CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: The Things People Throw Away!   Next in Forum: Injection Moulding Small Quantities
Close
Close
Close
56 comments
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 308

Product Search

05/03/2017 9:09 AM

We are hanging up signs in our warehouse... and we had some beam clamps, with spiral bolts/fasteners for the cable to slip through.

these spiral eye-bolts? we had a few on our shelves... by the looks of it, I don't believe we made them. There were not in our reorder data base. I looked at McMaster and Grainger as well as Fastenal website.

I'm sending over a runner with this sample to our local Fastenal supplier to see if he can source them.

The size is a 1/4""-20 thread and approx. 1-1/2" spiral loop. Has any one have any idea were these can be sourced or even a name of these. And they screw into the beam clamps.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 122

Re: Product Search

05/03/2017 9:47 AM

That thing appears to be home-made from beam clamps, and an old spring out of a washing machine!

Shirley can come up with something better.

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 170

05/03/2017 9:49 AM

Edit : re-read the O.P.

Those appear to be home made. Do they have to have a 1.5" eye?

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #2

05/03/2017 10:04 AM

Yes, 1-1/2" eye.

its possible hand made... if it was a dozen it won't be an issue, but we require a hundreds... and because of that, if there is something similar that can be bought. I'm on that...

thanks,...

Good Answers: 100
In reply to #3

05/03/2017 10:29 AM

Beam clamp. McMaster-Carr has all kinds including styles similar to that.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#i-beam-clamps/=tzgzr0

That style is okay, but if they undergo a torque they tend to twist off. Bilateral clamps are better if you expect they will experience torque or vibration.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

05/03/2017 10:32 AM

I have the beam clamps... because that was the easy one.

In reply to #5

05/03/2017 10:34 AM

You can't use stock eye bolts for that?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

05/03/2017 10:41 AM

you would think one could...

Guru

In reply to #5

05/03/2017 10:45 AM

Here you go: threaded bridle rings

https://www.cableorganizer.com/bridle-rings/

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 4)
Guru

In reply to #3

05/03/2017 10:35 AM

I was working on this awesome reply to cover what you are searching for, with pictures and links, and all of a sudden it just went {poof} I found some on Grainger, Amazon etc.

You want a mean clamp with 1/4-20 threaded additional hole (that than the hole for the clamping bolt), then you want a 1/4-20 threaded "bridle ring" cable hanger.

In reply to #7

05/03/2017 10:43 AM

ok... beam clamp I have...

'bridle ring' cable hanger I'm looking for,... thanks

I didn't know what it was called. Now I'm finding them all over the place.

even the places I already looked.

In reply to #7

05/03/2017 11:05 AM

GA. I remembered seeing these used with wiring but I couldn't remember what they were called.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

05/03/2017 11:12 AM

Our (maintenance) are using it to string the cable to hold up signs... I just let them know... that these don't take tension.

In reply to #12

05/03/2017 11:39 AM

Nobody around here takes tension all that well either, without flying off the handle, but it is that time of year, when we all wonder that we still have jobs, and no dispatches. Hell of a way to "run" a power generation facility.

In reply to #12

05/03/2017 1:15 PM

As long as the cable is properly pre-tensioned and anchored at the ends (and can take the load), there shouldn't be too much force on each individual hook.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

05/03/2017 1:27 PM

That's just it,... the maintenance manager said they were going to string it horizontal between columns....

The signs are going to be hefty (9"x 21") 3/8" UHMW ???... I asked why so robust???, he said so they don't swing... we have good air movement in the warehouse just do to our product degassing.

And put the signs on it (to identify the warehouse isles) columns. how many signs on a string? don't know, but I let then know to keep that in mind.

If I keep asking questions,... I'll be doing it. I'm almost there already, I already contacted a manufacture that makes these and to get his advice.

In reply to #15

05/03/2017 1:31 PM

So you have live bovine species in your warehouse producing enough cow-farts to keep the signs fluttering in the breeze? Wow, there for a minute I thought you worked at Bush's Beans or something.

In reply to #16

05/03/2017 1:32 PM

not quite... but its some pretty active stuff after processing.

In reply to #17

05/03/2017 1:36 PM

Frumunda cheese factory?

In reply to #18

05/03/2017 1:45 PM

I had to google it,.. now that is disgusting... and you really should see a doctor about that...

In reply to #18

05/03/2017 1:53 PM

Not nearly as bad as Venezuelan Beaver Cheese.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #21

05/03/2017 2:16 PM

Yes truly a senseless waste of human life. What cheese shop does not have Venezuelan Beaver Cheese. They are mammals after all, are they not?

In reply to #22

05/03/2017 2:23 PM

I'm not sure. The visor on my HAZMAT suit fogged-up on the outside.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

In reply to #22

05/03/2017 3:36 PM

Try this cheese.

In reply to #32

05/03/2017 5:48 PM

I shouldn't bring this up... but since you did.

