CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Leaked NSA Tools Used in Global Cyberattack   Next in Forum: Dacromet
Close
Close
Close
45 comments
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 8

2004 Malibu Hunts for Correct Gear

05/12/2017 10:25 PM

I have a 2004 Malibu.

When cruising along even without going up a hill or anything it seems to try to look for a better gear off and on.

What to look for?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 115

Re: 2004 Malibu Hunts for correct gear

05/12/2017 10:48 PM

Have you checked the transmission fluid? Is it low?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #1

05/13/2017 8:48 AM

That will be the next step, but GM in their infinite wisdom and the need to save a buck, makes that not a simple task now. No dip stick.

You gotta get the car level and then go under the car and remove a plug and see if fluid comes out. you fll it till it does then it's full

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

05/13/2017 8:58 AM

No tranny dipstick? Seriously? No bluddy wonder I don't drive GM cars.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #5

05/13/2017 9:30 AM

Yup the first time I went to check before a long trip I looked and looked and looked, and finally called the local dealer and taked to the service shop and asked where it was hidden. He laughed and said it's as described.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

05/13/2017 9:43 AM

Who the hell at GM thought that was a good idea?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

05/13/2017 10:42 AM

I just hope the tranny doesn't develop a leak line may of my younger years old cars did, where monthly ya had to add some cuz it's below the dip stick agaijn. Monthly checking now would be an ultimate pain!

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 174
In reply to #7

05/13/2017 2:13 PM

My ex wife's 2000 Cavalier had no tranny dipstick, but it had a dipstick installed in the drivers seat. Just ask the deer she hit doing 75mph on a 45mph road, in the dark while it was raining..

Cavalier posts have gone down but I have seen more Malibu's post lately....

Chevy Malibu, the new Cavalier.

In reply to #16

05/13/2017 3:39 PM

Lol!

Speaking of the Devilier, the OP might also check the car's computer settings; specifically Bit 13 in the Performance & Reliabilty Configuration Register. If set to 1 it has slipped into Cavalier Emulation Mode.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

In reply to #17

05/13/2017 3:52 PM

You are probably right, I was more concerned where the dipsticks are installed. On that particular 2000 Cavalier it was installed in the drivers seat, now she has a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am, and what do you know, the dipstick is again installed in the drivers seat. It has ram air, and more power then the Cavalier which had the Z24 2.4 liter (stupid quick for a small car.) I recently got a State of Michigan drivers responsibility fee in the mail for speeding (on her), I quickly attached divorce papers, and address change, and sent it back. She is pissed at me for it, $500 over 2 years... You have a new boyfriend, let him pay it. I paid the last 2.

In reply to #18

05/14/2017 6:44 AM

Yes. Him of the dipstick privileges.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 685
In reply to #16

05/15/2017 12:48 PM

That's a very high speed for a deer to be running.

In reply to #32

05/15/2017 5:55 PM

If the dipstick wasn't going that fast, the deer may have gone through her windshield. A 2000 cavalier has a very low front end, She hit it so hard as to bend the front sub frame close to 20 degrees, pushed the hood to the cowl, remove the passenger side fender and tire, brake, control arm, strut and other suspension components. It left a perfect butt and head imprint in the hood. A witness said the only thing they saw was a deer about 30 feet in the air traveling a good 100 feet. 45 minutes after the accident I was out there looking for the deer with my buck knife. Many foot prints, blood in the grass, no deer. Ex asked what am I going to do about her car..... I dragged it to her shop, Takata in Armada, MI. She bitched now what, I said we divorced 8 months ago because you had a boy friend, you figure it out, I only wanted the deer.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 194
In reply to #36

05/16/2017 12:39 AM

I work part time as a bus driver for handicapped people and one of my colleagues had a "deer" experience a few months ago.

(Maybe your ex (?) wife was driving through Germany?)

He was driving through a forest section on a relatively slow (50KMH) stretch of road, (slow because of possible wild animals), when a speeding maniac came in the opposite direction, driving far too fast, maybe twice the limit.

It was a VW Passat, which hit a deer, (killing it stone cold dead), and sending it directly at the bus my colleague was driving.

He ducked, but it actually cleared his bus by a small margin of "over" flying, and eventually landed a good distance behind him, in a ditch.

The Passat was considerably damaged, though I don't know the actual repair costs.

....as were the underpants of my colleague!! But repairs were probably of a considerably lower cost!!!

In reply to #38

05/17/2017 11:43 AM

Of course, the Cavalier was totaled, as was the deer, unfortunately for me, someone else found the deer first.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #40

05/17/2017 4:26 PM

So instead of saying "Oh dear!", you might have said "Oh no deer!" (What have you done dear?)

