CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Equation For Comparing Flow Rates of Canal as a Function of Inflow Flow Rate?   Next in Forum: Problems in Society
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 3

Load on Pipeline Crossing Under a Railway Line

05/24/2017 7:43 AM

I ve to provide a 1400 mm dia Mild Steel casing pipe crossing 9 meters under a railway line to carry a pipeline of 900 mm dia. from one side to other. To calculate wall thickness of the casing pipe to withstand the load of the earth overhead as well as the load of the moving train overhead, I need to know lateral pressure on the pipe to ensure it does not buckle. The Diesel railway engine weight is 112.8 tons. and 17 meters long. Has 12 wheels 6 on either side. Each wagon's max. wt. is 83 tons and length 10 meters. The railway line is broad gauge which has a span of 1.676 meters between the rails. Can anyone provide the thk. calc. or let me know at what spread of area the load will get distributed from the top of the embankment to the top of the pipe so the pressure on pipe can be calculated by dividing the load by the area.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 92

Re: Load on Pipeline Crossing Under a Railway line

05/24/2017 9:27 AM

Try this first:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateral_earth_pressure

Are you sure about buckling of the pipe?

What wall thickness is available for your casing? Do you have many options?

Guru

Good Answers: 771

05/24/2017 10:16 AM

If it was me I would be inclined to use standard concrete culvert piping for the load bearing section given its engineered to withstand such loads plus has an extramly long service life compared to mild steel when placed in the ground.

Beyond that I would also l consult with the railway engineers as to what depth and other requirements they may have as well.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 7)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774

05/24/2017 3:34 PM

I imagine the "soil" composition between the railroad bed and your pipe will also be a concern. Swamp, solid granite bedrock, crumbled slate, mafic lava (the cooled variety) and loam top soil will all have different load bearing capabilities that can carry the load around the pipe.

Good Answers: 1141

05/25/2017 2:03 AM

For coated or cathodically protected pipe.... .469" nominal thickness...unprotected .531"...minimum yield strength 35k psi...

https://www.cn.ca/-/media/Files/Delivering-Responsibly/Safety/Utility-Installation/pipeline-specs-form-US-0510-en.pdf?la=en

Good Answers: 246
In reply to #4

05/25/2017 2:54 AM

Thought you were having a laugh. I overlooked that decimal following that initial ellipsis.

Shouldn't those thicknesses be 0.750" and 0.812", respectively?

Good Answers: 1141
In reply to #5

05/25/2017 12:16 PM

Yes....I guess I was looking at 900mm....that's why I include the links, for double checking....good catch

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 703

05/25/2017 3:18 AM

Most modern railway organisations will have standardised solutions for this particular application, though usually in pre-formed concrete sections rather than in steel. Maybe it's time to pick up the phone and ask about them with Engineers that actually work in this field, perhaps?

Good Answers: 36
In reply to #6

05/25/2017 10:02 AM

I go along with that. In fact it might be a case of the railway engineering dept refusing to allow you access - and doing the work themselves - and sending you a bill at the end.

If I owned a railway, I would not wanting novices digging tunnels under it.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 703
In reply to #6

05/25/2017 10:14 AM

Anyway, isn't that a good enough reason to attend a networking event? - to get to know people who know where to look things up? After all, not everything is on the internet.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774
In reply to #8

05/25/2017 10:24 AM

The problem is that everything but clearly indicated as authorized answers are on the internet. Remember, for every AHJ there are millions of bored wannabes and liars that are eager to be heard. Internet search engines put at the top of their searches the popular answer. If your lucky that will be the correct answer.

Good Answers: 3

05/26/2017 4:23 AM

Thanks to all for your comments. I guess I need to go to a consultant who gets clearances / approvals from Railways for such crossings.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Participant

05/26/2017 7:26 AM

why not some out of the box idea?

how about using regular steel plates of parabolic shape, placed vertical, facing each other and the 900 mm pipe passing between them?

all the lateral load will be nullified because of shape. soil density varies in different seasons, that's the only problem you have to solve now.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Guru

Good Answers: 119

06/02/2017 4:50 AM

The depth of burial also comes into it. The deeper it is, the greater the weight of earth, but the weight of the engine is spread out more.

I agree with others in thinking steel isn't the best choice for the job.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Codemaster (1); horace40 (1); IdeaSmith (1); kasharma (1); PWSlack (2); redfred (2); SolarEagle (2); swapnil1980 (1); tcmtech (1); truth is not a compromise (1)

Previous in Forum: Equation For Comparing Flow Rates of Canal as a Function of Inflow Flow Rate?   Next in Forum: Problems in Society

Advertisement