Close
Close
Close
26 comments
Associate

Good Answers: 1

History or First Use of the Term 'Slave Cylinder'

05/19/2017 3:52 PM

Is anyone familiar with the history and origin of the English term in hydraulics 'Slave Cylinder'? I got curious in part because the term used by Mercedes, at least was not analogous in other languages- translating roughly to 'Taker Cylinder' in German and 'Clutch Receiver' in French and Spanish.

Going through wikipedia, I was thinking one of these guys:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Duesenberg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Loughead
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Franklin_Vicke...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Bramah
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Maudslay

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1129

Re: History or first use of the term 'Slave Cylinder'

05/19/2017 4:01 PM

That term was likely coined well before any cylinders were produced....master or slave

In reply to #1

05/19/2017 4:40 PM

The English Master/Slave usage clearly reflects that thinking, but the German, French and Spanish do not. German uses a Giver/Taker pair, French and Spanish use a Sender/Receiver pair.
As a child of and participant in American culture, the Master/Slave terminology was axiomatic, no explanation needed. It's interesting that other cultures don't see it that way.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #3

05/19/2017 4:48 PM

To be fair, actions of the master did not always translate directly into action by the slave. Sometimes it may have taken a fair crack of the whip, something that totally disgusts me, and makes me want to praise those who risked life and limb to effect their escape to friendlier places. For the record, no one in my family history ever owned slaves, or claimed to. You may not own another human being, plain and simple.

Back to cylinders, yes, the master cylinder produces a change in physical state, and that state is coupled to the slave cylinder, with the result being motion produced at a distance without a mechanical lever or other similar linkage.

Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - New Member

Good Answers: 3

Re: History or First Use of the Term 'Slave Cylinder'

05/19/2017 4:36 PM

The earliest mention I can find in the Oxford English Dictionary is that "slave cylinder" was mentioned in 1938 in the Journal of the Royal Aeronautical Society.

It's listed under the technical definition of "slave" meaning "used to denote a subsidiary device, esp. one which is controlled by, or which follows accurately the movements of, another device." Someone more knowledgeable on actual slave cylinders may feel the need to correct that definition though.

Here's the quote:

"This is a double acting liquid pressure remote control system having a number of slave cylinder units fed from a common source of pressure... The slave cylinders are arranged to effect a number of operations in a predetermined sequence when pressure is fed through one pipe line."

I hope that helps!

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #2

05/19/2017 4:49 PM

Well, it is Friday, and almost quitting time. Let's go ahead and apply the brakes, and break this off.

Good Answers: 577

05/19/2017 4:49 PM

Master cylinder and slave cylinder are common usages, and the terms are quite descriptive of their functions.

(Not sure if these terms are considered PC these days. )

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

05/20/2017 12:00 AM

Oh it's on the list....

..."In 2003, the County of Los Angeles in California asked that manufacturers, suppliers and contractors to stop using "master" and "slave" terminology on its products; the county made this request "based on the cultural diversity and sensitivity of Los Angeles County".[5][6] Following outcries about the request, the County of Los Angeles issued a statement saying that the decision was "nothing more than a request".[5] Due to the controversy, the term was selected as the most politically incorrect word in 2004 by Global Language Monitor.[7]

In May 2014, GitHub user fcurella submitted a pull request[8] to the GitHub repository for the Python framework Django, initially changing it to "leader/follower" and finally to "primary/replica".[9] This triggered an active discussion of the appropriateness of the master/slave terminology as well as the appropriateness of the change.

In June 2014, Drupal 8 did the same as Django did, citing that the word "replica" is already in use by IBM, Microsoft, Engine Yard, Amazon Web Services, and ACM.[10]

In September 2016, MediaWiki deprecated instances of the terms "slave" in preference of "replica".[11] [12]"...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master/slave_(technology)#Appropriateness_of_usage

Why not just use 'primary controller' and 'secondary reactor'....?

Good Answers: 577
In reply to #8

05/20/2017 4:26 PM

It was said in jest, but even my sarcasm can't get ahead of what they're doing on the Left Coast!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

05/21/2017 8:10 PM

It seems 'jest' from 'jester' may be on the political fence as well....as jester's were considered slaves...

http://blog.blo.org/the-history-of-court-jester-by-magda

....lol

In reply to #8

05/22/2017 8:44 AM

Don't you think this is carrying things just a bit too far? Will they take these words out of the Bible too?

I don't care, and don't have a stake in the outcome of all this, but IMHO it only adds more confusion to the entire arena.

Why not use the words Alpha, and Beta for the primary (controlling circuit), and the secondary (controlled circuit), similar to canine pack hierarchy, at the least the wingnuts out there should be able to recognize natural hierarchy exists.

Or do these folks wish to take this up as another battle front with Darwin at the front lines?

In reply to #8

05/22/2017 8:49 AM

My thoughts are along this line, yes. Is using the master/slave pair to describe two hydraulic components more nasty or dangerous than pulling someone over for driving while black or brown? I dunno. I do think that words and culture have power that's not obvious, especially when it's pervasive, or when you are working in a field that emphasizes a physical result and design.
I do think that this usage has power and harm in it, especially compared to other cultures which either at some point stopped, or have never started with this particular brick in the wall. (Not to give say, France a 'pass'- they are very nasty to Algerians for making them leave) I think this usage reflects an attitude whether personal or cultural that is I don't know, nostalgic, not opposed to or proponents of the chattel slavery in america's past.
I've participated in several arguments where people were arguing about not even using the 'N word' but 'spook' which is a another word for ghost, spectre, etc, slang for spy, and also an anti-black slur. Without telling anyone what's right or wrong, people were willing to step up and say that use of a word was harmful to them, and others were willing to hear this to continue when they could use a different word to describe a ghost.
Back to the original question, the history of the term and it's continued use are interesting to me. Besides the parts box for my clutch reciever, Reading J Sakai's 'Settlers, the Mythology of the white Proletariat...' was stimulating to me too.

