CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: CFD Analysis of The Boundary Layer Separation in Water Flow   Next in Forum: From Floppy Disks to Data Centers: The White House Brings in Tech Titans to Reva
Close
Close
Close
18 comments
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 10

High-tech Ball for Fido

06/26/2017 8:19 AM

It's called Bringy. Maybe I could keep the pups occupied if I had one of these. They sit in a row looking at me like I'm supposed to keep them amused.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1086

Re: High-tech Ball for Fido

06/26/2017 9:31 AM

Playing with balls...?

Surely you jest....

Why I've never played with a ball in my life.....

I can catch a ball....but what's in it for me?

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 269

06/26/2017 9:34 AM

You will still need to get up and throw the ball. So from your post a regular ball will do.

They are there waiting for you to throw it.

Smart ball will not throw itself.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 67

06/26/2017 10:53 AM

You've got to be kidding! Pick up a ball and throw that damn thing...it's good exercise for you and the dogs!

Dumb ball and smart human is all you really need. I've trained a lot of dogs and have not needed an "app for that" yet!

Where are we going with technology????

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 345
In reply to #3

06/26/2017 3:50 PM

Hey, we have tested these sort of automated toys and substitute human companionship devices on children so now it is time to roll them out on the dogs.

Either that or get a cat if you don't have the time to put into a dog.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 143
In reply to #9

06/26/2017 4:56 PM

But then all the dogs will want to do is play video games, and grab a ham out of the ice box.

Good Answers: 153

06/26/2017 11:09 AM

Wouldn't work for my shepherd mix. She chews through the supposedly indestructible "Kong" toys like they were cotton candy in about 2 days. The only thing that stands a chance is honest to God fire hose. Even that is in tatters after a couple months.

The only thing the app would show me, is where she pooped silicon, and a lithium battery.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

In reply to #4

06/26/2017 1:38 PM

I've had that same problem (chewing through just about ANY ball)...try a field hock ball. They are really tough! The other thing I use is PVC plastic pipe with end caps glued on. You can make them up with various sizes 1.5", 2", 2.5" about a foot long. They can pick them up chomp all they want but have yet to beak anything. They float too!

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #7

06/26/2017 1:44 PM

...and when the sapper squad sees the dog carrying one of those, they will say, "There goes my hero."

God bless dog. Long may they fetch, from sea to shining sea.

Good Answers: 153
In reply to #7

06/26/2017 6:13 PM

I will give that a try. Thanks!

Good Answers: 539

06/26/2017 11:22 AM

Ideal gift for the Nerd Dog!

Register to Reply
Guru

06/26/2017 12:02 PM

This Bringy thing is fetching.

I just use a ball that has an uneven surface, so that it bounces to the side sometimes, and it included a squeaker so that when new and working (last almost a week), Billy quickly adapts to the "new" ball. Later on, he senses his play ball by smell-a-vision.

Sometimes he just acts like he doesn't know where it is, in order to go patrol the entire backyard looking for it. Usually he intercepts the ball at first bounce, and how many times we have run a "play", such as "green 23", "blue 32", or "red 48". He has not tried tackling me (yet), but I expect him to earn a fifteen yard penalty any day now.

Good Answers: 17

06/27/2017 6:35 AM

There's at least one company out there trying to develop a golf ball with basically all the same crap in it. Apparently a lot of entrepreneurs think that there's no limit to how much people want to have their phone in their hand and stare and peck at the screen. They may be right. I thought Facebook was crap eight years ago and now it's market cap is ~8x that of Ford Motor. The portion of people who want to waste time was apparently a hugely underserved market. Bringy should fit right in.

jhammond

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

06/27/2017 8:57 AM

If you only knew how many golf balls have succumbed to a slow death out in the cabbage over the years. Maybe a "smart" ball (with the same flight characteristics as a "normal" golf ball) would (1) save the lives of many golf balls, (2) save at least one golfer's life (alligators out there in the swamp gonna go chomp chomp), and (3) would speed up play on public courses where many man-hours are wasted while searching for that lost ball.

06/27/2017 8:40 AM

I once had a GSD (smartest dog I ever knew) that would "play ball" with me when I sat on the low end of my deck, which was pitched slightly away from the house. She would carefully take the ball to the high side opposite me, lay down, put the ball between her feet, and give it a push with her nose. The ball would roll down to me, where she would come, give me a kiss, and take the ball back to the top...as many times as I could stand it! Boy do I miss that dog.

In reply to #13

06/27/2017 8:58 AM

I am convinced that dogs are the manifestation of God's Angels on Earth (GAE's). By the way, Good Old Dog is abbreviated G.O.D.

CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #15

06/27/2017 9:20 AM

You won't get any argument from me on this .

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #16

06/27/2017 9:24 AM

Huggs!

In reply to #15

06/27/2017 9:36 AM

GSD = German Shepherd Dog

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BestInShow (1); jack of all trades (1); James Stewart (6); jhammond (1); Kilowatt0 (2); ozzb (1); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (1); Tom_Consulting (4)

Previous in Forum: CFD Analysis of The Boundary Layer Separation in Water Flow   Next in Forum: From Floppy Disks to Data Centers: The White House Brings in Tech Titans to Reva

Advertisement