Previous in Forum: Circuit Breaker Trippings   Next in Forum: PI Suffix
Close
Close
Close
21 comments
Active Contributor

Control Valve

04/18/2017 5:20 AM

Please explain the terminology flow up and flow down control valve? Is it same as flow over and flow under?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 744

Re: Control valve

04/18/2017 5:58 AM

The short answer is that it is the opposite of that description. Regardless of the actual orientation of the valve, "flow up" means that the flow goes through the orifice toward the disk and stem (or whatever other control device such as plunger/solenoid for example).

Good Answers: 143

Re: Control Valve

04/18/2017 9:30 AM

Well that depends on northern or southern hemisphere (HA HA), and if in Australia, the flow is probably down under. In North America, the flow is up and over the top, just like it was in WWI.

Reply #1 has you covered, I am just the comic relief in the building. I am to be here all week, until my next assignment comes in.

I suppose it is true that flow direction in a control valve may be directed in a way that assists opening or closing the valve (as in co-directional, or counter-directional), and that may result in the valve being classified as a poppet, relief, or other application that is specific purpose.

Care to share the rest of the information about your query with the rest of us inquiring minds?

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #2

04/18/2017 12:14 PM

Just a 'side' note: Australia is quite a bit more sideways than under. Consider that the centre of Australia (aka 'Lambert Centre') is as close to the equator as Brownsville, Texas. Oz' most southern extremity (the southern tip of Tasmania) is about as distant from the equator as Casper, Wyoming. Australia's most-northern tip is eight degrees latitude closer to the equator than the southern tip of Hawaii. Yeah, Oz is called 'Down Under' but, geographically, it's quite a bit closer to the equator than the States.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #6

04/18/2017 12:32 PM

True that. Sorry, but I have always heard it mentioned the other way. Bad habit, I suppose; I even knew most of the geography you mentioned, at least I had exposure to it.

In reply to #7

04/18/2017 12:45 PM

Oz is also called the 'Lucky Country;' that is, you're bloody lucky not to get killed by something at least twice a day. Yeah, one of those brown thingos in the pic is one of the deadliest snakes in the world. It harmlessly slithered on by.

Guru

In reply to #8

04/18/2017 1:27 PM

O.M.G. Seems the Satan is everywhere! Bless that innocent baby!

I happily continue with the off-topic part of this thread.

In reply to #9

04/18/2017 1:51 PM
Power-User

Good Answers: 26
In reply to #6

04/18/2017 11:37 PM

I assumed that the down under was a britishism - the idea that if you drill through the earth you come out in Oz but even Sydney is way closer to Equator than London

The drill through point is actually off SE of New Zealand South Island (600km from Dunedin sort of thing)

btw thats a crazy pic of a brown!

In reply to #11

04/19/2017 12:28 AM

J. A. Froude, an Oxford historian, first coined the term not in reference to drilling operations, but in reference to lands in the Southern Hemisphere generally, and Oceania (Oz, NZ, etc) specifically. First mentioned on p. 92 in a highly-popular-at-the-time book of his travels called Oceania, Or, England and Her Colonies, published in 1886:

"We were to bid adieu to the 'Australasian'…She had carried us safely down under."

Guru

Good Answers: 171
In reply to #6

04/18/2017 11:45 PM

The true orientation of the earth is arbitrary.

There is no evidence that North is actually at the top.

The original pics taken from Apollo 17 actually show Antarctica at the top, the pics were then inverted to fit convention.

Do compass needles point North? Not necessarily, they point both North and South, it's only convention to mark the North pointing part. The Earliest Chinese compasses pointed South.

You may think that it's all Greek, and that's due to a Greek chap called Claudius Ptolemaeus who way back around the first century AD produced a work called Geographica in which he described map drawing methods which depicted The Mediterranean area in the orientation that it is conventionally shown.

His reasons are generally thought to be due to the position of Polaris as it was the only star that never moved from its position.

There was also a period when East was shown on maps as being uppermost, then there's the Arabian Tabula Rogeriana showing South at the top.

Since most recent exploration was carried out by Europeans, it was probably natural (and big headed) for them to consider themselves at the top of the world.

Mercator's works of 1569 pretty much cemented the view that North is at the top,

Is there an up and down in space?

Us Aussies "down under" simply let you guys with huge egos continue to believe you're at the top - we know the truth

You may say when things go wrong that "they went South" but it's the best place to be.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #12

04/19/2017 12:32 AM

Are you addressing other Aussies who also live in the States (for the time being), or to just me specifically?

What do you think of the southern U.S. states collectively known as 'The Deep South'? You'd think these blokes had never heard of this imaginary thingo called an 'equator.'

Guru

In reply to #14

04/19/2017 12:48 AM

Although I was aware of your Australian connection via a girlfriend mentioned some time ago, I was unaware until now that you are also an Aussie. The collective IQ of the US just rose significantly.

The comment, as with the one above, was tongue in cheek, directed generally to all those North of the Equator and not intended to offend.

Guru

In reply to #15

04/19/2017 1:10 AM

You're not Peter Garrett in real life are you? Of Midnight Oil fame?

I'm pretty sure you're not - Peter would never have even considered a disclaimer lol.

Guru

In reply to #16

04/19/2017 2:04 AM

Nah....I've got hair - and a brain.

Guru

In reply to #17

04/19/2017 2:06 AM

Guru

In reply to #15

04/19/2017 2:44 PM

When you left?

In reply to #14

04/19/2017 2:44 PM

Thing is, mate, if you keep going south on us like that, you will end up being in the north, that is just how it rolls.

In reply to #12

04/19/2017 2:42 PM

Nah mate. You've got it wrong. The Earth is pear-shaped (after further review of the fakey fake news bulletin network), with the butt down under. I keep trying to get a head in this world, butt I just keep making an ass of myself.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 765

04/18/2017 10:42 AM

Sometimes these type of nuance terms come from the marketing department and do not have anything at all to do with the functionality of the device. Without a whitepaper or anything at all specific about this particular valve(s) it is pure conjecture why this mystery part uses nebulous terms.

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 697

04/18/2017 11:04 AM

There are only two ways a fluid can pass through a modulating control valve:

1. With the modulating mechanism on the higher pressure side. Flow tends to drive the mechanism further shut.
  2. With the modulating mechanism on the lower pressure side. Flow tends to drive the mechanism further open.

Anything else is semantics.

In reply to #4

04/18/2017 11:38 AM

Very good, and very concise answer, just what is called for!!!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andrew Westman (7); James Stewart (7); PWSlack (1); redfred (1); simonsd (1); spades (3); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Circuit Breaker Trippings   Next in Forum: PI Suffix

Advertisement