Previous in Forum: Am I Drinking Enough Water?   Next in Forum: Rubber and Heat
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Participant

White Color Scale Removal in Domestic Water PVC Pipes

04/21/2017 9:11 PM

Hi all, I am from Andhra Pradesh state ,India. white colour scale is accumulating inside our domestic pvc pipes and its blocking or lowering the water flow. Is there any safe chemical or method to remove that scale with out replacing pipes.Please learn that , As its drinking water pipes we need safe chemical to remove the scale.Please suggest.

I am giving the water sample test results here for your better understanding.

PH :6.5 to 8.5

TDS : 500 mg/l

Ca :75 mg/l

Mg :30 mg/l

Na : 200mg/l

CI :250 mg/l

So4 : 150 mg/l

NO3 : 45 mg/l

F : 0.6 to 1.2 mg/l

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 735

Re: white color scale removal in domestic water PVC pipes

04/21/2017 9:54 PM

I regularly descale my toilets and sinks with Muriatic acid which would not harm your PVC pipes.

If you could inject that at a controlled rate into your pipes as the water slowly flows through them it would clean them out.

Only major concern would be whatever point the water is coming out of will be burping chlorine gas as well so you would need a good deal of active ventilation going on at the same time.

However if you live in the country and can hook a hose up to the end of each line as you pump the acid though and send it outside it wouldn't be much of a problem.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Participant

In reply to #1

04/22/2017 6:23 AM

Thanks for reply. Is it safe to drink water once we cleaned the pvc pipes with muriatic acid.Please recommend any muriatic acid brand and method to clean.Thanks again

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

04/22/2017 11:47 AM

No specific brand. Whatever you can find in your local hardware or home building supply store is fine.

As for where to add it that up to you to figure out. As close to where your water source originates is best.

It will clean itself out by reacting with the minerals and be flushed away as your water runs in normal use.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 97

04/21/2017 10:29 PM

Now, once you've removed the scale, how will you keep buildup from recurring? A water softener system? Or do you plan to remove the scale occasionally? If you keep up with it it shouldn't take as much as the first time. Like tcmtech said, muriatic acid works and does not affect PVC pipe. Metal fittings - faucets, valves, etc. - may be another matter however, depending on the metal's composition.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

04/22/2017 12:09 AM

Short duration exposure to the metals commonly found in plumbing isn't much of a problem.

Chemically it's going to be going after the Calcium, potassium, sodium and other similar elements in the scale first. The stainless steel, Iron, Copper, Brass and like metals will be fine for the bit of exposure they will get.

The biggest concern I would have is making sure the piping has a good unrestricted exit point being as the scale breaks down it's likely going to get a bit chunky as it loosens up plus the gas bubbles the reactions will make help to drive it along pretty well.

Video worthy in my opinion!

My brothers plumbing has a silt problem (shallow well in a fine sand aquifer) so a few times over the years we have pumped air into his system (~ 5 CFM @ 40 PSI) right at the well pump discharge manifold to get a good air/water mix to scour the silt out of the lines.

It really works well but for the first few minutes as the bubbles start to break the silt up what comes out of whatever faucet or hydrant that is open is just nasty bubbling sludge!

It's what I expect the OP would be seeing with the acid flush of his system.

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #4

04/22/2017 6:28 AM

Thanks for reply. I don't think ,the air can flush out the scale as it is very hard unlike silt.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 995

04/21/2017 10:56 PM

PVC is so cheap I would just replace the tube....unless you are looking at a major expense, then I would kick myself for not installing a water softener system to begin with, and buy one, then replace all the pipe....Trying to clean it all out will leave residual mineral deposits behind, and the formation will happen faster the second time...

Good Answers: 25

Re: White Color Scale Removal in Domestic Water PVC Pipes

04/24/2017 3:29 AM

please contact Kitec ind. India ltd. they will help you.

Email And Phone Removed - CR4 Admin

Good Answers: 122

Re: White Color Scale Removal in Domestic Water PVC Pipes

04/24/2017 11:26 AM

Insufficient data, but based on the rather high fluoride level shown, I would avoid using acidic compounds as these will all produce toxic HF vapor that can poison the unwitting.

Use tetrasodium EDTA chelant as is diluted to a few parts per thousand on the day the water line is to be cleaned with no human use of the water other than for washing on that day, or even sodium citrate, buffered with citric acid to a pH of 6 would work well on your water. You need to know if there are heavy metals or transition metals present as well, however, so the safest recommendation is have full metals panel done at least once by an accredited laboratory.

Is there any chance of actually treating this water in a central location prior to pipe admission? That might go a long way to ameliorating the issue.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andrew Westman (1); James Stewart (1); smartkrish07 (2); SolarEagle (1); suresh sharma (1); tcmtech (3)

Previous in Forum: Am I Drinking Enough Water?   Next in Forum: Rubber and Heat

Advertisement