Close
Close
Close
23 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Crippled Mode Function For Controllers

06/13/2017 7:07 AM

Hi Gents,

I want to know the crippled mode function for the controllers. Please explain what is crippled mode for controllers and how it working?

thanks.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Anonymous Poster #2

Re: Crippled Mode Function For Controllers

06/13/2017 8:16 AM

Click here.

Anonymous Poster #3
In reply to #1

06/13/2017 3:35 PM

You're being WAY too nice, you forgot to gall him an idiot for asking what he KNEW was a stupid question.

Are you REALLY AP#2? Normally its AP#2 being rude to AP#1, and then AP#3 tells AP#2 to dial it back a notch. It's uncomfortable changing identities like this.

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 703

06/13/2017 8:18 AM

Objection: some of the contributors to these fora are female. Of those that are not, not all of them are <...Gents...>.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #2

06/13/2017 4:31 PM

And not all the ladies are gents either

Good Answers: 589

06/13/2017 10:17 AM

crippled mode

crippled mode

[′krip·əld ‚mōd] (computer science) The operation of a computer at reduced capacity when certain parts are not working. http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/crippled+mode

Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

06/13/2017 11:25 AM

Crippled mode: that part of a controller that was not working is contributed to by other parts not working after a blow with a very large 5 # rubber mallet.

Result: elevator still stuck between floors.

Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 351

06/13/2017 3:52 PM

How has it been explained to you? In what context and what type of controller?

Sounds like a less politically correct way of saying the controller is running a basic free-ware version of the manufacturer's controller software limiting some controller functionality compared to if you brought the full software package from the manufacturer which allowed full feature functionality.

Good Answers: 589
In reply to #6

06/14/2017 10:37 AM

I'm thinking you probably nailed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crippleware

Guru

In reply to #8

06/14/2017 12:04 PM

The real question is why do pirates always use crippleware (peg-leg ware).

Arrrh! Break out the rum for all me mates!

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #9

06/14/2017 3:33 PM

Its more commonly used by the big companies to save money than pirates (queue big company pirate joke here).

Why produce multiple different free demo and paid versions of the same software when you can just lock some of the features unless the right code is purchased and entered. Makes sense.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 87
In reply to #10

06/14/2017 4:05 PM

Even the videogame industry gas gotten in on that racket.

They call it "On Disk DLC," or, to expand the acronym, "On-Disk Downlodable Content."

You can see the irony there; if it's already on the disk you bought, you don't need to 'download' it, although you still need to pay extra to use it. (Known as "One game for the price of two!")

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Guru

In reply to #11

06/14/2017 4:32 PM

Yes this is becoming more and more common with certain big software companies.

This sort of thing is really not on as generally it should be part of the expected full-priced game content, not some extra, especially if it is not a cosmetic addition (such as increasing the number of multiplayer maps on a game where the single player part of the game is really only an add-on and the main gameplay experience is multiplayer making the extra paid add-on almost a mandatory purchase for full game functionality).

In reply to #12

06/14/2017 4:49 PM

Suppose they gave a party, and no one shows up! That should teach them not to go bobbing for dollars.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
In reply to #13

06/16/2017 8:34 AM

That's my philosophy.

for one thing, I no longer pre-order games that will be send by digital download. There's no need to give my money early, since the supply is not limited, and the companies should not be 'rewarded' for picking a sales model that pres on the consumer.

I also think twice before picking up a game that has "Day Zero DLC," since that's just another way of saying '"On-Disk DLC." If you made a game that's too big to fit on a DVD, even with compression, and you put the content that won't fit into a "Day Zero patch" that downloads and installs when you install the game, that's fine. But hiding part of the main content behind a second payment is just plain wrong.

