CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Cross Bow Information   Next in Forum: Help Find Center Of Gravity of Compound Body
Close
Close
Close
15 comments
Guru
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member

Good Answers: 6

Backup for Ransomware and Other Malware?

05/17/2017 2:08 PM

I have a Netgear AC1750 router. It has a USB port with a 1T HD plugged in. The router does an incremental backup of my PC to the HD every 3 minutes. Will this enable me to recover from a malware attack? Or is it possible for bad guys to corrupt the HD too?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 755

Re: Backup for Ransomware and Other Malware?

05/17/2017 2:52 PM

Yes.

Software has gotten so complicated and convoluted that no plan for piracy nor piracy protection is perfect.

Good Answers: 130

05/17/2017 3:21 PM

Yep, bad news.

You should look into the best Anti-virus and Ransomware protection money can buy, before you have to shell out the real moola.

Guru

Good Answers: 115

05/17/2017 4:22 PM

You may wish to increase the backup interval, depending on how fast your antivirus takes to complete a scan. Mine takes five minutes, more or less, and so if I backed up every three minutes I would no doubt be backing-up malware before it was detected. Then, later, when I did a restore, surprise! Is your antivirus doing a scan before every backup? If it's not, how do you know you're not also backing-up a virus? Nor will you know how many times it appears in your other backups. If so, and as far as you know, you may have accumulated quite a collection.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

Good Answers: 1027

05/17/2017 4:38 PM

Ooops, too late...

Good Answers: 24

05/17/2017 5:52 PM

Use your cell to open emails. It is best to never use the main computer for email. Does anyone have any idea how Amazon handles this?

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 22

05/17/2017 11:28 PM

Yes, of course. they can mess with anything connected to your computer. Your back up should be to an external hard drive which is NOT plugged in when not backing up. This implies less frequent backups that will be protected; you can still use the current backup system, but it is not protected from Ransomware. I use Acronis with a once a month backup--much less than recommended.

Active Contributor

Good Answers: 1

05/18/2017 4:56 AM

Your backups need to be isolated. If you keep the backups connected to your network, a hacker can get into those.

I back up on different devices, every time I make some progress. Regular-interval backups can be wasteful (yes, you want full backups every time, if you can. Not differential backups!)

Also, as obsolete CDs and DVDs are, I still back up on those, so I'm also protected from EMP attacks. Flash drives are susceptible to EMP (even if they are not connected to a computer), but optical discs are not.

I also "double buffer" my drives. I have extra SSDs with operating systems installed. If I get hacked (hasn't happened in almost 20 years), I just swap out the drive and restore my data from the backup.

This hits two birds with one stone:

1) No downtime while reinstalling the OS, in case of an attack (just a quick drive swap and reboot)

2) I have the hacked system's drive available for forensic analysis.

Frequent backups and "double-buffering" hard drives / SSDs, is the best protection against hacking and ransom demands.

If you're hacked, you can just disconnect from the network, swap drives, reboot, grab your backup and give the hackers the finger.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

In reply to #7

05/18/2017 9:22 AM

Surely they deserve a little more than the finger!

I was watching a show last night about criminal tech or something like that, and the biggest majority of counterfeit currency appears to now be coming from North Korea, in the form of so-called "super-bills". They are hard to catch.

The easiest way to stop them from doing it is to turn them into smoking cinders. I am sorry if this offends anyone, but it is undeniably true. Those people (if they still classify as such) listen to no reason.

In reply to #7

05/19/2017 10:35 AM

What about the proprietary system back ups offered by such companies as "Carbonite"?

Is that safe, or can the hackers push their junk even into your Carbonite storage?

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #10

05/19/2017 12:00 PM

Your question is incomplete and thus the answer is an incomplete, yes they can.

I doubt hackers can push active junk most of the time because the good storage companies actively keep their virus and worm protection systems up to date. However, because they have to keep these protections up to date there will be times when a backdoor to your data on these storage systems.

My advice is that every time a hacking outbreak happens and once your protection software company proclaims that they detect or block this threat but not before this one should separately scan your compressed backup data.

Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 22
In reply to #11

05/19/2017 12:57 PM

Sounds like you're speaking of backup storage in the Cloud. I use Acronis for back up onto an external hard drive which is unplugged and stored in another room between uses. The most important word there is "unplugged." If the external hard drive is not connected to your computer, the Ransomware cannot get to it.

In reply to #14

05/19/2017 1:31 PM

I think my practice of scanning before retrieving data is just as important with a powered OFF, disconnected hard drive. The infection might be dormant on the backup.

Good Answers: 751

05/18/2017 7:05 PM

I just keep full clones of my hard drives so that if one or more get infected as did last year I just pull the drive and put the back up in and go again followed by using the new main drive to do a full wipe and reformat of the infected one.

As far as doing backups I tend to keep most of my more critical of convenient things like movies and music on external drives that also have multiple backups that are updated from time to time so that I don't have to worry too much about things.

Mostly I just avoid potential virus sources like emails whose origins I don't recognize and just not going to likely dangerous sites to begin with.

For antivirus I just run whatever windows give for free and do my regular backups from there being I know people who pay a lot for their protection software and they get hit far more often than I do running on free stuff and just not going where I aught not go to begin with.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member

Good Answers: 6

05/19/2017 12:18 PM

I wonder if ransomware and other malware is mostly targeted at Windows? Or do Apple and other OS have the same problems?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1027

05/19/2017 12:21 PM
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andrew Westman (1); gnagy (1); James Stewart (3); JWthetech (1); Lehman57 (2); redfred (3); SolarEagle (2); SSCpal (1); tcmtech (1)

Previous in Forum: Cross Bow Information   Next in Forum: Help Find Center Of Gravity of Compound Body

Advertisement