CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: The Questions about ELC-08D3R3E Fixed Inductor   Next in Forum: Manufacturers/Suppliers of Beryllium Copper Drill Bits
Close
Close
Close
15 comments

Newbie - How To Modify Vehicle Charger To Rechargeable USB or DC?

05/16/2017 8:02 PM

Hi. I am new here. And totally new to electrical engineering. Am curious how an object like this -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006SFUD2G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

can be rewired to receive and hold power via battery or other means, via usb or wall outlet dc power supply?

I bought this, but even the vehicle charger it came with is too large to even fit in the vehicles receptacle although some other port power supplied devices fit into the same port fine.

My preference is to be able to charge it and have its power available for ideally at least 4 or more hours of portable use after charging via usb and / or wall outlet.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 588

Re: Newbie - how to modify vehicle charger to rechargeable usb or dc?

05/16/2017 9:00 PM

It can't, I don't believe it has internal batteries. Why not buy what you need?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=jolt+charger

Register to Reply

In reply to #1

05/16/2017 9:05 PM

I am asking in order to learn how to design something like that portable container holster item, but with the rechargeable option via usb and dc.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 771
In reply to #2

05/16/2017 9:26 PM

Start with how many watts it used at what voltage and multiply that by how many hours to get you amp hour equivalent then multiply that number bu 1.5 to get the battery Amp Hour value you would need.

Beyond That it 's just a matter of selecting what type of battery you want and what sort of charging circuit it would need for whatever input power source you have.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1140

05/16/2017 9:58 PM

I have one of these, great for any portable 12 volt dc application....I use it for powering portable air compressor and jumping....those 12v receptacles are universal but some are a really tight fit, so the first few times you have to really twist and push hard to get it to seat.....I use one of these as an adapter...

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #4

05/17/2017 12:19 PM

The one of "these" I have weighs all of a pound, surely less than two pounds and will start my wife's dead Toyota every time. The cigarette lighter plug on it works too, for those who might be paying attention.

05/16/2017 11:27 PM

Thank you. I should clarify that by portable, I mean can wear it one ones belt. Or in a strap around ones waist, as a holster that has an electrical warming element in it. So the large portable charger linked to will not work for my needs for this thing I am working on.

Register to Reply

In reply to #5

05/17/2017 12:57 AM

I am trying to figure out how to make a heating pad about the same dimensions as that item-

https://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Travel-Baby-Bottle-Warmer/dp/B006SFUD2G/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

- i linked to. That can be charged via usb and dc, then worn and used to heat containers more reliably than that one for a minimum of 4 hours per charge. Ideally longer. That does not need to be plugged in to heat whatever container it wraps around and holds. Need not be super hot, just enough to quickly, safely and reliably heat things like congealed oils, butters, etc..

As of yet, being totally new to electronics, I don't yet even know where to start for suppliers of parts, how to organize and make it safely. Advice is welcome.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1140
In reply to #6

05/17/2017 2:09 AM

Heat takes a lot of juice, in fact it's one of the most power hungry uses of electricity....Anything small enough to fit on a belt would not be big enough to supply any significant amount of heat for a usable amount of time...You could however use chemical heat packs, that are reusable to perform this function....

Good Answers: 588
In reply to #6

05/18/2017 7:11 PM

I've found a few apps that drain the battery fast enough to warm up my smartphone.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Re: Newbie - How To Modify Vehicle Charger To Rechargeable USB or DC?

05/17/2017 9:40 AM

Some cars used to have these things called "electric cigarette lighter socket" that is what this is supposed to plug into.

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #8

05/17/2017 10:23 AM

Can you make a tattoo out of those, cool.

Register to Reply

In reply to #8

05/17/2017 12:00 PM

Yes, of course I know that. If you had taken a second and paid attention to what I wrote, and reclarified a second time for those who like yourself are more invested in making ignorant snark comments rather than paying attention and respectfully relevent replying, you would have recognized that I clearly stated that what I purchased does not fit into that receptacle socket. It is a common problem with that particular item, apparently based in others feedback who purchased it.

And that for the design I want to modify it to, I prefer to make a USB and DC rechargeable version. ..

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

05/17/2017 12:22 PM

Then why did you buy the thing in the first place, Mr. Know it all?

<unsubscribes>

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 197

05/18/2017 2:18 AM

You need to know, as already pointed out, how much power is needed, oviously at 12 volts.

There are power supplies to simulate a cars power......

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 197
In reply to #13

05/18/2017 2:33 AM

Like here:-

12+volt+mains+power+supply+with+12+volt+car+power+socket.

Buy one!!

Just match the power/current needed or even a touch more for safety!!

Understood.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (2); gutmonarch (1); insightinvention (4); James Stewart (3); Rixter (2); SolarEagle (2); tcmtech (1)

Previous in Forum: The Questions about ELC-08D3R3E Fixed Inductor   Next in Forum: Manufacturers/Suppliers of Beryllium Copper Drill Bits

Advertisement