In reply to #41

05/17/2017 4:33 PM

Exactly what I said, where is the deer? At that point the was no "Dear", we had been divorced for about 8 months. She is the mother of my kids, I was glad she was ok, but I wanted some damn bambi!

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
In reply to #36

05/17/2017 8:53 AM

Oh, dear.

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #7

05/14/2017 12:54 AM

The same people at Toyota who thought it was a good idea too.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1007

05/13/2017 12:10 AM

Sounds like you need to change the transmission fluid....or your linkage maybe is out of position...that car may have been part of this recall....I would also check for OBD II trouble codes, in case any relays or solenoids are failing....check fuses under dash...

https://www.cars.com/articles/2014/05/recall-alert-2004-2008-chevrolet-malibu-and-2005-2008-pontiac-g6-/

http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/57-do-yourself-maintenance-generations-5-6/11056-transmission-fluid-change-opinions.html

In reply to #2

05/13/2017 8:43 AM

Nope on the shift cable, We had that done several years ago when that recall came out.

This is weird, we can be cruising along, even in cruise control mode, say at 60 Mph, on level ground, and it will downshift into 3rd for some reason stay, there for a few seconds and then shift back up.

I can understand this if I started going up a large hill or similar, that would make sense, but on flat level road. out of the blue shifting, is like Huh?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 501

Re: 2004 Malibu Hunts for Correct Gear

05/13/2017 10:43 AM

Parking brake on?

Guru

Good Answers: 1007
In reply to #9

05/18/2017 5:22 PM

Haha,,, check brake temperatures...maybe shoes are dragging....?

Good Answers: 151

05/13/2017 10:49 AM

Check out this link. My guess would be a bad vacuum modulator, or the hoses going to it.

"Governor, Vacuum Modulator, Throttle Cable

These three components are important in the non-computerized transmissions. They provide the inputs that tell the transmission when to shift."

In reply to #10

05/13/2017 11:06 AM

Problem with that answer in that link is nothing is changing, load or throttle position, flat level ground, and constant speed.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 151
In reply to #11

05/13/2017 11:09 AM

If a vacuum modulator has a vacuum hose connected to it (WHICH IT DOES BY DEFINITION!), then even the normal vibration of the engine can cause a small crack in that hose to suddenly leak. Think about it.

In reply to #11

05/13/2017 11:53 AM

Nothing should be changing under these conditions, but something is changing, else it wouldn't be shifting, no? Check that vacuum hose. It's 13 years old. They don't last forever. If it's not that, check the next thing. When was the last time the tranny fluid was replaced? You said it was taken in for recall service. Don't assume they did it correctly. We took my ex's car in for recall service. A transmission cooler. They screwed it up and my ex's tranny burned up on a cross-country trip.

Guru

In reply to #13

05/13/2017 12:01 PM

Will do all the above. hose first

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 501
In reply to #13

05/13/2017 1:21 PM

Yup, lots of times problems are due to causes which have been eliminated because they "couldn't be".

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 409

05/13/2017 5:22 PM

There's a torque converter lock-up solenoid that engages a clutch that provides the 4th or overdrive. When the wiring to the solenoid goes bad, loose, corroded, etc. the clutch will disengage/engage, you'll also notice the tach rise and fall as this occurs. If you're lucky it will be electrical, so find the connector and check the wiring back to the ECM, tightening every ground connection as you go.

If you're unlucky, the clutch band is worn and/or there's a mechanical problem inside the tranny that's preventing a full application of the clutch. An OBD-II code reader may help you determine where to look for the problem. All this assumes that you've topped off the tranny fluid, low fluid level is the major cause of shifting problems. btw- how many miles on it?

In reply to #19

05/13/2017 5:53 PM

about 23 K more and I could have driven to the Moon.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 409
In reply to #20

05/13/2017 7:07 PM

I had the same problem at half that distance.

05/14/2017 1:25 AM

I went to Google.

2004 Chevy Malibu recall.

Checked list.

A common theme for these issues you describe is when the car is operated in cruise control.

I would follow Solar Eagles advice and first check for active and stored DTC codes.

In the diagnosis of this issue:

Get a audio recording device to make notes, such as:

Occurs when in cruise control, yes, no.

Occurs at exactly what speed.

Occurs under load / no load.

Day / night.

Ambient temperature.

Engine cold / engine hot.

Always occurs / intermittent.

Etc.

Good luck.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #23

05/14/2017 10:19 AM

I went to Google.

2004 Chevy Malibu recall.

Checked list.

A common theme for these issues you describe is when the car is operated in cruise control.

More noticeable while in Cruise control, but also does it when in regular mode.

I would follow Solar Eagles advice and first check for active and stored DTC codes.