You can see the text of the book at www.readsettlers.org

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

05/22/2017 9:56 AM

There were as many indentured whites as slaves in America as there were other races.

It is not a race thing, although people seem all lined up to "play the race card" all the time, frankly it is getting petty, and pretty damned old.

In reply to #16

05/22/2017 10:31 AM

Simply, as far as 'cards' and language, consider that words people use can have different effects, some harmful.
Taking on only the indenture aspect and not challenging on numbers or anything else, consider that indenture was contractual, instead of transmitted by birth as chattel slavery was.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/17/us/irish-slaves-myth.html?_r=0
As for whether 'it's over' consider epiginetics research which suggests that acquired traits including trauma are genetically transmissible:

https://geneticliteracyproject.org/2016/08/21/epigenetics-pregnancy-holocaust-trauma-can-shape-future-generations/
In the interest of not having a dumpster fire, I'm happy to redirect towards the original question of the history of the term if you are.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #17

05/22/2017 10:42 AM

That is fine with me. I do not think that use of a word, or not, should really be grounds for dismissal from employment (although it certainly can be where I work now), as not "politically correct". The real idea is not to harass or disrupt other employees.

Some terms cannot be utilized even in self-deprecating terms. It has nothing to do with directing the term toward a target individual. It does have to do with merely uttering the term.

Maybe at some point in the future words "with charge attached" will be a thing of the past, but somehow I doubt it, owing to human nature, and the tendency to use the vernacular as a weapon at times by some if not most.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 196
In reply to #16

05/22/2017 11:57 AM

I agree.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 196
In reply to #15

05/22/2017 11:48 AM

There might have been, numbers wise, more slaves imported from Africa, over many years into the USA, but actually, the word "slave" is not and should not be made colour "sensitive".

It is not if you look at "slaves" over many thousands of years.

I was brought up using the "master/slave" names in conjunction with car brakes, and it does not conjur up in my head anything to do with Africa, Romans or even ancient Britons and Saxons.......to name but a tiny few.

The list of peoples, since mankind first trod this planet, that have enslaved people, must be as good as endless. Furthermore, I would not think that we would ever even know the list in full.....

Why don't we put aside the indignities done to ALL slaves in the past and maintain it as a car/hydraulic term for the rest of time?

There are plenty of words in various languages, that have quite different meanings in today's world. Why can't that apply to these words too?

In reply to #19

05/22/2017 12:12 PM

Because the silly PC police are everywhere, I guess. Even if they proven to be politically irrelevant and wrong, they still create discomfort for those of us who feel inclined to use every word available in its correct context.

In reply to #19

05/22/2017 1:18 PM

In the context of the US, it's an explicitly racialized term, it doesn't reference what the Athenians held up as a democratic ideal did to their underclass 5,000 years ago. One drop rules established an hereditary chattel cast, endowed with no personhood, only property value. That people in my own neighborhood well north of the mason Dixon Line fly the confederate battle flag and terrorize dark skinned children in my neighborhood, tell me the war is not as far in the past as the american history taught in high schools would have it be, or that actual slavery wasn't reborn as the prison industrial complex (look up convict leasing, for instance)

I think erasure is not the way to address the resonance this term has with people, but instead to look at how history lives today.
I think it is also important to realize how choice or use of words can be 'jerking somebodie's chain' whether or not they tell you.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #24

05/22/2017 1:37 PM

I agree that we don't like having 'our chain jerked', so the golden rules still apply.

Simple respect should be enough for us all to hang our hats on.

Good Answers: 24

05/19/2017 6:46 PM

LORAN (navigation) chains originally had a Master and several Slave transmitters. Later they were called secondary.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 22

05/20/2017 4:16 PM

Language "control" by PC righteousness?

Good Answers: 23

05/20/2017 6:48 PM

According to Wikipedia:

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1

05/22/2017 1:49 AM

Before 1863 (year of Emancipation Proclamation)?

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #13

05/22/2017 12:11 PM

Pascal, Bramah and Maudslay certainly go back far enough. Duesenberg, Vickers and Lougheed were also active in the teens/20's which in the US was called the 'nadir of race relations' with Woodrow Wilson segregating the government, and 'Birth of a nation' in theatres celebrating the KKK. This would be maybe be a period of active and popular nostalgia for chattel slavery.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #21

05/22/2017 12:13 PM

Oh please. Let go of the hate.

In reply to #21

05/22/2017 4:09 PM

People can be offended by anything that hits a sour note with them....I find pc activists offensive...I find people telling me what I can and can't do in a free country offensive....I find ad's for feminine hygiene products on the tv offensive...I find loud radios in passing cars offensive....the list goes on and on and on....so what?...Part of the free in 'free country' stands for the right to offend people....

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

70AARCuda (1); Andy Germany (2); Anonymous Poster (1); James Stewart (8); JWthetech (1); MaggieMc (1); moon161 (5); Rixter (2); SolarEagle (4); tonyhemet (1)

Previous in Forum: Units Converters   Next in Forum: Autonomous Cargo Ships

Advertisement