply to #54

04/18/2017 9:37 AM

That was from when you woke up in the bunk house that night, and failed to make to the bathroom. Doh!!! Never pee on a sleeping Cowboy.

In reply to #56

04/18/2017 9:40 AM

is that from experience? and if so,... from which side... the delivery side or receiving side

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 696

Re: Am I Drinking Enough Water?

04/17/2017 12:02 PM

When someone says, "drink more water", remember what fish do in it...

In reply to #3

04/17/2017 12:19 PM

Grandma called it 'roughage.'

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 64
In reply to #3

04/17/2017 2:50 PM

eat your fish poop. It will make you live longer.

something like that..

04/17/2017 12:12 PM

Common beverages are comprised mostly of water. Things like soft drinks, tea, and coffee are combinations of suspensions and solutions in water.

One exception is some liquor consumed neat. If over 100 proof, then it is comprised mostly of ethanol.

You may be taking in a lot of water, but if you give your body even more work flushing out impurities with the method you intake water, you might not be making headway on that front.

In reply to #4

04/17/2017 12:35 PM

one thing, I don't know if its true, but at one time they suggested to drink clear liquids if other your drink things other than water... don't know if that true anymore.

But another way to get water is to eat fruit,.... tread lightly though if your a diabetic.

And don't substitute beer for water... that doesn't count.

04/17/2017 12:32 PM

One should drink more water,... not only for hydrating,... but to also avoid getting kidney stones.

I myself was very fortunate I didn't have to experience this. I know of a few people who did as well as my dad and one of my brothers that had kidney stones... not a great experience.

You Can Prevent Kidney Stones with Lifestyle Changes

1. Drink Plenty of Water. The number one risk factor for kidney stones is not drinking enough water. ...
  2. Make Sure You Get Adequate Magnesium. ...
  3. Avoid Sugar, Including Fructose and Soda. ...
  4. Exercise. ...
  5. Eat Calcium-Rich Foods (But be careful with supplements) ...
  6. Avoid Non-Fermented Soy.

Good Answers: 7

04/17/2017 12:37 PM

Yep, you're drinking a solution actually. Ample water is 8 glasses a day as experts said.

What is bad is you're drinking not only water but sugar, phosporic acid, some food coloring, caffiene, CO2 and other non-body-friendly substance when taken in large amount.

Your body can somehow tolerate water at lesser quantity than your drowning level but if it contains say, for example 40% ethanol(80 proof whisky). Man, you're dead drunk right at it.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 99

04/17/2017 12:55 PM

Thank you all. My question has been answered.

In reply to #9

04/17/2017 1:36 PM

Cheers! You could also read this book: "Yellow River", by I. P. Freely.

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 188
In reply to #10

04/17/2017 1:45 PM

Soggy Sheets by I.P. Nightly.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 222
In reply to #10

04/17/2017 5:21 PM

Wouldn't it be clear then? Maybe it should have been named, "Clear Creek".

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

04/17/2017 5:24 PM

It's all downhill from here.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #10

04/18/2017 2:30 AM

Must be the re-write of the book by I.P. Daily

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #39

04/18/2017 2:42 AM

Preface by I.P. Moore

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #40

04/18/2017 6:58 AM

Offin,.... I.P. Offin started some good work... but its seems he's never been able to finish...

CR4 Admins - CR4 Admin - CR4 Admin

Good Answers: 26
In reply to #9

04/18/2017 3:26 PM

The wife is right as always, right? :)

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

04/17/2017 1:39 PM

While every husband knows that it is often better to follow a spouse's advice {Repeat after me the sacred mantra "Yes Dear"} in this case I would instead follow your physician's advice. Despite the huge volumes of readily available potable water, it is certainly easy to become dehydrated. However, hyperhydration and hyponatremia are real concerns if one dilutes themselves with too much water. You may have additional medical concerns involving your bladder, kidneys, colon, prostate, etc. that can make fluid intake volumes more critical for you.

In reply to #11

04/17/2017 1:50 PM

Maybe being diabetic and drinking also too many soft drinks (non-sugar ones), can result in electrolyte imbalance. I seem to suffer from a disproportionate amount of leg cramps. Taking salt helps (especially at night). I take other minerals including calcium, magnesium, and potassium.

Mine seems related to beernittis (ringing in ears from high-pitched whining of spouse).

In reply to #13

04/17/2017 1:58 PM

About 18 months ago, I was doing some R&D work... it was in December, working in a section of the place where the temps were 105 F.

The drinking fountain (Water) was about 30 feet away... and I drink so much water... I must have purge all the minerals out... finally I sent word to the office to get something with electrolytes in... (that was the polite request) which is in their safety plan due to the heat.

In reply to #14

04/17/2017 2:03 PM

It used to be in ours, then the PC police decided we were not allowed to have salt any longer. I fully expected a salt riot, as in India.

In reply to #15

04/17/2017 2:10 PM

Office got worried... some of the floor worker told their supervisors that I didn't look good. I couldn't even stand on my legs because they were shaking so much that I had to drop to both knees to drink out of the fountain..

then I went out side in 25 F light snow storm, and laid in the snow just to bring my core temps down. I was po'd when I returned... on all our plants we have Gatorade in 10 gallon igloos because of the heat.

