CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Fun Project Help!   Next in Forum: Popcorn Tree
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 11

20th Anniversary of Deep Blue Vs. Kasparov

05/11/2017 8:50 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Blue_versus_Garry_Kasparov

http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/ibm100/us/en/icons/deepblue/

When I first started working at IBM Research, I asked if Deep Blue was sitting around somewhere and was told that it had probably been taken apart and the pieces used in other machines. Seems sorta disrespectful, if that's true.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 155

Re: 20th Anniversary of Deep Blue vs Kasparov

05/11/2017 11:19 AM

" Seems sorta disrespectful, if that's true."

Ashes to ashes,

Dust to dust.

We fertilize the soil,

Or we become rust.

Signed A. I, Newworld

Good Answers: 1104

05/11/2017 11:27 AM

Found this...2010

...."Deep Blue is split up into 2 parts: 1 part in IBM headquarters and 1 part in a museum in Washington DC."...

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/deep-blue-soon-no-longer-shut-down

http://ia-tpe.over-blog.com/article-l-evolution-des-capacites-materielles-de-l-epoque-67998679.html

..."During a recent visit in California we found Deep Blue, in the Computer History Museum in Mountain View. There is a section called " Mastering the Game – A History of Computer Chess" which, as the blurb tells us, "explores computing history's five-decade-long quest to build a computer that could challenge the best human chess players. Learn the basics of designing computer chess software, listen to computer chess pioneers and watch dramatic footage from the 1997 match between IBM's Deep Blue and World Chess Champion Garry Kasparov.""...

http://en.chessbase.com/post/che-metaphors-artificial-intelligence-and-the-human-mind

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 748

05/12/2017 12:01 AM

Player one: P-QN3 (old notation); or b3 (new notation).

Deep Blue: Resign.

Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Time to take control United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 83
In reply to #3

05/12/2017 8:38 AM

I much prefer (and miss) the older notation.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 148
In reply to #3

05/12/2017 11:48 AM

What? Kasparov was going for the Fool's Mate?

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 771

05/15/2017 9:59 AM

I was at game one of the second match held in NYC. It was an event only a programmer or chess playing geek would love. I did.

I remember reading (Chess Life?) an interview Garry had many months after the second match. In that interview Garry stated the key thing that got to him in the fateful second game of the second match and afterwards was that he was startled that Deep Blue came up with the the only move that would allow play to continue and that that move was contrary to his understanding to how the computer had been programmed. Prior to the first series Garry, and other master and above chess players, had consulted with the programmers of Deep Blue. When the machine did not fall for the trap he set some of his analysis capacity was distracted inadvertently trying to figure out the program change instead of only playing the game(s) in front of him. In that same article he also freely admitted that silicon based programs would now regularly exceed human chess players at all levels.

A recent Chess Life article has contradicted Garry's conclusion that the strongest chess player is a computer program. The strongest chess player is a team of grand master level human and a computer program. If I find that article when I get home I'll add some quotes later.

Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Time to take control United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 83
In reply to #6

05/15/2017 4:30 PM

I've always thought that human vs. Deep Blue was not really fair, as the human was really playing against all the past and present masters (even himself/herself) plus the computer programming team.

Mankind has somewhat physical limits regarding memory (some individuals have more memory than others, some have faster memory access speed than others), as to computers, but with computers memory can be added. The same goes for processing capacity.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

James Stewart (1); JBTardis (2); Kilowatt0 (1); redfred (1); SolarEagle (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Fun Project Help!   Next in Forum: Popcorn Tree

Advertisement