No codes except for one that it has had for years and did not do this shifting thing, is one of the vapor emmisive whatever ya call it, is there,(Like gas cap is loose error code) but one of the lines associated with the tank has a pin hole in it someplace. But that has been for years, and this shifting thing has started only in the last few months.

In the diagnosis of this issue:

Get a audio recording device to make notes, such as:

Occurs when in cruise control, yes, no.

Yes, as stated above, more noticeable, while in cruise, but also happens when foot controls speed.

Occurs at exactly what speed.

Mainly around the worst possible speed 60, + or - say 10

Occurs under load / no load.

Both

Day / night.

Anytime

Ambient temperature.

Year round, 40 below zero to 100 above

Engine cold / engine hot.

doesn't seem to matter

Always occurs / intermittent.

Always

Etc.

Good luck

Register to Reply
Guru

05/14/2017 5:10 AM

It is possible, that on a 2004 vehicle, that a firmware update might be needed too....

In reply to #24

05/14/2017 10:20 AM

How would that be done? Dealer I assume?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #27

05/14/2017 10:46 AM

Generally speaking, I would say yes, but I live in a country where such things are fully and legally done by trained mechanics, that do not work for the manufacturer.

The law was changed some 15 years ago, to prevent manufacturers ONLY allowing themselves to do the work "legally"!!

How it is where you live, I can only guess.

But often a search online, turns up some fun stuff!!

05/15/2017 3:00 AM

A scrapyard?

Good Answers: 4

05/15/2017 8:46 AM

It could be firmware in the ECU, as software ages some of the ones wear down and slip into zeros...

J/K, the transmission shifting is controlled by a control module, so monitoring with top-6-automotive-diagnostic-software and watching the right parameters would be the way to get to the cause

In reply to #30

05/15/2017 10:07 AM

Like it!!

In reply to #30

05/15/2017 3:42 PM

The main control module would be the Body Control Module. Even though your car only shows one code ( which it has for years ) ( and it hasn't been fixed yet ) now you have a new issue ( or the newest issue ).

The service technician would need to go over all of the different sensors and solenoid valves in your transmission that may contain all of these :

VSS, TCC, TFP, ISS. 1-2 Shift solenoid, 2-3 shift solenoid valve, PC solenoid, 3-2 shift solenoid valve, TCC PWM.

Then you have the power train control module.

Let's say you hook up the scan tool and get a 2-3 shift error. This parameter displays the difference between the desired 2-3 shift time and the actual 2-3 shift time. A positive number indicates a firm or fast shift, the actual shift time was shorter than the desired shift time. A negative number would indicate a slow or soft shift.

As for the DTC's . They are categorized 4 ways :

Type A, B, C, X.

Type A & B, are emissions related. Didn't you say something about a code that you've had for some time now ?

As for possible causes :

Oil pump / stator shaft bushings scored or off location

Valve body assembly / 2-3 shift valve train stuck, gaskets or spacer plate incorrect, mispositioned or damaged, 2-3 accumulator valve stuck, face not flat, chips in servo feed oil, mislocated valve body to spacer plate check all of check balls.

Input housing assembly / 3-4 clutch plates - forward clutch plates worn, excessive clutch plate travel, cut or damaged 3-4 clutch or forward clutch piston seals, porosity in input clutch housing or piston, 3-4 clutch piston check ball stuck - damaged or not sealing, restricted apply passages, forward clutch piston retainer and ball assembly not seating, sealing balls loose or missing, input housing cracked or broken.

Case / 3rd accumulator retainer and ball assembly not seating.

2-4 servo assembly / 2nd apply piston seals missing - cut - damaged.

Good luck.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #33

05/15/2017 4:33 PM

the only error is the one that has to seem like a loose gas cap

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #34

05/15/2017 5:50 PM

We'll then, tighten that gas cap,, problem fixed !

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #35

05/15/2017 7:17 PM

he he he except it isn't the cap, it's a leak in one of thise lines. he he he so the tank can't buld up the pressure/vacuum it wants.

Register to Reply
Guru

05/19/2017 2:30 AM

The problem is that CR4 is full of Engineers.

There are plenty of sites elsewhere populated by Automotive Mechanics.

Anonymous Poster #1

05/19/2017 8:04 AM

Maybe its wardrobe is too big.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 45 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andrew Westman (5); Andy Germany (5); Anonymous Poster (1); JPool (5); Kilowatt0 (2); MikeMack747 (1); NSS (11); PWSlack (4); RAMConsult (2); Rixter (2); SolarEagle (2); Stuart21 (1); tonyhemet (4)

Previous in Forum: Leaked NSA Tools Used in Global Cyberattack   Next in Forum: Dacromet

Advertisement