In reply to #16

04/17/2017 2:24 PM

What industry is this? Apparently, ran by troglodytes. Actually, that gives troglodytes a bad name.

In reply to #17

04/17/2017 2:36 PM

We make liquid smoke, actually for the most part, the company was ok... what was strange was this was our only union plant.

In reply to #18

04/17/2017 2:42 PM

Liquid smoke just sounds like either a Hogwarts spell, an octopuses escape mechanism or a carcinogenic goo used to expedite tumor production.

In reply to #19

04/17/2017 2:47 PM

It is the stuff my mom used to pour on meat, supposedly to make it taste like it had been smoked, but she always forgot to dilute the stuff, and just doused the brisket. Really bad form. I have seven toes on one foot from this, and my nose glows when I lie.

In reply to #19

04/17/2017 2:48 PM

what again is the personal plural possessive pronoun for octopus?

In reply to #19

04/17/2017 3:04 PM

We strip the carcinogenic compounds out, one molecule at a time... we did have a problem with benzene... but we got that too.

The problem with smoke on a consumer level... no one reads the directions...when they cook with it... they'll add a little, then taste it... add some more, then taste it... add more yet.... well you get the point. then all of a sudden, the flavonoids will be released, and BAM!, you over did it.

I myself don't care for it..., But I do like the prime rib powder... makes everything taste good... definitely a run with the flavor of bacon....

Good Answers: 7
In reply to #18

04/17/2017 2:57 PM

Too much salt intakes abuse receptors. Depression soon follows when you are sober.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1062
In reply to #16

04/17/2017 6:11 PM

In reply to #36

04/17/2017 6:12 PM

See #29

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #36

04/18/2017 8:39 AM

That looks like the toxic waste in the Olympic pool in a video game I used to play. If you fell in, you had six seconds to get out, or forfeit all your health, and game over.

Good Answers: 33
In reply to #14

04/18/2017 6:25 PM

I lived in the Tropics for 30 years, repaired and built boats , in hot, dusty boatyards with no air movement, as well as similar work for the Navy. Hydration was found to be an all day/ night affair, with beer at night, but having a full glass of water for every 2 beers. We found that you never stopped drinking water, just moderated the intake, and found that you wouldn't get the heavy thirsts. Just a mild "Need a little water"message from the body. Also seemed to reduce the sweating. Once the sweating was reduced, and body toxins were removed, it was amazing to see how long we could work in really hot and humid environs, without getting the fatigues, as we called them.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 34
In reply to #11

04/18/2017 6:05 AM

Tha just about sums me up. I am under medical treatment and advised to drink lots of water, although it is fluids really - to flush out my waterworks. It is what is in the 'water' that care has to be taken so as not to conflict the medication.

04/17/2017 3:00 PM

Mum always said "Finish your beer, son! Don't you know there are sober kids in India?"

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #24

04/17/2017 3:02 PM

Have you seen the movie "LION" yet? I thoroughly recommend.

In reply to #25

04/17/2017 3:08 PM

Just read the write-up. Sounds like a fab film! Thanks for the head's-up!

Register to Reply
Guru

04/17/2017 3:18 PM

It doesn't matter so much how much is going in as it matters how much is going out and what color....pee on chart below for diagnosis...

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - New Member

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #28

04/17/2017 4:04 PM

Great, I just fried my monitor. Thanks SE.

In reply to #33

04/18/2017 8:37 AM

I get it! ROFLMAO!

As to filtering coffee out in the kidneys, that is pure rubbish! Coffee is not usually injected directly into the bloodstream, and such infusions are either lethal or highly dangerous to life and health! Coffee particles become poo particles. The water and caffeine (and a few other organics) are absorbed in the gut.

Kidneys and liver work on removing all nitrogenous organics (including all basic drugs), the liver working to transform them into lower oxidized metabolites, and the kidneys "filtering" them out.

In reply to #28

06/16/2017 9:26 AM

And if it comes out like this,.... you're either very Dehydrated... or need to see a doctor right away.

Good Answers: 5

04/17/2017 3:34 PM

Like always yall have it all WRONG!

In reply to #29

04/17/2017 3:35 PM

There you go! Great for plants, too.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #29

04/17/2017 3:57 PM

It's in the water, that's why its yellow.

In reply to #29

04/17/2017 4:02 PM

What else do it mutilate?

Good Answers: 1

04/17/2017 10:27 PM

Coffee particulates in water are a colloid, which is mechanically separable. A compound is not separable by mechanical means. Drinking water flushes the kidneys while coffee must be filtered by the kidneys. See the rest of the comments on diuretics.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #38

04/18/2017 2:20 PM

But it does stain your teef's....

Good Answers: 22
In reply to #38

04/19/2017 5:43 AM

Coming rather late to this party, but let's put some science in. The average adult needs no more than 2-2.5 litres of water a day in a temperate climate, of which 1 litre or so is already in solid food or generated by metabolic processes. You do not need 8 glasses of water a day. Flushing the kidneys is a reasonable treatment for existing renal stones, but it is not a useful prophylactic. Stones are not an invariable consequence of dehydration. They have other predisposing causes, which need investigation and treatment.

