CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: I Need Help Big Time! Civil Engineers Give Me Your Expertise!   Next in Forum: Maths Questions Help
Close
Close
Close
15 comments
Participant

Stormwater Drainage Issues

06/27/2017 6:55 AM

Does anyone have experiences of management of feces in stormwater drainage channels?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 689

Re: Stormwater Drainage Issues

06/27/2017 7:17 AM

Local authorities responsible for clean-up will have this experience.

Anonymous Poster #1

06/27/2017 7:36 AM
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 131

06/27/2017 9:34 AM

That pretty much means that Fido needs to relieve himself elsewhere and you need to install portable toilets on the site so that your slaves workers are not relieving themselves out in the open.

I find this custom somewhat bothersome and highly unsanitary. No wonder the incidence of cholera is high in some neighborhoods.

Have you no educational system over there that teaches health and basic hygiene?

Civilization is a boon to all mankind, but only if it is applied to all. Spare the rod and spoil the child (meaning, everyone should be exposed to the same standard of discipleship and learning, it does not mean beat and scar the backs of children.)

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 67
In reply to #3

06/27/2017 9:39 AM

You assume a lot of things about the OP. Flooding can cause this problem as well. Maybe the OP can better describe the situation so we might offer assistance?

In reply to #4

06/27/2017 10:59 AM

I would be willing to lay odds on my assessment being spot on, but there again, I am prone to initial assumptions until I wind up eating those words.

Sometimes it works for me, others not so much.

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 267

06/27/2017 9:48 AM

If this is human waste, call your health department. If you are the health department, pump it out and dispose of properly. And look for the source. New housing and the waste water and storm water lines were crossed. Broken waste water line. Sewage pump service improper dumping.

In reply to #5

06/27/2017 11:01 AM

You have storm water lines? Really? We have streets and playa lakes with overflow caissons leading to the storm water outflow pipe in the canyon lakes.

I think OP is actually seeing turds floating down the streets near his place of employment - I think it is a dry dock servicing large ships.

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 267
In reply to #9

06/27/2017 1:07 PM

I lived in Midland Texas for awhile. Where the rain fall is so little that putting in storm drains would be a waste. So i imagine Lubbuck About the same

Here though the storm drain pipes may run a mile or more to get to a drainage creek, stream or run. There have been instances where new home were build and the tied into one of these old pipes thinking it was waste water. Don't happen often. Usually it's the other way around and they tie the storm water drain in to the waste water.

Then there has been instances where these pipe crossed and failed and one leaked into the other.

Biggest cause of it is sewage pump trucks dumping. But that has ended with fees tacked onto the licensing to use connections put thru out the county to pump into waste water lines.

In reply to #13

06/27/2017 1:33 PM

Lubbock put in a storm water project within the last ten years due to flooding of neighborhoods during deluge storms where the homes were inside the 100 year flood boundary of nearby playa lakes. Dumbesses could not resist squeezing in a few more blocks of ticky-tack and brick.

Finally the city council went for it, and put storm drains on the major arteries (good), and also put in overflow caissons in the playa lakes to shunt away drainage from the nearest neighborhoods. The whole thing connects up to a 72" conduit to Buffalo Lakes.

Lubbock is on the move, now with over 1/4 million within the city limits, and far over that within the county.

06/27/2017 9:59 AM

The situations that I am interested in, are urban drainage projects in low income countries. Whereby rapid urbanization of cities has lead to unplanned building creating informal settlements (slums) that are often located in unsuitable conditions, susceptible to flooding. These settlements are often not connected to proficient sanitary services, so that sullage and faeces are not transported away in conventional sewers. Poor and unplanned drainage channels are often used as a means to dispose of the waste, as well as not dealing with the issue of flooding, which only makes the situation worse by spreading the uncontained waste. Spreading disease. I am interested in any methods used to manage faeces in these situations, reducing the exposure or potential contact with people and the eventual receiving water body.

Any further help on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 689
In reply to #6

06/27/2017 10:25 AM

See #2⇑.

When it gets too much, then something gets done about it.

In reply to #6

06/27/2017 11:14 AM

The best thing to do in your situation (regardless of WHO has guidelines, or who flung dung), would be to hire someone in each slum to drive a donkey cart with a "honey" wagon (as was used in Germany in small villages even in the recent past - 1970's to present?). This "night soil" was then placed in fields where it was composted to fertilizer.

There you go, head off the problem before it enters the waterways.

Good Answers: 1028

06/27/2017 11:41 AM

You need to work with the settlement inhabitants, who need to police themselves and enforce usage of government located porta potties...without a responsible government presence, you get chaos....Ideally proper housing for these people can be located, and assistance provided, to move people into a more tenable situation...a concierge service should be located at or near the settlement to assist people with finding jobs, transportation, and locate and utilize other needed services...A neighborhood task force should be established to hold regular meetings with representatives from the settlement and the neighboring inhabitants of surrounding locations, this task force can identify problems and craft solutions and plans of action, to deal with needs and problems...Basically you need a framework of authority and a plan of action....

http://www.southerncaliforniasanitation.com/portablerestrooms.html

In reply to #11

06/27/2017 12:13 PM

Or you could pay someone to go around and clean up the mess, and extract his pay from the inhabitants of these slums.

He could reward them by paying the inhabitants for actually placing their own waste in an approved receptacle for pickup. Still unsanitary, but better than you have now.

The portable toilets will stink once the solution is expended, and I doubt your government could afford to service them properly based on what we are seeing here.

Sorry if this insults you, but these things need to be thought out well in advance of making "improvements". It needs to be "sustainable" at some cost, not to mention the environment.

Good Answers: 1028
In reply to #12

06/27/2017 1:11 PM

We had proper outhouses long before we had modern plumbing.....and chamber pots

http://tinyhouseblog.com/tiny-house-concept/ode-to-the-outhouse/

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adjbarton (1); Anonymous Poster (1); James Stewart (6); ozzb (2); PWSlack (2); SolarEagle (2); Tom_Consulting (1)

Previous in Forum: I Need Help Big Time! Civil Engineers Give Me Your Expertise!   Next in Forum: Maths Questions Help

Advertisement