CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Entry Level Stepper Motor Control / What To Use?   Next in Forum: Electromagnetic Disturbance at Sound Bandwidth
Close
Close
Close
21 comments
Associate

Desktop Motherboard

04/19/2017 9:36 AM

Hello Friends,

I want purchase Intel core i5-3470 3.2GHZ Processor. With this processor, which model of Gigabyte motherboard and DDR3 RAM i can purchase. with this combination, i want use sata hard disk.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: motherboard
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 204

Re: Desktop motherboard

04/19/2017 9:55 AM

Socket FCLGA1155. Any of these. You'll have to refine down the 131 selections.

Dual channel DDR3 1366/1600

A simple search gives you all the answers you seek

Good Answers: 228

Re: Desktop Motherboard

04/19/2017 3:01 PM
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 699

04/19/2017 4:06 PM

Here's an idea: ask the people who are selling the <...Intel core i5-3470 3.2GHZ Processor...>. It's a novel idea and, who knows, it may just work.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 147

04/19/2017 4:11 PM

Don't do this example: Computer comes with 32GB solid-state memory (laptop).

System (starting out) was 2/3 of 32GB, roughly. Computer came with one year free Cloud use at 1TB, but customer never utilized the Cloud. duh.

Customer never used an SD drive, but may have used a thumb drive to transfer some needed files to another system. Now customer is boiling over, because he deleted the most important Arduino sketches of his life.

Make sure you buy a system with sufficient hard memory to cover every situation you will run into.

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

In reply to #4

04/19/2017 6:57 PM

Everything he asked is in my first post, there are 131 Gigabyte motherboards that will support his processor. Here is my link...: http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/Intel-Socket-1155. Ram is pretty much ram as long as your motherboard supports it.

He needs to decide what he needs it for, and how much he wants to spend, which my crystal ball is failing me on.....

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #5

04/19/2017 7:45 PM

On mine the RAM and SATA drive weren't the problem so much as the cost of the coprocessor

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #6

04/19/2017 7:51 PM

That looks like what I wish my next build was...

In reply to #7

04/19/2017 7:59 PM

I know, right? Can you image the 3D VR gaming you could do on that? Ray-traced scene rendering and acoustics, and realistic physics in real time? A Holodeck without the 'deck' part. So what if its electric bill is $9 million a year. You'd never see me here again!

Speaking of which. Wouldn't it be cool if instead of typing at a keyboard we could all talk face to VR face. Anonymous posters wearing Guy Fawkes masks could be wrestled to the ground and the masks torn off.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

04/19/2017 9:01 PM

I'm trying to imagine the V.R. gaming I can do with my build, I have a 1060 GTX video card that is supposed to be V.R. ready. I was going to get Nvidia's V.R. goggles but now I have to replace my sons 17.3 inch LCD on the HP laptop I just bought at Christmas. He cracked his screen, in four months a laptop is now a desktop...

In reply to #9

04/19/2017 9:45 PM

They do that. They're hard on stuff.

That 1060's specs are pretty impressive.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

04/20/2017 8:41 AM

By no means is it top of the line, but it is a great card for the money.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #8

04/20/2017 10:20 AM

Something tells me it would degenerate into a free-for-all bar fight.

In reply to #6

04/20/2017 10:18 AM

What is a SATA drive? I am not a computer knowledgeable up-to-date kind of a guy. You know why they call it knowledge? It is narrow, slippery, and once there, one easily slips off and down the cliff you go. I have been just clawing the cliff face for a long time, but I feel the plunge coming.

In reply to #12

04/20/2017 10:42 AM

SATA - Serial AT Attachment. When a component of a larger storage area network, SATAN. Serial AT Attachment, Networked; typically monitored by daemons running in the background.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

04/20/2017 10:51 AM

But what keeps the daemons from running amok, and causing all manner of chaos on the internet? Is that what happens when someone lets the smoke out of a server farm?

In reply to #12

04/20/2017 11:54 AM

SATA is the connection interface for the hard drive, pretty much every drive in the last 10 years has been SATA. It replaced the former interface which was IDE (parallel). You may remember seeing the 40 and 80 pin ribbon cables. SATA just has a small serial cable.

In reply to #16

04/20/2017 1:36 PM

So that's why my 'puter quit working when I clipped the yellow wire.

In reply to #17

04/20/2017 1:50 PM

Don't clip the yellow wire, you were supposed to clip the blue wire. By clipping the yellow wire, you sent a copy, to everyone, of that section of your hard drive you try to keep hidden, the one you stay up late and watch...

My copy is downloading now, thanks.......

In reply to #18

04/20/2017 1:58 PM

No worries, I have black tape over the cam. HA HA HA

The chandeliers are however, a bit the worse for wear, and one beam is sagging.

Here is my wifey's selfy:

In reply to #19

04/20/2017 4:04 PM

You know what? I don't care about what the rest of CR4 says about you, you are OK in my book. You have made me chuckle quite a few times.

Here is my wifey's selfie :

That's right, I don't have a wifey anymore. To quote my favorite Scottish history movie, "FREEDOM!!!!!!".

Location: just died off here (now i may flicker back for a while)

05/01/2017 9:41 AM

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-3470

see section "Last 5 Baselines for Intel Core i5-3470 ..." below (((for only random 5 possible system configurations -- why i'm not that smart as these guys)))

what you actually want to find out is -- how well your future system integrates together in practice and in a longer run

integrates together -- is what the cpubenchmark for a particular pc somewhat hints

in a longer run -- is apx. ... though SSD drives are faster -- then their service life is likely orders less than for SATA . . . as also for each additional adapter it's good to know how well they get along with the rest of your system*

(((nowadays less likely* -- say you can't have both a device X and Y integrated to your system because of some specific mode they attempt to allocate sys. resources -- which may be significantly limiting their I/O -- even up to a device and system hang -- this may concern not-integrated(not tested in particular system) graphics and misc. I/O adapters)))

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andrew Westman (4); ci139 (1); James Stewart (6); JPool (8); PWSlack (1); Randall (1)

Previous in Forum: Entry Level Stepper Motor Control / What To Use?   Next in Forum: Electromagnetic Disturbance at Sound Bandwidth

Advertisement