CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Nitroglycerin Question   Next in Forum: Tank Design (Fermenter)
Close
Close
Close
36 comments
Active Contributor

I Need Help

05/21/2017 10:41 PM

I Knew I should Of listened more in school! This formula Has been giving me fits.I Recently Got into the Business Of sublimation Printing on T-Shirts Ceramic Tiles,Mugs And ect!But The issue seems to be the Coating of the items before they can Be sublimated..I Have The Formula But I am Not Sure what This formula Consist Of...I Know They are a Polymer Combination any additional Info Would be greatly appreciated so That I can try and make the coating for my products so my business can be successful ..

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 350

Re: I need Help

05/21/2017 11:52 PM

Ouch, your asking us to reverse engineer the result of a completed chemical process.

You may get lucky if someone here is able to provide a link to the process that results in the end result you have posted, but reverse engineering is......unlikely with only this bit of information.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 751
In reply to #1

05/22/2017 12:55 AM

The "R" seems to be a misprint (among many others in the post).

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #2

05/22/2017 5:09 PM

The R is for pirate chemists . . .

Guru

Good Answers: 23
In reply to #2

05/23/2017 7:47 AM

Not a misprint. The R is what one might call an algebraic term in the description of an organic molecule. It could stand for an H, a C or a more complex hydrocarbon, see this page.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Active Contributor

In reply to #1

05/22/2017 7:12 AM

These coatings belong to the class of polymers comprising epoxies, acrylics, polyesters and polyurethane. I believe the polyurethane dominant compositions mixed with epoxy resin and a blocked polyisocyanate could be what that formula was trying to say ! Now The blocked Polyiscyanate is another issue..I really do appreciate all the Help on the subject I can get.I Have tried the Digi coating as someone in this discussion suggested and it wasn't what I believe or would consider a quality product,I Have wasted so much money On sprays,Paper,Urethane, poly,epoxy resin and the list goes on,I am very close but Now i am stumped and need a little help!!

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #8

05/22/2017 12:22 PM

blocked polyisocyanate - 1K product, no pot life (unless you heat the pot to cure temperature).

http://www.coatings.covestro.com/en/Technologies/Solventborne/Blocked-Polyisocyanates

All the information you most likely need can be found through the above link, and a quick telephone call to the providers of this product.

In reply to #15

05/23/2017 2:00 PM

Thank You So Much James,I really Do appreciate All the Help and Understanding of My Frustration It has really been a Nightmare Trying to Become a Chemist!! LOL! I Have also Read That Epoxy Is a lot Cleaner when Curing,than Other Polymers ..I also Know it is more expensive But i would rather spend a little more than Breath the toxic fumes LOL! I just wonder if I took Like 4 Oz of Epoxy,4 Ml Of Catalyst ( Hardner ) and Maybe A little H20 and start with that as a Base,and kinda go from there Maybe adding a few drops of other Polymers for different applications if i would be on right Track or completely off base!

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #29

06/05/2017 10:37 AM

If you are breathing fumes off any polymerization, you are doing it badly. Use a fume hood, glove bag, or the like to prevent general contamination of the work space with potentially hazardous fumes, also to limit the effects that variable humidity can have.

As to the direct water addition concept, what have you read in that regard? I suppose it can weaken the final product, and also slow the curing just a bit, but it could lead to something you would rather just throw out and start over if over done.

If relying upon thermal setting of the epoxy by driving off the water, you could end up with something like epoxy sponge if things are bad enough. Not good IMHO.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 336
In reply to #1

05/22/2017 8:51 AM

Its like trying to unbake a cake

Good Answers: 1129

05/22/2017 12:57 AM

That's polyurethane...

In reply to #3

05/22/2017 1:16 AM

https://www.finishing.com/166/43.shtml

http://www.dur-a-flex.com/Home/PerformanceTopcoats/

..."Polyurethanes are made by the exothermic reactions between alcohols with two or more reactive groups per hydroxyl molecule (-OH) (diols, triols, polyols) and isocyanates having more than one reactive isocyanate group (-NCO) per molecule (diisocyanates , Polyisocyanates)."...

In reply to #4

05/22/2017 1:34 AM

Found this,,, don't know if it works and/or for what materials...

http://www.shopdyesub.com/Polycoat.htm

...another one....

http://sepsgraphics.com/site/Sublimation_coatings.html

If you're thinking about manufacturing your own, you need a good chemist and some money, it's complicated....

In reply to #3

05/22/2017 6:50 AM

Yes It Is a combination Of Thermosetting Polymers Combo With Other additives to thin the base. This Formula has been so difficult for me to put together and I thought with having this as a Starting point would make it easier if i reached out to someone who could understand the code and had knowledge in this field.I didn't realize that it would be just as hard,I thought each Letter stood for a Polymer or a Additive and all I needed to do was post an someone who could read it would be Okay 1 2 3 WAH LAH!! I Guess it is Back t the Drawing board..I Do Appreciate all the Ones who took time out to help!! Any Advice would be very Helpful! Because My knowledge is very Limited

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #7

05/22/2017 10:57 AM

Just a note: the chemical formula for WAH LAH is voila! It's a French formula.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

05/22/2017 1:46 PM

Voilà actually...

