CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Earthing   Next in Forum: Carbon Formation at Contactor Point
Close
Close
Close
19 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Confused Student?

05/17/2017 12:17 PM

If my teacher says a 10 amp 3 phase load does that mean there i 3.333A going through each wire?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Canada - Member - If there is a way to screw someting up, there is someone to do so! Safety - Hazmat - New Member

Good Answers: 134

Re: confused student?

05/17/2017 12:58 PM

No... it means that each leg of the 3 phase supply is flowing 10 amps of current.

Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Old Member, New Association

Good Answers: 71
In reply to #1

05/17/2017 1:01 PM

Well, yes.... but there is a little more to it.....

Canada - Member - If there is a way to screw someting up, there is someone to do so! Safety - Hazmat - New Member

In reply to #2

05/17/2017 1:08 PM

Really? Like what?

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #1

05/17/2017 1:02 PM

So that means the supply would have to be rated for 30 amps?

That does not sound correct

Guru

In reply to #3

05/17/2017 1:09 PM

No it does not. It means the supply must be rated for a minimum of 10 amps, 3 phase.

You are confusing a single phase source and a three phase one.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 685
In reply to #3

05/17/2017 4:06 PM

One cannot say, because the cabling design is not to hand.

In reply to #3

05/17/2017 4:30 PM

Let me ask you this, why would you think the source would have to be rated for 30 amps?

Good Answers: 28

Re: Confused Student?

05/17/2017 1:44 PM

I think the word "load" it is not so clear. The current is 10 A on each line but the power [=load] is sqrt(3)*VLL*10A. VLL=line-to-line[phase-to-phase] voltage. If you use VLN=line-to-neutral voltage the power will be 3*VLN*10. However, the result it is not W [or kW or HP] but VA [volt ampere].If-let's say-it is an induction motor supply, for instance, you need to know the power factor and the efficiency in order to get kW and to divide by 0.746 [or 0.736 in IEC World] in order to get HP.

In reply to #6

05/17/2017 1:47 PM

LOL... I am willing to bet our OP is now even more confused.

Good Answers: 126
In reply to #7

05/17/2017 3:15 PM

I am on your side of the table when that money gets laid down.

Good Answers: 126

05/17/2017 3:14 PM

No, it does not mean that, go back and actually read the book, then do your own homework this time.

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #8

05/17/2017 4:08 PM

ADMIN: Deleted Post

Vulgar/Rude/Improper Behavior: This post was deleted because it did not adhere to the behavioral policies of the site. Please review Section 14 of the CR4 Site FAQ and the Rules of Conduct.

Guru

Good Answers: 1008

05/17/2017 4:00 PM

Maybe easier to just go with watts....

Calculation with line to line voltage

The power P in watts (W) is equal to square root of 3 times the power factor PF times the phase current I in amps (A), times the line to line RMS voltage VL-L in volts (V):

P(W) = 3 × PF × I(A) × VL-L(V)

Calculation with line to neutral voltage

The power P in watts (W) is equal to 3 times the power factor PF times the phase current I in amps (A), times the line to neutral RMS voltage VL-N in volts (V):

P(W) = 3 × PF × I(A) × VL-N(V)

http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/Amp_to_Watt_Calculator.htm

Haha,, yes 10 amps per leg....

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.

05/17/2017 4:05 PM

One could ask the teacher, of course...

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #11

05/17/2017 4:06 PM

actually you cant because he refuses to answer questions

Thanks for assuming you know everything about my school though

Guru

In reply to #13

05/17/2017 4:09 PM

Nothing is known about the school unless it is posted here. How is the forum supposed to know that the teacher won't answer questions (rhetorical question - NNTR)? After all, it is impossible to convey that information within a one-sentence posting.

Some teacher!

<unsubscribes>

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #15

05/17/2017 4:16 PM

i wonder if the engineering student thought to ask the teacher before the forum. I wonder.......

He made it all the way to engineering school but never thought once in his life to ask a teacher a question.

There is a rhetorical question

Are you familiar with sarcasm?

Let me introduce you

Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Anonymous Poster #2
In reply to #16

05/17/2017 4:23 PM

Guru

05/17/2017 5:02 PM

Here is something for the OP to chew on.

In a three phase system, you have 3 voltage sources. Those 3 sources are "out of phase" to each other by 120 degrees. So that means the instantaneous voltage value of any phase at a "given" point in time is not the same as the instantaneous voltage level in the other two phases at that same "given" point in time.

When phase A reaches its highest voltage level, the peak voltage on phase B is 120 degrees behind phase A and the peak voltage on phase C is 120 degrees behind phase B.

All of this means that... Power = Volts x Amps.

So, in a single phase system...

120V x 10A means 1200 watts of power.

While in a three phase system...

(120v x 1.73) x 10A =2076 watts of power.

The "1.73" is the value of the square root of 3, which gives us the value that is used as the multiplier to determine the "boost" we get from a 3 phase system to deliver power over a single phase system.

There is another value that enters into these equations called "power factor". Let's ignore that for now.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

7anoter4 (1); Anonymous Poster (4); James Stewart (2); North of 60 (6); NotUrOrdinaryJoe (1); PWSlack (3); Rscott9399 (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Earthing   Next in Forum: Carbon Formation at Contactor Point

Advertisement