CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Soldering Techniques For Tiny Chips to Tiny Boards   Next in Forum: AI Neural Network's Names for New Paint Colors
Close
Close
Close
43 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 24

Project Loon

05/08/2017 8:15 PM

In early March I was looking skyward shortly after sunset and saw a weather balloon. It had a payload of some sort with several strobes. Thought about it for awhile then it fell off the RADAR

Last Tuesday, saw another balloon and several hours later another.

Wednesday, I discovered the launching site, an old hangar on Roosie Roads Navy Base in Ceiba, PR. Got the telescope out and saw the launch hardware was labeled "Chicken Little Sn 005". Last Wednesday and Thursday 4 balloons were launched each nite, at about 2 hr intervals. DuckDuckgo lists it as Project Loon, Google is involved somehow and they reportedly are exploring WIFI for out of touch locales.

Has anyone else run into this?

Next time I'll get the scanner powered up and see if I can listen in

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Project Loon wifi
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1125

Re: Project Loon

05/08/2017 8:27 PM

In reply to #1

05/08/2017 8:58 PM

Thanks, and here I thought they were checking out my hurricane diverters

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152
In reply to #1

05/10/2017 10:06 AM

Thoughtful of you to provide us the video and link, but viewing the video from the link was better for me, since I was able to go full screen and read the subtitles, without interfering ads for more videos.

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 620

05/08/2017 9:11 PM

How long will they stay aloft, and what happens when one of these things falls out if the sky?

The 'chicken little' reference makes me think that they've anticipated this. Maybe there is a parachute triggered to deploy if a sudden drop in altitude is detected? So it doesn't fall out the sky and hit someone on the head.

In reply to #3

05/08/2017 9:22 PM

Nothing stays up forever. According to the internet, several have landed unexpectedly, with the attendant UFO sightings. The real radiosonde balloons are equipped with parachutes. Is what is interesting is the ability to maintain a specific altitude. Typically they explode at some altitude when they overinflate due to lower atmospheric pressure. There is usually a reward for finding them. I'm certain Google has this covered.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774
In reply to #4

05/09/2017 11:04 AM

Nothing stays up forever unless one achieves escape velocity.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 87
In reply to #10

05/10/2017 10:06 AM

At that point, 'up' and 'down' lose their meaning, there is only 'forward' and 'aft.' All other designations are arbitrary and based on artificial reference points: "We'll designate the side with the radio dish as 'top' and the side with the thruster as 'back,' the other four sides will be defined from those two reference points."

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 115

05/08/2017 9:55 PM

T-Mobile's current (as of 8:43 Central Time) outage map from this website which monitors cellular availability from different providers.

Currently I have no cellular connection at all. Not even within 1/2 mile of their nearest tower. Not even zero bars, but one of these. Normally I have merely zero bars or, with a 38 dB antenna booster, two bars. Forget 4G LTE.

Can you say "third-world country"?

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 1125
In reply to #5

05/08/2017 11:16 PM

I rarely use the LTE anymore, there is usually a wifi connection close enough....I have AT&T and must say the LTE is usually a bit faster...They do seem to be able to control and vary the altitude on these balloons using algorithms, so there must be a gas control valve that varies volume....

In reply to #6

05/08/2017 11:30 PM

The Internet service here is worse than the cell service. It is the worst Internet service I have ever had and it is the only one available in this (very rural) area. There is satellite Internet service of course, but it is just as bad. Hughes. The one satellite Internet service I was using went out of business when the satellite they were using shut down. It was already two years past its service life and they haven't replaced it. Even when it was working, any clouds between the Earth terminal and satellite, and the signal dropped. There's a big water-vapour notch in the Ku microwave band that the link used. First sign of rain, no signal. For cell service, I'm switching soon to AT&T as its signal is the only reliable signal in this area. Really, I'd probably have better service in the middle of the Sahara. Living here is like living in a bluddy banana republic in terms of communications infrastructure. It's appalling. I'm done whinging now.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 620
In reply to #7

05/09/2017 9:26 AM

I recently moved from a somewhat rural area with decent internet to a very rural area with poor internet. (The ISP actually has two tiers of service, a fiber optic internet connection with excellent speed and an old copper phone/DSL with poor speed. I'm hoping the fiber gets to my neighborhood soon.)

