CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: The "Unnoticed" Path Of Every Engineer Who Turned Billionaire.   Next in Forum: Father's Day Gift Ideas for Engineers
Close
Close
Close
20 comments
The Engineer
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 128

Wireless Charging of Moving Electronics

06/15/2017 9:35 AM

A group of researchers at Stanford have figured out how to transfer electricity wirelessly to a moving object. The breakthrough opens the door to eventually charging cell phones and electric cars while they are moving.

http://news.stanford.edu/press-releases/2017/06/14/big-advance-wireless-charging-moving-electric-cars/

From the article:

Mid-range wireless power transfer, as developed at Stanford and other research universities, is based on magnetic resonance coupling. Just as major power plants generate alternating currents by rotating coils of wire between magnets, electricity moving through wires creates an oscillating magnetic field. This field also causes electrons in a nearby coil of wires to oscillate, thereby transferring power wirelessly. The transfer efficiency is further enhanced if both coils are tuned to the same magnetic resonance frequency and are positioned at the correct angle.

However, the continuous flow of electricity can only be maintained if some aspects of the circuits, such as the frequency, are manually tuned as the object moves. So, either the energy transmitting coil and receiver coil must remain nearly stationary, or the device must be tuned automatically and continuously – a significantly complex process.

To address the challenge, the Stanford team eliminated the radio-frequency source in the transmitter and replaced it with a commercially available voltage amplifier and feedback resistor. This system automatically figures out the right frequency for different distances without the need for human interference.

“Adding the amplifier allows power to be very efficiently transferred across most of the three-foot range and despite the changing orientation of the receiving coil,” said graduate student Sid Assawaworrarit, the study’s lead author. “This eliminates the need for automatic and continuous tuning of any aspect of the circuits.”

Assawaworrarit tested the approach by placing an LED bulb on the receiving coil. In a conventional setup without active tuning, LED brightness would diminish with distance. In the new setup, the brightness remained constant as the receiver moved away from the source by a distance of about three feet. Fan’s team recently filed a patent application for the latest advance.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 147

Re: Wireless Charging of Moving Electronics

06/15/2017 10:43 AM

Okay, so what can the scope of this be? How large can the induced power be, and still be safe for humans traveling with the receiver?

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 747

06/15/2017 12:01 PM

Not very impressive.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #2

06/15/2017 12:14 PM

Yes, for once I agree with you, and I also fail to see the need for this, unless it is all about the future where no one has their own car, their own cigarette lighter plug to attach to, and has to rely on gadgets like this while the glumly stare ahead at the back of the head of the passenger in front of them on the bus to Nowheresville.

I say we stop, hey, whats that sound, everybody looks what's going down...

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 616
In reply to #3

06/15/2017 12:29 PM

I think their idea goes way beyond that. I think their desire is to be able to recharge electric vehicles while the EVs are moving.

In reply to #5

06/15/2017 12:32 PM

I think that is a Don Quixote type of dream, as the power levels would effectively cook the passengers. It is a really bad idea.

The new IFbatteries will obviate any need to in motion recharging.

In other words, this idea of wireless charging is obsolete before it gets out the starting gate.

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 616

06/15/2017 12:27 PM

Unless they shot a stream of electric current across open space (doesn't sound like they did) they transferred power, not electricity.

I've seen electric current transferred across open space. It can be very en-lightning.

In reply to #4

06/15/2017 12:33 PM

No duh.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 329
In reply to #4

06/15/2017 12:50 PM

Unless they shot a stream of electric current across open space (doesn't sound like they did) they transferred power, not electricity.

maybe so,... but I would have to say, Nicolas Tesla was way ahead of his time... even just as a visionary.

Guru

Good Answers: 1102
In reply to #8

06/15/2017 1:31 PM

Yeah it wasn't a good idea then and it's not a good idea now....time hasn't changed it....now more likely this is for some tracking device, more surveillance techniques...track a phone that's been shut off....something like that...

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #11

06/15/2017 1:50 PM

Didn't say it was a good idea,... I just said he was a visionary.

Now if I had been talking about his AC motor, I'd say that was a good idea.

In reply to #12

06/15/2017 2:52 PM

Yes. Who is to say that some day mankind will in fact be able to transmit vast amounts of electrical power (not at 60Hz) wirelessly. In a way, we already do. Think of large radio transmitters, and microwave towers.