The first job I had out of college, one of my coworker, just had a baby, and she returned to work... and during her 8 hours, she would leave to 'milk' herself, which would take, hour to and hour and a half. 2-3 times a day... so, she actually was paid to do this on company time.

everyone was getting po'd so I dropped a hint... kinda... one day as her ritual, she excused herself, and another coworker asked where she was going, and she told them... I held out my coffee cup, and asked if she could get me some cream for my coffee.

Btw, since this is so far off its rails,... if this keeps up, this thread should be moved to the break room.

In reply to #33

05/03/2017 6:21 PM

Human cream in your coffee..??? Well we are mammals, we are supposed to start our survival off of our mothers milk. We are the only mammal that drinks another mammals milk. We also consume the milk of many other mammals in the form of cheese.

Although I have not tried it, I am not sure why we are so adverse to consuming our own species milk.

In reply to #34

05/03/2017 6:30 PM

"We are the only mammal that drinks another mammals milk."

Not uncommon among other species, actually.

Guru

In reply to #35

05/03/2017 6:44 PM

No,... when I was on the farm... when milking, we had cats and our dog lined up as I prepared the cow for milking... i d give them a few squirts to them... they'd just sit there with their mouths open as a target... of course I hit their mouths.... but the type a kid I was,... I'd also blast them in the face with a heavy squirt too...

it was like a Norman Rockwell scene.

In reply to #37

05/03/2017 6:55 PM

My great uncle had a dairy farm and 23 cats that would all gather about at milking time and wait for their squirt. They didn't care if they got blasted in the face. If they didn't get it all off the other cats would oblige. It was really cute.

Guru

In reply to #35

05/03/2017 7:12 PM

On a regular basis... We milk other mammals for their milk. Yes cats will drink cows milk, I am not trying to start an argument. Do any other mammals specifically go after another mammal for its milk like we do?

My point is we have no aversion to consuming another mammals milk, but there seems to be an aversion on consuming our own species milk, am I wrong about this?

In reply to #42

05/03/2017 7:26 PM

Not trying to start an argument J. Just saying it happens. Now I reckon if other species could build dairies and automatic milkers like we can, who's to say they wouldn't regularly milk other species like we do cows and goats? There are some kinds of ants that regularly 'milk' aphids. That's probably the closest natural example of what humans do. In a much more general sense, many species have symbiotic relationships with other species.

Sometimes it happens in the wild - a young animal is orphaned and another animal of a different species takes it on as one of its own. The odds of that happening are pretty slim in general, but it does happen (more often with domestic animals) and that's all I'm saying.

Now as far as humans having an aversion to human milk (and/or cheese made from it), I know I do and that it's probably a cultural thing. I cannot speak for other cultures elsewhere in the world, however. For all I know it may be fairly common in some corners of the world.

Guru

In reply to #43

05/03/2017 7:43 PM

Now I wonder what I would have done if she have taken my coffee cup, and put milk in it...

In reply to #45

05/03/2017 8:01 PM

You may have liked it, but for most of us, we would have considered it gross. Not sure why, though....

In reply to #47

05/03/2017 8:50 PM

I doubt it,... it was the point that the majority of her time was spent on personal business and getting paid for it.

In reply to #43

05/03/2017 8:00 PM

You are right, ants do milk aphids for their "milk"... I have recently read several articles about breast feeding and backlash because of it.

I don't get it, something so natural on an animal level and someone gets kicked off a plane or out of a school or other public place for doing what is natural?

I was bottle fed, my kids were bottle fed, I just don't get why the backlash/ stigma is for humans consuming human milk. As far as I know, I have never consumed human milk, why is that?

It should be natural but it seems taboo.

I am not sure why I feel strongly about this, but I just don't get the stigma about it, when we have no issue consuming multiple other species milk.

In reply to #46

05/03/2017 8:24 PM

All my kids were breast-fed and once in awhile we encountered some puckered-at-both-ends git who couldn't bear the idea of my wife publicly breakin' out the Tits for Tots. Ah well, sucks to be them. If they objected she'd just smile and tell 'em to piss off.

Guru

In reply to #48

05/03/2017 8:38 PM

I have never gone through that, my kids mothers didn't breast feed for their own reasons, but if they did, I would have stood up for them if someone took issue.

About seven years ago, I was at a local metropark beach with my kids, a woman was breast feeding, covered up mind you, and multiple people were objecting. My kids 7 and 8 asked me what she was doing, I said feeding her baby. They both said, oh, and went back to digging in the sand and playing in the water.

Other people were shielding their kids and then I watched park rangers confront the woman, shortly later the township police department showed up and her and her baby were removed from the park.

Neither I or my kids never saw a breast or anything inappropriate, we saw a baby under a blanket obviously feeding. I will never forget how people were reacting. I will never understand why....

In reply to #49

05/03/2017 8:44 PM

Now I've never seen it to that extreme. Some serious phobias sounds like. Hell, in Munich women sunbathe topless in the parks and only the tourists gawk (guess from which country?). Being topless in Munich is about as newsworthy as someone going grocery-shopping.