In the meantime, I am seriously considering this. I'm told that they limit your total data, so using it for streaming movies might not be so good, but the upload/download speeds are much better than the DSL I'm stuck with: https://www.dishpromotions.com/technology/dishnet/ This would also cost me half of what I'm paying now.

I already have DISH TV service, and the price is reasonable for what I'm getting.

Oh yeah - the cell service here isn't very good either, so I have my iphone set for calling via my home wifi via the DSL line. This works just fine.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #7

05/09/2017 11:21 AM

Ku band you mentioned, and is very famous for dropping out in the middle of something you want to watch, usually induced by a thick cloud, etc. (nother mother ship?).

What about C-band, is there the same issue with moisture absorption bands? I do not remember customers complaining about C-band, although it probably is a giant leap backward in terms of shear bandwidth and internet Tx/Rx ability.

In reply to #11

05/09/2017 2:21 PM

No, C-band is not vulnerable to 'rain-fade' but is very vulnerable to interference from terrestrial microwave links. Local providers also do not offer it as an option. Because of its lower frequency the hardware is quite a bit larger than Ku-band gear and more expensive, reminiscent of the large (2-3 metre) satellite-TV dishes of the 80s.

Guru

In reply to #12

05/09/2017 2:26 PM

Yup. That would be an issue in most folks back yards, I suspect. Especially since they are used to the smaller ones.

05/09/2017 12:07 AM

This launch platform?

And this style of balloon & payload?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

05/09/2017 5:31 PM

Yes to both

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

05/10/2017 3:06 PM

I hope that payload is equipped with a good 'chute. That's a lot of gear to be falling out of the sky when the balloon bursts - and they're planning to deploy thousands of these?

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #17

05/10/2017 3:56 PM

It's for very rural area communication. What are the odds it lands on something critical.

(Just kidding my friends.)

In reply to #18

05/10/2017 5:14 PM

Machu Picchu isn't critical? Who wudda thunk it.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #20

05/10/2017 9:40 PM

How much more ruined can a five century old ruin get from the dropped payload of an errant communication balloon? The stones of that ruin settle back to their place after every earthquake, what would a little impact do but startle a few tourists.

In reply to #20

05/11/2017 9:09 AM

I doubt anything dropping from a balloon, or the entire thing that lands on Machu Picchu is going to hurt the stones. Now if, for example some of the gentlemen here were to be playing basketball, and fell, banging their head on the gymnasium floor, we would have to pull up a considerable number of maple boards, and make repairs.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
In reply to #20

05/12/2017 10:54 AM

"

Witness: Striker was the squadron leader. He brought us in real low. But he couldn't handle it.
Prosecutor: Buddy couldn't handle it. Was Buddy one of your crew?
Witness: Right. Buddy was the bombardier. But it was Striker who couldn't handle it, and he went to pieces.
Prosecutor: Andy went to pieces?
Witness: No. Andy was the navigator. He was all right. Buddy went to pieces. It was awful how he came unglued.
Prosecutor: Howie came unglued?
Witness: Oh, no. Howie was a rock, the best tailgunner in the outfit. Buddy came unglued.
Prosecutor: And he bailed out?
Witness: No. Andy hung tough. Buddy bailed out. How he survived, it was a miracle.
Prosecutor: Then Howie survived?
Witness: No, 'fraid not. We lost Howie the next day.
Prosecutor: Over Macho Grande?
Witness: No. I don't think I'll ever get over Macho Grande. Those wounds run...pretty deep.

