CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Project Loon   Next in Forum: Gravitational Lensing
Close
Close
Close
37 comments
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 12

AI Neural Network's Names for New Paint Colors

05/24/2017 12:03 PM

http://interestingengineering.com/ai-neural-network-picks-hilariously-wrong-names-for-new-paint-colors/

What should I paint the bedroom after the new carpet is installed: Bunflow? Stargoon?

A little humor for a Wednesday.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 336

Re: AI Neural Network's Names for New Paint Colors

05/24/2017 1:16 PM

Really... not if you have a dog,... maybe 'Sindis Poop'?

Anyways,... Sherwin Williams AI programmers should have had some marketing background infused (programmed) in their program

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 209

05/24/2017 3:53 PM

Hmm... I think I had a case of Clardic Fug, it gave me the Ronching Blues.

I still get Dorkwood, though not as often as when I was younger.

Really??? Someone needs to do a little reprogramming, Dorkwood?? How can that not go wrong?

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #2

05/24/2017 5:16 PM

Well, as far as dorkwood, you wear it well.

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

In reply to #9

05/24/2017 5:25 PM

I bought some colored pocket tee-shirts from Target this spring on clearance, paid $2.50 each. Pretty sure one of them was Dorkwood. Another was goose poop green and the other was road kill possum blood red.

Great for yard work, so yes, I wear the dorkwood well.

In reply to #11

05/24/2017 8:32 PM

$2.50 well spent...

05/24/2017 4:22 PM

Home Depot paint tech : "How may I help you, Sir?"

Me : "I need some paint."

Home Depot paint tech : "What color are you looking for?"

Me : "Dorkwood, I just don't know how much Dorkwood I need."

Home Depot paint tech : "????? Security!!!"

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 350

05/24/2017 4:28 PM

Well I don't see one called "human slave sweat".

A potential AI uprising is unlikely to be subtle, still people will still miss the signs and complain. That's what you get ignoring scientific news and concentrating on celebrity gossip.

In reply to #4

05/24/2017 4:42 PM

human slave sweat doesn't sound much worse then "Ghasty Pink" or "Burf Pink".

"Dondarf" isn't all that bad, I buy shampoo for that.

In reply to #4

05/24/2017 5:17 PM

Or 'processed bean burrito'.

05/24/2017 4:50 PM

I really want to know what colors you get when you start mixing these.

Example : what do you get when you put some "Dorkwood" into some "Ghasty Pink"???

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #6

05/26/2017 3:10 PM

"... what do you get when you put some "Dorkwood" into some "Ghasty Pink"???"

Nightmares.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #30

05/26/2017 3:43 PM

Question: What do you get when you mix....

Together?

Answer: A Parade

Wait,... What?.... Stoney Blue, Stanky Bean, Turdly?... Really?

Scratch that,...with names like that, you do not get Parade,... what you get is a Blue Grass Festival.... lol

In reply to #31

05/26/2017 4:57 PM

lot of dull tones there. If you mixed that all together, I am sure I have seen that color in a diaper many years ago...

Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #31

05/27/2017 2:47 PM

I wonder if the namng program is just a random name generator . Anyone ever see Sindis Poop?

In reply to #36

05/27/2017 3:57 PM

I have seen Sydney's poop. (My youngest daughter), but not for a long time now, she is 14...

In reply to #30

05/26/2017 4:55 PM

I know, I have done it years ago. I still have nightmares about it, but also good memories...(kids) Wait are we talking paint or my ex marriage??

Paint, I hope...

In reply to #32

05/27/2017 12:04 AM

No worries, mate: paint. Speaking of exes conjures up concentric circles of red overlaid with crosshairs.

"I still miss my ex, but my aim is improving."

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #34

05/27/2017 8:42 AM

05/24/2017 4:58 PM

Thanks, Best in Show. This is some definite Wednesday humor. I needed it.

CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #7

05/26/2017 10:33 AM

You're welcome! I've enjoyed the comments -- got some belly laughs out of them. Believe me, this week I needed something to laugh at.

I was interested in the way this thread branched off into a discussion of how vision works. Usually we start off with something serious and end up silly.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 577

05/24/2017 5:04 PM

Women have all sorts of names for various colors. I pretty much stick with the names I learned in kindergarten, the primary set.

Because there are three color receptors in the eye, human color perception can be defined by three numbers, the relative intensity of red, green, and blue light. But this is equivalent to just 3 data samples in the light spectrum, and two light sources with different spectra could very well have the same perceived color.