And do NOT get me started on "microtransactions," those are so heavily abused to milk the consumer that it should be a felony punishable by a MINIMUM of the death penalty. There are a very few instances where microtransactions make sense, like the Napster2.0 model, where you can buy just the songs you like from an album or purchase the whole album at a discount from buying all the tracks a la carte, and by extension the ability to purchase individual songs or album packs for Guitar Hero/Rock Band games. However, there are some companies that release games that are BEYOND "Nintendo Hard" and require WEEKS of grinding to get the basic resources to get past the introductory boss, then offer a "Starter Pack" of supplies as DLC that give you what you need to actually get past the intro boss and get into the main game. That is literally "Pay to Win," and when done for a single player game, it is just a big F-U to the consumer.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Guru

In reply to #14

06/16/2017 9:07 AM

Now, now, let's all take a deep breath here, and ratchet it down a notch. Peeps have to make a livin' you know, mate.

BTW - -cheers to my left-wing buddy. Hope you are doing OK. Let's reach across the aisle and make America Happy Again.

In reply to #15

06/16/2017 9:47 AM

"Now, now, let's all take a deep breath here, and ratchet it down a notch. Peeps have to make a livin' you know, mate."

Was there anything in there that said I wanted unlimited software support/new content for free?

If you're making a large game, and breaking it into chapters, where each chapter has as much content as a Triple-A game, I'm fine paying full-game price for each chapter.

If you make a game, and six months later wrap up production on new content that wasn't even conceived up when the game launched, I'm fine paying market rate for the new DLC.

If you make a game, then lock half of it away behind an internal paywall, so that I need to pay TWICE to get the game you were claiming to sell at the first price, that's NOT OK!

I specifically left the 'freemium' game model (free-to-play, microtransactions to get an edge over other players) out of the discussion because that is a topic worthy of its own thread. (In summary, the 'skinflint' majority enjoy the game at their own pace, while the 'competitive' players spend real-world money to try and get ahead of the other 'competitives.' All the players enjoy the game at their own prefered level, and the cashflow from the 'pay-to-win' crowd more than covers the cost of supporting the 'skinflints' and the cost of making the new content for the top tiers.) That is actually a nice demonstration of Capitalism; everyone enjoys the Good (resource) and those willing to provide greater support get a greater enjoyment. Kind of like the system of covert tickets and backstage passes, the pass allows you to access more content ('behind the scenes') but it does not lock away content that was promoted as part of the main package. a 'Crippleware' style concert would be something like you pay to get in and watch the roadies set up the stage, but the band is actually going to play in the concert hall across the street, which requires a 'second stage access pass' to enter. You thought you were paying to see the band, but all you get is a chance to stare at the band's backup instruments.

Guru

In reply to #16

06/16/2017 9:59 AM

No, brother, I was off-topic as usual. Nothing to do with the games. The only game I play (except I need new gaming computer) is a monthly pay for play game.

It is cheaper than my monthly pizza bill, so whatever.

I was talking about your statement about doing bodily harm to the producers/distributors of the game when they have outrageous surcharges and fees.

In reply to #17

06/16/2017 11:49 AM

"I was talking about your statement about doing bodily harm to the producers/distributors of the game when they have outrageous surcharges and fees."

I admit, I did veer off into hyperbole there, however, some companies are seriously abusing the microtransaction model in pay-to-play games, if this continues, we'll end up with a game that:

• Has a monthly fee to prevent your character from being summarily deleted.
  • Has a microtransaction to unlock one-time access to each quest.
  • Has each individual zone/dungeon you need to enter to complete the quest locked behind individual on-disk DLC purchases.
  • Has a microtransaction to buy the quest reward that the quest 'unlocks' for a one-time purchase.
  • Has a microtransaction for your character to gain the benefits (stat increases, ability to equip new weapons/armor) of gaining a level.
  • Has a microtransaction (as well as in-game currency) to purchase basic, required items for character survival.

Paying a fair price should entitle you to a fair product, not a product that is attempting to Hoover every last cent from your bank account. Too many companies are trying to use the Cable Company business model and attempt to 'monetize' everything they can, whether or not it is moral or ethical to do so.