"

Sorry, that scene jumps into my head whenever Machu Picchu gets mentioned.

I guess some of the voices in my head are sillier than others.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Guru

In reply to #37

05/12/2017 11:01 AM

So then you admit to listening to the voices in your head, and answering them on occasion? I am breaking up over it!

In reply to #38

05/12/2017 11:20 AM

I've never denied it.

When I was young I thought, based on the education I was receiving, that they were angels and devils whispering in my ear to influence me.

When I got older, I realized that all the voices were actually 'me,' just my own stray thoughts and random urges, rising out of my subconscious to be evaluated by my conscious mind, and most left to sink back down without acting on them.

Guru

In reply to #17

05/10/2017 4:01 PM

With that payload, who's to say the balloon is going high enough to burst?

They could give it just enough helium to let it 'bob on the waves' between two thermal layers of air, and as the helium slowly escapes (as it always does, there is no gasket made that can hold back H or He forever), the balloon slowly descends back to Earth.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #19

05/10/2017 5:54 PM

Balloons can burst for any number of reasons and so they must prepare for this.

These balloons are intended to fly for long durations at altitudes where there is considerably less atmosphere to block the Sun's UV. UV is hell on plastics, even at sea level.

Plastics become weak and brittle after long exposure to UV and these balloons will eventually burst. The probability of a given number of balloons bursting increases with the number deployed, and here they're speaking of deploying thousands, so the question remains: what sort of 'chute will they employ for this inevitability and will it be enough?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #21

05/11/2017 9:15 AM

OK, but the parachute might add 0.5% to the total payload weight?

How about we offer better materials for engineering to the balloons last even longer in the first place, also? Granted that one can only do so much with black UV shielded plastic, and if the balloons travel high enough to be exposed to a higher residual ozone (as a result of the usual photo-chemical atmospheric reactions), the UV shield won't help so much.

Metallic hydrogen foil would be great, but so far, we have not heard back from the metallic hydrogen researchers that recently claimed first observation directly of metallic hydrogen, no report of what happened upon pressure release.

Question is, if you could make rolls of metallic hydrogen foil (MHF), would it be able to prevent permeation of hydrogen gas? Would hydrogen gas actually represent a corrosive agent to MHF? Would ozone instantly set the foils on fire? Lots more questions on top of the general stability one.

In reply to #24

05/11/2017 11:25 AM

Wiki has a nice write-up on Project Loon.

As they fly between 18-25 km altitude, this puts them smack in the middle of the ozone layer. Probably not a good place for MH unless you passivated it somehow, maybe with top coat of something inert. As a balloon material it would have about 3/4 the density of LLDPE (0.7 g/cm3 vs 0.917 g/cm3), what they currently use for high-altitude-balloon envelopes.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #25

05/11/2017 12:24 PM

Putting ozone and metallic hydrogen in contact with each other sounds like an idea that is all wet to me.

In reply to #26

05/11/2017 12:30 PM

Yeah it would be pretty reactive stuff. Did you read that pdf? MH would make great rocket fuel.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #28

05/11/2017 12:59 PM

I'm not so sure MH could actually become a very good rocket fuel. The energy release from a chemical reaction with MH would certainly be significant but the containment vessel and temperature insulation required to carry MH may make it prohibitive.

In reply to #29

05/11/2017 1:06 PM

Yes, they discuss that briefly in the paper, fuel 'dilution' being one potential alternative. Another alternative they did not discuss is an expendable, ablative combustion-chamber lining.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #29

05/11/2017 2:32 PM

The idea for having MH fuel, was that if they can have MH at all at atmospheric or even no pressure, at room temperature, then all they would have to do is shape it (carefully).

Containment would be no different than for most other rockets that have solid fuel.

In reply to #26

05/11/2017 2:30 PM

Yes, at least the end result would be.

