CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Who Made The First Geodesic Dome?   Next in Forum: Stormwater Drainage Issues
Close
Close
Close
18 comments
Active Contributor

I Need Help Big Time! Civil Engineers Give Me Your Expertise!

06/20/2017 8:02 PM

Hello, if you're reading this, thanks for helping. I'm stuck on two assignments I have been given and I have searched over the internet for days and can't find anything to help me! Below you will find questions that I have been given but do not know how to answer. If anyone knows what the hell to do, please tell me or perhaps write me examples.

From the Rules: Do not post phone numbers or email addresses. The Admin will delete all phone numbers and email addresses posted in threads or comments. You can share this information via the forum's internal messaging system.

If anyone can help, thanks a lot!

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 327

Re: I need help big time! Civil engineers give me your expertise!

06/20/2017 8:29 PM

Put together a project plan. It's not your first day of class.

Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 345

06/20/2017 8:43 PM

Start by breaking the assignment down into more manageable pieces. First, do you know what a method statement is?

An internet search of method statement produced a number of helpful results and guides, you will however need to tailor the method statement to the particulars of this specific site example. Read the site description carefully and break the risks likely present on site down into manageable groups and look at them individually and start to list them out.

Good Answers: 1086

06/20/2017 11:06 PM

Well first you need a permit....

So you have to know how much water is being pumped....then you have to know the intended purpose of the water....then you need to do a site study and determine the feasibility of the location...then you need to determine what materials will be suitable for this location...and you have to locate the electrical needs and determine how they will be supplied...

https://www.revolvy.com/topic/Pumping%20station&item_type=topic

I would then make a concept drawing...

Then you need an ok from all the various authorities involved....

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 345
In reply to #3

06/20/2017 11:30 PM

Based on the limited information I was under the impression the purpose of this particular work method statement was to perform site works in a safe manner (like a tailgate meeting document).

More health and safety working on a particular site, less "Idiot's guide on what to build from scratch, how and with what tools". Idiot's guide to obtaining building consent, construction and site work permits" is a whole volume by itself.

In reply to #4

06/21/2017 12:02 AM

Sort of like a show and tell?

First we'll build a geodesic dome to have our meetings in....

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #5

06/22/2017 9:06 AM

You sure are funny. Where did you ever get that picture from? Now that's engineering at it's finest.

In reply to #7

06/22/2017 11:05 AM

Aw shucks.....flexoam...the preschool erector set...

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 697

06/21/2017 3:05 AM

<...searched over the internet for days and can't find anything to help...> That's because it isn't there. If it were, then there wouldn't be any point in setting the assignment!

<...for days...> It sounds as though a lot of time is being wasted already.

The work involves getting the "for construction" issue drawings out and going through them, breaking the construction down into separate tasks and trades, and writing a statement that says how the whole is to be assembled. Those drawings cannot be seen from anywhere other than the Original Poster's facility.

No-one else in this forum is likely to do this task; lack of time and no prospect of reward being among the disincentives.

Good luck.

<unsubscribes>

Good Answers: 143

Re: I Need Help Big Time! Civil Engineers Give Me Your Expertise!

06/22/2017 11:24 AM

What happened to Task 1? What is the other (b.) project? If it is easy to knock out, put that one to paper first. Thinking about the first one, you may gain a few insights on what you need for the first one while working the second (b.) one.

Without an proper engineering scope, this could be a 1 HP pump in a steel caisson, or it might be a 10 acre pumping station to a major metropolis.

Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 10

06/22/2017 1:03 PM

If a small lift station is all that is actually required, certain companies make pre-packaged lift stations available as a single purchase...

(By the way, what was the second assignment?...)

06/22/2017 5:13 PM

This was the whole assignment for the people asking and thank you everyone for the help :) It was... Helpful.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 697
In reply to #11

06/23/2017 5:32 AM

That is several weeks' work, of an individual and project-specific (which the forum cannot see) nature, and the chances of finding it on the internet are about the same as landing on Mars this afternoon.

In reply to #11

06/23/2017 9:12 AM

I guess your assignment is about putting the civil engineering and project management together. It has a lot of consideration you need look at to produce such document. But to help at least the primary concerns, have a look at the underlisted concerns:

1. Excavation to the depth of proposed structures.

Challenges: ground water, buried cables and water mains, building constraint, loose soil material

2. Set-up of reservoir containment

Materials for construction: concrete, steel

Challenges: protection for steel corrosion, hardening of concrete in ground water, etc

Method: Do you use precast concrete or insitu concrete?, how do you pour your concrete? How do you arrest or abate pressure from ground water/ etc

Think along this line and imagine possibilities of ways and problem you can encounter during the construction.

I hope this helps.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 143
In reply to #14

06/23/2017 10:49 AM

And also, unless the student has been presented with a generic location specification, i.e., level terrain, low precipitation, sandy loam soil with good drainage, no ground water near the surface, and a host of other legal requirements including an environmental impact statement as to any indigenous wildlife, this is a hopeless exercise, with no possible bearing on an actual scenario.

In reply to #11

06/24/2017 12:39 PM

I think the easiest way to approach this is to use a case study of a real world example, citing specific problems encountered and what actions were required....using some creative additions and imaginative solutions should round out the document....

http://www.industrytap.com/5-of-the-most-exciting-civil-engineering-projects-happening-right-now/7934

http://www.water-technology.net/projects/alvarado/

Good Answers: 20

06/22/2017 11:41 PM

I've seen questions like this before. Generally to answer them the student is required to read previous chapters, then apply that knowledge to formulate an answer.

Register to Reply
Guru

06/27/2017 3:37 PM

Well, what are the other (students ?) doing?...

06/30/2017 11:53 AM

Ok, but first, at what school is this class being conducted?...

... and, specifically, in what major curriculum is this class required?...

... and, specifically, what is the title of this class?...

... and, specifically, is it in the first, second, third, fourth, or other, year of the program?...

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Dennis R. Levesque (1); Grego (1); jack of all trades (2); James Stewart (2); keiran marley (1); MR. Guest (3); phoenix911 (1); PWSlack (2); SolarEagle (4); tonyhemet (1)

Previous in Forum: Who Made The First Geodesic Dome?   Next in Forum: Stormwater Drainage Issues

Advertisement