Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Energy Engineering Vs. Chemical Engineering in 2017

05/11/2017 4:17 AM

Greetings,

I am an undergraduate student transferring out of community college. I have been accepted to UC San Diego - major: Chemical Engineering (abet accredited) and UC Berkeley- major: Engineering Science; Energy Engineering (Non-abet accredited). I am trying to pick between these two schools. Both programs are challenging. The chem e program allows you to take electives in an area of concentration: nano, bio eng, or materials. The energy program however would have me taking electrical, mechanical, some civil, and CS, and you get a lot more freedom to chose the classes and electives. It is very interdisciplinary, and requires you work on an original project senior year. It has structure, but the major would not fit into any traditional engineering major.

My concerns are being able to get a job post graduation. I am interested in research, but I also want to have options and not be limited to industry or academia. Would either of these degrees create any constraints? I find them both very interesting. Seeking advice from professionals and academics. Thank you.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 683

Re: Energy Engineering vs Chemical Engineering in 2017

05/11/2017 5:07 AM

A job exists because the potential employer has a serious business problem to solve. An interview takes place when a potential employer sees something in the application that says the candidate is worth interviewing.

On that basis the answer to the question <...Would either of these degrees create any constraints?...> is no.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 620

05/11/2017 6:29 AM

far more important is to do what excites your interest.
Any interviewer worth his salt will value the candidate who has enthusiasm as well as the predictable qualifications.
Del

Good Answers: 997

05/11/2017 11:47 AM
Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 7

05/11/2017 12:40 PM

Years ago my younger brother told me that he went to CSU SD to find that it was so crowded that he had to start by taking each of his 5 general ed. classes at 5 separate local community colleges, in order to get all five of the classes of his schedule in order to complete that one semester...

It's reported to be much more crowded, now... He now works in the IT industry...

Which ever you chose, be prepared for similar challenges, as Chemical Engineering may require a Masters to become employable in a declining job market...

Many Chem Eng bachelor-degree graduates find work in investment-related positions because higher-level math coursework is in shorter supply more there than in Chem Eng positions...

Dolph (Drago) Lungren graduated from MIT in Chem Eng, but doesn't bother to work in that field...

Have you actually made an extended visit to both campuses yet ? ...

In reply to #4

05/11/2017 1:04 PM

I have visited UCB and will be visiting UCSD soon. I heard the same about the CSU system in that people often have to take up second majors because they can't get the classes they need due to classes being impacted. I think I will have no problem at UCB or UCSD when it comes to this type of problem. This is also part of the reason I decided not to go to a CSU. Please explain what you mean when you say that the chemical engineering job market is declining. Is it due to petrochemical companies eventually phasing out?

Dolph Lungren actually got a scholarship to do research at MIT. Once he checked education off his list by obtaining degrees from other schools, he went on down the check list to fulfill other passions. Chem e or Energy wont be the end all be all, but I can't help but feel that this will somehow make a huge impact on my life. Ive had enough fallbacks where Ive learned to plan and prepare as much as you can.

Guru

In reply to #5

05/11/2017 1:29 PM

Bottom Line, previous life-choices will have a significant impact on future life-choices...

Like the (ancient crusader) said, ''Choose wisely...'', while you still can...

In any case, good luck...

In reply to #4

05/12/2017 3:43 PM

I stand corrected. He reportedly got a BS at the RIT in Stockholm, and an MS in Chem Eng at U of Sydney, and a Fulbright Scholarship to MIT, but left after less than a month to try acting, which has worked out for him better than most...

Good Answers: 122

05/12/2017 3:21 PM

My advice: Go multi-disciplinary! It will make you into an industry super-star.

In reply to #7

05/12/2017 3:33 PM

Despite the lack of abet accred?

Guru

Good Answers: 122
In reply to #8

05/12/2017 3:42 PM

If certificates is all you want, you can order them from the newspaper. If you want to learn how to learn how to learn, go multidisciplinary, and grow in grace and knowledge, until the day you are confirmed, affirmed, and suitable for appointment to your destination.

No BBQ leaves the pit, until it is Certified Smokified!

Good Answers: 101
In reply to #8

05/12/2017 4:06 PM

A degree is a union card. It lets you in the door but where you go from there is up to you. One of the best software engineers I've ever known was trained as a neurosurgeon, mainly because his family pushed him that direction, but he couldn't bring himself to wield a scalpel on live subjects, so he pursued his true calling instead - and was very, very good at it.

"When love and skill combine, expect a masterpiece"

~John Ruskin

Reply to Forum Thread 11 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andrew Westman (1); carboanion (2); Del the cat (1); James Stewart (2); MR. Guest (3); PWSlack (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Universities Vs. Colleges Vs. Institutes  

Advertisement