CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Thrust Bearing - Steam Turbine   Next in Forum: AHU Cooling Coil Capacity Calculation
Close
Close
Close
3 comments
Participant

Assistance on Transient Heat Transfer Problem in Windows

04/21/2017 1:56 PM

Dear Friends,

I was trying to solve the below mentioned heat transfer problem through Finite element methods, but i got stuck up by how to consider boundary conditions(involves convection and radiation) and how to make this one into weak formulation. Could you please explain a procedure to deal with this problem.

Its a heat transfer transient problem between two glasses in a window, were we have to find temperatures θi & θj (temperature of 2 glasses in window), θk (temperature of air in between this glasses). And they have mentioned, to compute these temperature we have to solve below two differential eqn. :

I have calculated all data except temperature of θi, θj, θk.I have been trying to solve this problem for past 3 weeks, so please share your ideas on how to solve this kind of problems.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1008

Re: Assistance on Transient Heat Transfer Problem in Windows

04/21/2017 6:32 PM

Good Answers: 110
In reply to #1

04/23/2017 10:03 AM

I don't know where this guy lectures, but while some of the principles he uses are OK, his conclusions are way out IMO.

To start with his statement that the single-glazed window loses 6.4kW. That would be true if the 20°C ΔT were across the glass, but it isn't. Most of the resistance to heat flow is due to convection from inside air to glass on room side, and from glass on outside to outside air.

I would calculate convection heat flow first, initially assuming zero ΔT across the glass, so convection ΔT = 10°C both sides. Multiply the heat flow by the glass R-value to get glass ΔT. Can then plug that back in to get a new convection ΔT, and iterate if you want more accuracy. It comes to 64.02W first time round, with glass ΔT 0.2°C, and after only 2 iterations gives 63.23W and 0.2°C. 6.4kW is what a double-glazing salesman might say!

For the double-glazing case, it comes to 50.91W at glass ΔT 3.35°C after 7 iterations, compared with 181W in the video.

That's using 1.8W/m2/K1.25 for the natural convection coefficient. Obviously it's not an exact science and it would be different if there's a wind blowing outside.

I think that's the practical way to go about it, not sure whether it helps the OP with his finite elements and differential equations!

Good Answers: 7

04/23/2017 3:15 PM

Try Finite Difference Method it is much simplier.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 3 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Codemaster (1); gutmonarch (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Thrust Bearing - Steam Turbine   Next in Forum: AHU Cooling Coil Capacity Calculation

Advertisement