CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: AI Neural Network's Names for New Paint Colors   Next in Forum: Modbus Communication Link Disruption At Random Times
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Commentator

Gravitational Lensing

05/26/2017 12:42 AM

A Black Hole bends a light ray by the order of θ = GM/c2r where M=mass of Black Hole , c is the speed of light and r is the distance of the light ray from the Black Hole. My understanding is that the Black Hole bends every part of light ray so the overall bending angle is significant. Suppose a light ray has three points A, B and C. Distance between A & B is 6400Km and distance between B & C is also 6400Km. The distance between B and the Black Hole is also 6400Km. If light ray comes from point A then the Black Hole srats bending the light ray by the order of θ = GM/c21.414r and gradually increases and becomes max at point B. The over all bending angle would be θ = GM/c2r x 12800000 (where M is the mass of black hole equal to mass of sun).

A B C

Black Hole

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: black hole
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 350

Re: Gravitational Lensing

05/28/2017 4:10 PM

Ok, but are you sure you got the math right? Where exactly did the formula come from (do you have a link you can post)?

Also, is there a question for us or something you would like to discuss regarding communications or something? I am not sure where to go from here on this post.

In reply to #1

05/29/2017 12:11 AM

Here is the link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_lens

I was not sure about the Group in posting.

But I am sure electronics engineers would have interest in the astronomy.

I am M.Sc. in Organic Chemistry. I am interested in astronomy.

Register to Reply
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 350
In reply to #2

05/29/2017 12:18 AM

Well ok then. With no explanation to what you posted and no link it was unclear what you were trying to convey.

In reply to #3

05/29/2017 12:26 AM

I am researching on the possibility of solar eclipse by small black hole if it passes

by our planet- the Earth.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 700
In reply to #4

06/06/2017 8:04 AM

Define <...small...>, please?

Click here.

Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Old Member, New Association

Good Answers: 72

06/23/2017 1:31 PM

Gravitational Lensing would be the least of your concerns if a black hole passed through our solar system. A rogue planet passing through the solar system could cause significant danger and disruption even to the point of extinction under most conditions.

It also seems possible that your equation fits nicely with one or more observations but the concept might be entirely wrong. For instance, since gravity warps space-time, then perhaps we are actually observing a shift in space-time instead of a bend. Put that in you calculator!

In reply to #6

07/06/2017 12:28 AM

The Einstein concept of space-time curvature by gravity is very difficult to understand. Usually a denture is represented graphically in space-time. We know gravity acts in all directions but the graphical presentation of gravity effect seems to be in one direction.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Old Member, New Association

Good Answers: 72

08/22/2017 10:39 AM

This is what should be shown for the effect of gravity on space time. The usual graph in 2D is just a plane on this diagram:

I suppose circular coordinates and plotting would be even better, but this view shows how gravity distortion is in all directions.

As said previously, the effect of a black hole passing through our solar system could be catastrophic if it wasn't very, very brief. It has the potential of changing orbits within our solar system. That could be bad news indeed.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

AshrafSiddiqui (3); jack of all trades (2); NotUrOrdinaryJoe (2); PWSlack (1)

Previous in Forum: AI Neural Network's Names for New Paint Colors   Next in Forum: Modbus Communication Link Disruption At Random Times

Advertisement