CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Terahertz Body Scanner: Does It Work?   Next in Forum: Expert Advice Needed
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 14

Walabot 3D Imaging Sensor

06/07/2017 8:57 AM

Finally -- a stud finder that even I can use successfully. I like the idea of using it as a bike radar too.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 589

Re: Walabot 3D Imaging Sensor

06/07/2017 9:16 AM

OK, I want one!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1141

06/07/2017 9:56 AM

Wow can't wait for the iphone version....that is really cool....hope it's not all hype...

06/07/2017 10:55 AM

I looked at the app on the play store. The ratings show quite a few disgruntled people, but I don't know how many are clueless and don't understand the app doesn't work without the device.

Register to Reply
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

In reply to #3

06/08/2017 8:47 AM

Probably quite a few. Smart phones are so generally smart these days I'm sure a lot of folks assume they can do anything but the dishes.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 158

06/07/2017 12:02 PM

Father's day alert!

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155

06/07/2017 2:10 PM

Nice price. What is this about bike radar? How's about turning on the light in the garage, so's you don't trip over that bike?

In reply to #5

06/08/2017 8:49 AM

Bike radar is one of the potential applications the article lists. Doesn't specify what KIND of danger though.

Vehicle Radar

It can be applied as a car and bike radar system, which will alert users if they are in danger. The Walabot Maker model contains 15 antenna array and radar mode API for 2D tracking and monitoring.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 69

06/08/2017 8:55 AM

Oh boy! Soon they will have these perfected!

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #8

06/08/2017 12:03 PM

I am sure that is going to ruin every future trip to the beach!

Why can't the children just play nice, and not be looky lews?

Good Answers: 34
In reply to #9

06/08/2017 1:43 PM

When I go to the beach and the girls are wearing skimpy swimsuits... I'm such a gentleman that I only stare at the covered parts!

In reply to #10

06/08/2017 3:04 PM

Why of course you do! How is the view from down there? Really, and truthfully, what would the world be without beautiful women in it?

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Good Answers: 37

06/09/2017 11:11 AM

I saw this product at Maker faire in nyc but they weren't demoing it just advertising it. My understanding is that the resolution isn't nearly as good as the images make you believe but it does work. The key to this is the sensor from Vayyar that was really developed for the medical industry. Due to the time and regulations required in the medical industry they were seeking other uses for the product in the meantime.

There are multiple versions of it with different prices, they use a matrix of the sensors and the main difference is the number of sensor chips used, where more chips gives you higher resolution.

Register to Reply
Guru

06/09/2017 8:25 PM

This model apparently is a stud and pipe finder with limited imaging capability. It's their DIY model. I downloaded the Android app and there is a $10 discount.

https://walabot.com/diy

There are advanced models that have more capabilities, more of what I would like to do, but for a higher price, maybe a little pricey for a neat toy. These are their "for makers" models:

https://walabot.com/

For technical details on these, see:

https://walabot.com/docs/walabot-tech-brief-416.pdf

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 13 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BestInShow (2); frankd20 (1); James Stewart (3); jhowdy (1); Kilowatt0 (1); Rixter (3); SolarEagle (1); Tom_Consulting (1)

Previous in Forum: Terahertz Body Scanner: Does It Work?   Next in Forum: Expert Advice Needed

Advertisement