In reply to #25

05/11/2017 12:25 PM

Supposedly, the Creator, placed a firmation in the heavens that (as I was instructed in one of my Bible classes about Genesis),

was metallic hydrogen, so thin that it changed the color of light getting to the surface, and we had a magenta sky in the first days of the Bible.

Apparently, this firmament was not destroyed by man, but by the general wickedness of man, when the Creator was forced to take action

(after lamenting that man had ever been created), whereupon the heavens and the earth were smitten by the hand of the Creator,

the water above the firmament began to rain down (start of Noah's flood), and the chamber of the deep that held the irrigation water

that came up as mists and springs from the earth were broken up also, forcing jets of high velocity water to the edges of space (also affecting

the destruction of the firmament. In other words, no boat, you better be able to swim 40 days, 40 nights.

I was not there to confirm any of this, in spite of reports to the contrary.

In reply to #27

05/12/2017 11:01 AM

"(after lamenting that man had ever been created)"

There's a BIG logic bomb hiding in that statement.

Lamenting a decision or choice means admitting that what was chosen was a mistake.

Mistakes are not possible for an Omniscient (sees all, including the future results of all potential choices) and Omnipotent (can do anything, cannot be 'forced' into making a 'bad choice') being.

I guess they hoped that the kids in Sunday School didn't notice that, realizing such a logic bomb at such a tender age in development could shatter the worldview being built in the child's mind.

Guru

In reply to #39

05/12/2017 11:09 AM

Hey buddy, last time I checked it was not God that made the mistake, it was man's choice to take the original (first) sin (rebellion against the Word of God). When Eve offered Adam the forbidden fruit, and he did partake, that was the beginning of the end of first go-round for mankind. And right out of the starting chute, too.

Free will choices have consequences, as we all know.

It is not a logic bomb at all, as you suppose.

God also saw something worth redeeming in mankind, and has continued all down through History, with mercy after mercy being shed toward mankind, like a father calling an errant son back home.

In reply to #40

05/12/2017 11:30 AM

Perhaps the confusion is from the vocabulary chosen, as one does not often lament a decision made by another.

Or the whole section could be suffering from the "lies to children" effect due to oversimplifying the complex concepts for younger minds. We seldom, if ever, tell the children, "What I am saying is a lie, but it is a lie you can understand today. The truth is too complex for you fight now, so I need to wait until you're older to tell you the whole story."

The problem is when we look at the 'stories for the young' when we are 'too old' for them; we see the things that don't make sense based on what we know now. It is like watching an old favorite movie and seeing all the plot holes, or looking at the bad special effects we used to be astounded by. (Mighty Joe Young comes to mind, the stop-motion was breathtaking and cutting edge back in its day, but today, when I watch it, all I can see is the wildly jumping fur on the model as the hands posing it kept pushing the hair in random directions between frames.)

Guru

In reply to #42

05/12/2017 11:41 AM

Your response reminds me of an old joke. Everyone would miss the punch line every time, while the speaker waved one arm in the air off in another direction. You, sir, are the master of misdirection. You should have trained as a person skilled in the arts of prestidigitation.

05/11/2017 7:23 PM

They are going to launch tonite. There is no wind. Hasn't been all day. C band? My radio stops at 3 GHz

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #33

05/11/2017 7:49 PM

One of their frequencies is 2.4 GHz (S-band), another is 5.8 GHz (C-band).

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #33

05/12/2017 9:15 AM

yeah, just above your radio. Ku band is a higher frequency, shorter wave radio band, and hence is scattered by clouds much much more.

05/11/2017 10:36 PM

Chicken Little has a screen around it. I can only see a partial on the balloon. Hard to tell how full. 10:35 AST same as EDST

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 43 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (6); Andrew Westman (10); James Stewart (12); JWthetech (6); redfred (5); SolarEagle (2); Usbport (2)

Previous in Forum: Soldering Techniques For Tiny Chips to Tiny Boards   Next in Forum: AI Neural Network's Names for New Paint Colors

Advertisement