Guru

In reply to #18

06/16/2017 1:24 PM

Like all money making schemes, what you are referring to is a price gouge hidden within a structure of sub-fees, etc.

One option: (1) you love the game, and would hate to miss the action, so you keep paying. (2) you love the game, but you cannot well afford to keep paying for "nothing", so you will have to go back to "reality" and actually do something with your time.

Second option: (2) save your money, the game sux, go out and get your law degree, a fake royal duke uniform, and get hot dates as a fake duke. Somebody else recently tried this already, but he may be going to jail, since the Montenegro no longer has royalty, and even if they did, he is still only a fake duke. But do no lament, being a skuzzy lawyer should get you almost as many dates with "hotties".

Third option: (3) Keep the game, but change professions to a medical doctor, and once you have mastered abdominal surgery, you are ready for the "real" playing field. Many hotties will ask you for a date, you won't even have to troll the bar scene.

In reply to #19

06/16/2017 1:44 PM

When they're honest and open about the fee structure up front, even the price-gouging style could be, if not forgiven, at least tolerated to the point of NOT raising a mob of farmers and peasants to chase the offender into a windmill and then burn said windmill to the ground.

It's when they're being sneaky about the fee info, AND when they're designing parts of the game to attract/encourage/ensnare the 'addictive personality types' that the companies are being deliberately butterfly-stomping, child-beating, puppy-eating EVIL.

Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #20

06/16/2017 2:33 PM

I guess tar and feathers comes to mind in such a case. Or pitchforks and Frankenstein's castle on fire, but just remember, the monster was human and had a soul, and asked only one thing: "Whyyyyyeeeeeeeeeee"?

Also the monster at the end of one version (the newest one I think) mentions while burning the funeral pyre of Dr. Victor Frankenstein, "I am done with humanity."

In reply to #21

06/16/2017 4:04 PM

You caught my reference, on a glancing blow, at least. The 'chase them up a windmill then set the windmill on fire' scene was the close of Universal's Frankenstein.The Castle exploding was at the end of Bride of Frankenstein, where the Creature, after ordering Henry Frankenstein and his new bride to flee for their lives ("Yes! You go! You live!") pulls the lever that destroys the castle with himself, the Bride, and Professor Pretorius still inside ("You stay! We belong dead.")

As for whether the Creature had a soul, that is debatable. In the first movie, he acted much like a child, exploring the world he had just become a part of, until Fritz shoves a torch in his face, frightening him, and his reaction mistaken as violence and not fear. In the second movie, it was made more clear that the Creature was no Child of God at the start, that even his existence was a mockery of Christ. (To hammer it home for the audience of the day, note that the Creature first rose from the dead and THEN was crucified to a pole, in the opposite sequence of Christ.) He was still 'childlike,' or perhaps better to say 'animal-like,' acting on survival and curiosity, until he met the hermit. It was during that vignette where one could mate the (somewhat heretical) claim that the Creature 'grew a soul' while under the care and tutelage of the blind man. After a meager meal, breaking bread and sharing wine, the lost hunters appear and break up the scene with their 'shoot on sight' prejudice. Then there is a chase ending with the Creature hiding in a Tomb, the very tomb Pretorius enters to find bones to use for the Bride. Then we have a 'dark reprise' of the hermit's scene, as Pretorius and the Creature share a light supper and conversation among the dead, and Pretorius tempts the Creature into darkness, now that the Creature has learned the concepts of "good" and "evil" from his time with the hermit.

But I am rambling on way too much here. Perhaps we should start a topic in the Break room to properly discuss all the themes and motifs in the Frankenstein saga.

Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #22

06/16/2017 4:31 PM

Good point. You certainly have your cultural wits about you today. Have a good weekend, buddy.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (6); Anonymous Poster (2); jack of all trades (3); James Stewart (9); PWSlack (1); Rixter (2)

Previous in Forum: Instrumentation   Next in Forum: Help with a Krohne UFC 6300

Advertisement