The spectrum of reflected light is the product of the reflector and the illuminator color spectra. So two objects which have the same perceived color under one light source (e.g. tungsten lamp) may appear quite different under another light source (e.g. fluorescent light).

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

05/24/2017 8:36 PM

Some women are tetrachromic - four colour receptors instead of the usual three. 12% of women carry the gene, but not all 12% are tetrachromats; only a fraction are.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

05/24/2017 10:16 PM

Birds, amphibians, and even insects are tetrachromic. Most mammals lost 2 of the 4 cones in the eye. Humans and other primates gained back one. Even 4 channels of color information is rudimentary compared to hyperspectral cameras.

Two-dimensional projection of a hyperspectral cube

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 22

05/24/2017 5:35 PM

SHE: Is this color peach?

HE: Peach is a fruit, not a color.

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 620

05/24/2017 10:31 PM

The common form of 'color blindess' is actually a deficiency in the ability to see a difference in the color red. It also means it is difficult to distinguish some shades of red and green. There are degrees of this type of color blindness, with some having a mild deficiency, some stronger.

As it turns out though, people with this deficiency have an ability to see shadings (hues) of green that people with 'normal' vision can't see.

It is mostly men who have 'color blindness', though I happen to have two friends who are women with mild cases of it. (They are not related.)

In reply to #16

05/25/2017 7:15 AM

As it turns out though, people with this deficiency have an ability to see shadings (hues) of green that people with 'normal' vision can't see.

The military recognized that, and soldiers did have an advantage of being color blind when on patrols. I did quite understand that. Until one day I was working with a co-worker that was color blind.

When I was employed in the shipyard, 25-30 years ago, we were repairing a large CNC router, it was cutting aluminum, and it had an unscheduled shut down due to repairs. There was shavings 6"-10" deep. (Clean up we normally take out 3 to 5, 55 gallon barrels of shavings.) The repair should only take about 30-45 minutes. so we dove right in.

We did the repair (replacement) and as I was reassembling it, I dropped a specialize machine screw. It bounced off the work area and dropped in the shavings. It about 18mm long x 3-4mm. I saw theapproximate direction it dropped, but it looked futile.

The guy I was working with was color blind. and he said to carefully step away. we stood about 8 feet away, and this guy look over the pile of shavings for a few seconds, walked up reached down into the shavings and picked it up. It was unbelievable.

In reply to #16

05/25/2017 8:24 AM

I'm wondering if the better discrimination is a response to color-blindness in the same fashion as enhanced hearing is to totally blind persons. People with normal vision may not concentrate on variations of gray but depend more on color.

Color blindness is more common than most people believe with about 1 in 30 males suffering from it. There are glasses on the market now that apparently filters the light to correct for the inequality of red and green cones in the eyes of color-blind people.

https://colormax.org/color-blindness-treatment/glasses/

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 701

05/25/2017 10:09 AM

Project management ooopsy: the bedroom needs to be painted before the new carpet is laid and the carpet needs to be laid after the paint is dry.

Goddamn Gantt charts! Who needs 'em (rhetorical question - NNTR)?

In reply to #19

05/25/2017 12:05 PM

Absolutely correct! Good catch.

1. Install new carpet

2. Paint bedroom

3. Remove paint covered new carpet

4. Install new carpet

Two, too many steps.

That was a close one.....

In reply to #19

05/25/2017 12:10 PM

Anyone choosing to paint their walls with Bunflow or Stargoon deserves a Timothy Leary carpet.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #21

05/25/2017 4:32 PM

And what is wrong with that? I am still radioactive after nuclear scan yesterday, that looks fine to me. Where can I get that?

In reply to #22

05/25/2017 6:20 PM

Wrong? Who said anything about wrong? I've been trying to snag one of these carpets for years.

Dibs!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #26

05/25/2017 7:22 PM

If you can find more then one, I am going half with you.

I want that on my bedroom ceiling.

Maybe some early Led Zeppelin album covers on the floor.....

In reply to #27

05/25/2017 7:34 PM

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 175
In reply to #21

05/25/2017 5:05 PM

Heeyyy man! Is that WTF Green there? Groovy!

In reply to #24

05/25/2017 6:19 PM

yea man, it's groovy... I wonder if it will be groovy Sunday? Looks like a study.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 701

05/25/2017 4:33 PM

White with a hint of sh!te?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

70AARCuda (1); agua_doc (1); Andrew Westman (6); BestInShow (1); jack of all trades (1); JPool (14); Mikerho (1); phoenix911 (6); PWSlack (2); Rixter (3); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Project Loon   Next in Forum: Gravitational Lensing

Advertisement