Guru

In reply to #49

05/04/2017 9:01 AM

Welcome to the world of PC, where natural is replaced by surreal, and forbidden becomes ordinary - I suspect if that had been a couple of _ _ _ _ _ _ playing "holster this weapon", it would have been OK.

So, next time someones starts the PC thing, invite their over-pressured orifices to leave. Piss off, as they say in the civilized world.

In reply to #42

05/03/2017 7:40 PM

If your looking for an Argument, it's down the hall and to the left.

In reply to #35

05/04/2017 8:55 AM

Probably the #1 reason why the aliens have not melted our planet down to slag for its minerals, sucked up all the water, etc. is that the other mammal species on our planet have 3 orders of magnitude more love in them than we do. And they come by it naturally.

Good point, that you made.

In reply to #34

05/03/2017 6:40 PM

I didn't either... I was making a point... an open point at that, that could have been taken a number of ways... anyone who get paid for 8 hours and spends 4-1/2 of those 8 on personal business po a lot of people...

not to mention balancing her check book for another hour on company time... and lets get this straight, it wasn't necessarily company time, we had a huge government contract where we billed the government hourly...

and that's how she got away with it.

In reply to #36

05/03/2017 6:51 PM

comment removed.

Guru

In reply to #38

05/03/2017 6:55 PM

I'm relieved

In reply to #40

05/03/2017 6:58 PM

It was in reply to the wrong comment. No worries, you're safe. For now.

Guru

In reply to #21

05/03/2017 2:25 PM

You guys aren't far from the truth... sure its funny until one finds out its not far from the truth....

Lets take Limburger Cheese for instance....

Just think, we'd never would have gotten limburger cheese if the cheese-maker that made the first batch would have had better hygiene or at the very least showered...

the cheese produces its notorious smell because of the bacterium used to ferment Limburger cheese and many other smear-ripened cheeses. This is Brevibacterium linens, the same one found on human skin that is partially responsible for body odor and particularly foot odor.

In reply to #24

05/03/2017 2:34 PM

Odd you should mention that. Here at the power plant where I am officed, we seem to have a pestilent persistent haunting by former inhabitants of these High Plains. It seems the place is an "Indian" burial ground or was at some point.

There are places even in plant basement, but also outside near a couple of excitation transformers where the odor of "unwashed humanity" is strongly present, even though no one working that day has such an odor. People have heard muffled voices speaking in the basement when no one is there (at night), and also have been tapped on the shoulder, even shoved hard on one shoulder when no one is present on the turbine deck.

A bit far off from Halloween, but here's an early start.

In reply to #28

05/03/2017 2:37 PM

Sounds like you need to find someone skilled in the subtle art of power-plant exorcisms.

On the bright side, consider yourself lucky you don't have Coolyaar working there.

Guru

In reply to #28

05/03/2017 2:40 PM

I dated a girl one time... who half their family likes limburger cheese, the other half not so much... and every chance they get,... they would put some limburger cheese in their relatives car... in the summer... preferable at a parade or something.

Good Answers: 157
In reply to #21

05/04/2017 12:28 AM

It is a bit embarrassing, since I do have British ancestry, but I'm afraid it is just too difficult for me to understand Monty...

In reply to #15

05/03/2017 1:50 PM

That maintenance manager is kidding himself. Oh they'll swing. Heavier signs swing with a lower amplitude but, on the flip-side, because of their greater weight they swing with more force, and so it's pretty much a wash in terms of loading that cable where swinging is concerned. Now, on top of that, he'll have the additional static weight from using the heavier signs.

What he should do to keep them from swinging is to use lightweight signs and anchor them at top and at bottom using a second cable.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #20

05/03/2017 2:29 PM

Ha,... I just talked to our maintenance manager ... and he said (he said/she said) that is what the maintenance guy at our distribution center said he was going to do.... maybe....

In reply to #15

05/03/2017 2:29 PM

I should also mention that he's putting a lot of faith in those anchors. That cable gives away and he'll have the whole string coming down on people's heads. He should use lightweight signs - even fabric ones will work - if he keeps them from swinging using a second, bottom, cable.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #26

05/03/2017 2:31 PM

yes,... I mentioned that to him...

it wouldn't be long... and I'll be doing it... and we'll end up with hundreds of those bridle bolts on our shelves...

In reply to #27

05/03/2017 2:34 PM

Lol! Isn't that how it always seems to work?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 110

05/04/2017 3:41 AM

There's Lindapter in UK who make various beam clamps. I can't see anything on their site with the cable eye, but it might be worth trying them.

In reply to #53

05/04/2017 7:14 AM

Thanks,... Since I found out the name 'Bridle Ring'. They are readily available. McMaster, Fastenal, and fairly cheap.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andrew Westman (18); Codemaster (1); dkwarner (1); James Stewart (9); JPool (7); phoenix911 (20)

Previous in Forum: The Things People Throw Away!   Next in Forum: Injection Moulding Small Quantities

Advertisement