Both caffeine and alcohol are indeed mild diuretics, but not such as to involve adjustment to routine water balance calculations.

Coffee is NOT filtered by the kidneys. I find the suggestion that coffee particles somehow find their way into the bloodstream rather disturbing. Did they really teach you that in biology? For reference, caffeine is metabolised in the liver. The resulting xanthines have various actions, including stimulating blood flow generally and renal blood flow in particular.

The muscle cramps experienced after taking in too much water and not enough salt are well known to medicine. They go by the name of stokers' cramps, as they were a common feature in the engine rooms of coal-fired steamships. They were readily cured by a salt intake along with the water.

A final anecdote. I grew up in the tropics, but never experienced stoker's cramps. Recently, however, I experienced, after pushing children around on bicycles in the hot tropical sunshine, an almost complete bleaching of vision. At first I blamed my variable-tint glasses for not reacting to the sunshine, but after a litre of water and several teaspoons of salt I was completely cured. I don't think that features as a regular symptom of dehydration.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #85

04/19/2017 9:11 AM

Thanks for sharing about stoker's cramps. I work in a power generation plant, and at times, things are more than warm. Working in the yard at home also gets me now, so I do have to step up the salt intake with hydration.

I also take other minerals, potassium, magnesium, and calcium, due to my DM II condition.

It really bugs me when I wake up at 02:00 with cramps in my lower leg. Also happens when legs get cold (sleeping on top of the covers, etc.), or if too much carbohydrate intake.

Wool socks actually help.

In reply to #85

04/19/2017 11:58 AM

Vision bleaching, that's a first, never heard of that....or I don't remember, either way, bizarre....now I have heard of snowblind, and there was an incident in a movie "The Four Feathers" where a British officer went blind from heat stroke...anyway, happy to hear you recovered...

...this might be vision frosting....not sure

In reply to #95

04/19/2017 12:14 PM

I've experienced vision bleaching, from dehydration and heat stroke that landed me in a hospital for a week. It's no fun.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #95

04/19/2017 1:55 PM

Vision bleaching is probably what you see when you start crashing your B.P. during heat exhaustion or sunstroke. I did not find much related information or references myself, but it seems reasonable.

In reply to #99

04/19/2017 4:32 PM

Not for me. I was still happy to push the little children round on their bikes, but I just could not see properly to do so.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #114

04/19/2017 4:39 PM

Could it be your tear supply ran out? I wonder, but I am not doing an experiment to find out.

In reply to #115

04/19/2017 5:02 PM

No, it cannot be an effect of lack of tears, or of anything else happening at the front of the eye. It has to be a retinal effect, and my money is on the cones shutting down, leaving the rods active. The cones are responsible for tricolour vision in bright conditions and the rods for monochrome vision in the dark. The rods are completely overloaded in daylight.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #117

04/20/2017 8:40 AM

Good explanation, thank you. I now agree with you fully.

Good Answers: 28

04/18/2017 8:00 AM

I would take your wife's advice she has the knowledge. There are many articles (books) on water one in particular by an Iranian Dr. that was in prison many years back. (Your Body's Many Cries for water) Water is the molecule of life and has many unique qualities that are difficult to explain. Bottom line is nothing hydrates like pure clean water also water is the greatest solvent on the planet. It can transport nutrients in and out of the body. pure clean water there is nothing like it.

In reply to #43

04/18/2017 5:00 PM

Good Answers: 32

04/18/2017 10:19 AM

Chances are you're not drinking enough water; I'm not either, most of us aren't. If you see a wellness coach, they can get a BMI reading on you and determine if you're getting enough water. You should start your day by drinking a glass of water, for starters.

Guru

In reply to #62

04/18/2017 10:33 AM

That have more benefits...

I read that drinking water when you first get up in the morning and 1/2 hour before you eat, make your digestion more efficient and curbs you appetite where you lose weight.

So as an experiment, (making use of my fitbit but that's another thread ) I recently started that when I first get up to drink a (4-6oz) glass of water and then I don't eat for 1/2 hours. I'm slowly losing weight.

I've learn also that other benefits... don't recall the source, but doing this by drinking water in the morning helps with brain synapses more efficient... that's kinda hard to measure,... with the exception... I do fell more alert and hold concentration better.

But that could be from the spring weather.....

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andrew Westman (12); AWSCWI(RETIRED) (1); Brave Sir Robin (1); C-Mac (1); gringogreg (1); gutmonarch (2); Hannes (1); horace40 (2); Jacko the Aus (1); James Stewart (39); Janissaries (9); JE in Chicago (3); JPool (11); Mikerho (1); molecules (2); phoenix911 (36); phph001 (25); Phys (4); PWSlack (1); redfred (13); Rixter (1); ronc (1); ronseto (1); roy hammy (1); SolarEagle (6); truth is not a compromise (15); yamdankee (1)

Previous in Forum: University of Amsterdam Find New CO2 Conversion   Next in Forum: White Color Scale Removal in Domestic Water PVC Pipes

Advertisement