In reply to #19

05/22/2017 2:36 PM

But would you have caught that had I not mentioned it? Good thing you looked it up, ay?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #20

05/22/2017 3:18 PM

Toooshay oh sharp one...lol

Good Answers: 59
In reply to #11

05/22/2017 2:43 PM

Pronounced: VWAH LAH

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #21

05/23/2017 2:13 PM

I Live in the South and have a Accent If that makes a Difference LOL!

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #31

05/23/2017 2:22 PM

I live in Wisconsin,... where we have no accent.

In reply to #32

06/05/2017 10:38 AM

All people in Wisconsin have a beer accent.

In reply to #34

06/05/2017 12:59 PM

And Texas has its Chili. And what do they have in common?

In reply to #35

06/05/2017 1:56 PM

Well, it ain't beef arts. Old Milwaukee, tastes just like the refreshing taste of the Mississippi River. I have consumed this and other Wisconsin favorites in the past, but my liver is no longer up to it, any more than I would take a wooden boat, and go raiding the coastline of England.

In reply to #7

05/22/2017 1:27 PM

Well if it was that easy the formula would be readily available and the coatings would be cheap....It should be obvious by now, that is not the case...These companies that make and sell the coatings no doubt hired a chemist to develop the formula they use, and as such, they are proprietary in nature and protected by patent or copyright...You might be able to buy the rights to use some patented formulas...It seems that every surface demands a certain chemical formula, so finding a combination that will work well in your particular application, is likely by trial and error...

https://www.google.com/patents/US5234983

In reply to #18

05/22/2017 7:33 PM

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 701

05/22/2017 6:08 AM

<...so my business can be successful...>

So, what's in it for any CR4 subscriber who chooses to help? Consultancy is not free!

In reply to #6

05/22/2017 11:06 AM

Bragging rights. In 40 years' time, when her biz has evolved into a giant multinational (if not multiworld) corporation with more money than Davy Crockett, our epitaphs can read "We had a hand in that".

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #12

05/23/2017 1:49 PM

LMAO EXACTLY Cause I ALWAYS Give Credit Where Credit Is Due!!!!

Thank You for all Your Help EVERYONE!!

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #6

05/22/2017 12:25 PM

It is free if she contacts the suppliers of blocked isocyanates. Doh!

Basically, if she does not raised the printed pattern to the correct temperature to cure the thing she printed on the T-shirt, then it is just smearable goop.

Follow directions to the letter, and all will be well.

Guru

Good Answers: 578

Re: I Need Help

05/22/2017 10:19 AM

R is a placeholder for different kinds of radicals which may be attached to the molecule....

"Illustrated Glossary of Organic Chemistry

R group: An abbreviation for any group in which a carbon or hydrogen atom is attached to the rest of the molecule. Sometimes used more loosely, to include other elements such as halogens, oxygen, or nitrogen. R is an abbreviation for radical, when the term radical applied to a portion of a complete molecule (not necessarily a free radical), such as a methyl group. Should not be confused with R (the gas constant), R (the one-letter abbreviation for the amino acid arginine) or R (a designation of absolute configuration)."

R = ?R =

CH3
Toluene

R = H

Benzene

R =

Ph
Biphenyl

http://web.chem.ucla.edu/~harding/IGOC/R/r_group.html

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Active Contributor

In reply to #10

05/23/2017 2:12 PM

Thank you So Much For Your Help,It Is All Greatly Appreciated!! I was Seriously at my wits end, because although I do Understand that others did their research before me and some feel like why should I help them,But I Have seriously Put in Months and Hours and Hours Of research and Time energy and money! I can also see their side of it But I Have Honest Put in Effort and work! This has Provided me with a ray of hope and Hopefully I will be able to finally put together something i can use! Hopefully I can give a Positive Update!

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 209

05/22/2017 11:55 AM

I don't know if this helps, and found this.

05/22/2017 12:18 PM

That appears to be a poly-urethane coating. I hope you also know how to remove it?

I was almost tricked into seeing that as a homo-protein, one that is made up all the same amino acid. The extra oxygen, I think definitely places this in the polyurethane class.

Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 11

05/22/2017 12:39 PM

Maybe you could ask your competition how they do it ? ...

Good Answers: 230

05/23/2017 5:02 AM

For what it's worth.

Search google for image

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 196

05/23/2017 6:05 AM

Why not buy them in all ready made from top manufacturers.

Then when you have a lot of experience,starting a small way with a tiny R&D to develope your own.

There are companies that will take a small sample, scan it and let you know the chemicals in the sample. Also the approximative amounts.

Use an unmarked container.....

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andrew Westman (3); Andy Germany (1); energyconversion (1); jack of all trades (1); James Stewart (6); JPool (1); Mike W (1); MR. Guest (1); phoenix911 (3); phph001 (1); PWSlack (1); Randall (1); rhonda72 (6); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (7); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Nitroglycerin Question   Next in Forum: Tank Design (Fermenter)

Advertisement