There have even been plans to transmit microwave high power from orbital space above earth to ground receiving stations, supposedly dilute enough that a farmer could be in the field where the antenna array is on his tractor, plowing away without regard or concern.

If that technology can be conceived, and planned out only a few small steps short of fruition, who can say what could be done? Microwave XMTR in roadway?? Receiver under the belly of an 18 wheel truck/trailer? Cars would require even faster switch on and off times, probably using an optical or magnetic switch. Fairly high rate of power might be exchanged this way. The infrastructure cost would be prohibitive in nature, so it will never happen.

In reply to #13

06/15/2017 5:30 PM

That's why in this matter, I called Tesla a visionary to separate this idea from the current practicality of it... but it still got mucked up.

And I agree, one doesn't know, what one doesn't know. Who knows what the future will bring.

Good Answers: 558
In reply to #11

06/16/2017 10:02 AM

...track a phone that's been shut off....

There's been a rumor that the NSA can turn on a phone which has been shut off. Apparently, they can't actually do that but they can make the phone appear to shut off but actually stay on.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/06/technology/security/nsa-turn-on-phone/index.html

In this pseudo shut off mode, the battery will eventually run down, so I suppose if phones were constantly being charged, they could be tracked indefinitely.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

06/16/2017 10:29 AM

I think you actually have to remove the battery or SIMM chip.

In reply to #17

06/16/2017 9:58 PM

Removing the battery is the safest bet, assuming that the battery is removable (not all are).

There are two processors in a smartphone, one to do phone things and one to do computer things. Some phones may keep the phone processor alive when shut down.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/nsa-remotely-turn-on-phones,news-18854.html

If you want to check to see if your phone is really "off" when you shut it down, I suppose you could charge it all the way up and leave it off for a week or two and see if the battery loses some charge.

Register to Reply
Guru

06/15/2017 12:55 PM

I would not have thought that frequency tuning was the big problem in transferring energy to a moving vehicle.

Even if the coupling were 100 percent efficient, you would need a huge number of transmitters in the roadway to transfer much energy to the moving vehicle since each transmitter would be in range for only a short period of time (Energy = power x time). I can't see how this would be economically feasible.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

In reply to #9

06/15/2017 1:16 PM

Agreed. On the other hand, systems such as the IFbattery will eventually take over this arena, it just makes sense to pull up, dump spent electrolyte, and simultaneously take on fresh solution, while you treat yourself inside the station to whatever convenience is your pleasure.

(Beer, beer nuts, slim jim sausage, whatever.)

I have often wondered if Beer nuts come in left hand threads and in metric sizes also?

IFbattery requires zero changes to road infrastructure, and only minor changes at roadside stops.

I did see one article where the gurus of Li+ ion battery EV technology have figured out that siphoning power away from EV's while parked and plugged in can increase battery life over 10%, I think it was 9% on energy, and 12% on power. To me, however, it smelled like an excuse to steal from employees while parked and plugged in. Just sayin'.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 232

06/15/2017 8:15 PM

Witricity has been doing this sort of thing (improving magnetic coupling with resonance) for many years now (2009) but for stationary but not intimately positioned objects. (Close is relative ) Moving objects just require more 'transmitters'. Not really very practical for moving objects.

We worked on a DARPA proposal for underwater vehicles that would be re-charged using this concept to alleviate the requirements for precision alignment of the vehicle to the charging station when using conventional charging 'paddles'. Witricity was one of our team members.

http://witricity.com/

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 35

06/18/2017 4:22 PM

When I first read this, I wondered if 'charging on the move' meant it was a means of topping up my batteries by wireless - or whether it was a means of deducting money from my bank account at a steady rate per mile (or any length).

In reply to #19

06/19/2017 9:27 AM

The latter. Not only that, but when you hook up your electric vehicle in the parking lot at the giant corporation, they will steal your power while you are slaving away in the boiler room. Thus, when you clock out your battery range won't even make it to the local pub, too bad.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Brave Sir Robin (1); horace40 (1); James Stewart (7); phoenix911 (4); Rixter (3); SolarEagle (1); Tornado (1); Usbport (2)

Previous in Forum: The "Unnoticed" Path Of Every Engineer Who Turned Billionaire.   Next in Forum: Father's Day Gift Ideas for Engineers

Advertisement