Previous in Forum: Stormwater Drainage Issues  
Close
Close
Close
33 comments
Active Contributor

Maths Questions Help

06/29/2017 10:55 AM

Hi, thanks for clicking on this. I have a couple of questions that I do not understand and would love if you can leave a step by step with the answer as well so that I can understand. Thanks!

Thanks again!!!!

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: maths
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 1028

Re: Maths Questions Help

06/29/2017 11:05 AM

Haha you want us to do your homework for you....You'll never learn anything that way kid....Why don't you take the questions one by one and give us your best effort at answering....that way we can perhaps lead you in the right direction....

In reply to #1

06/29/2017 11:14 AM

I don't know where to start or anything :(

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 67
In reply to #2

06/29/2017 11:20 AM

Then go speak with your teacher/professor.

06/29/2017 11:33 AM

This is my attempts at some of the tasks. You can see which ones they are for because it tells you what task in the picture. I would appreciate your input.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 131
In reply to #4

06/29/2017 11:55 AM

We could not see the original questions all that well. Go back to the instructions and read them again.

Good Answers: 99
In reply to #4

06/29/2017 11:02 PM

Keiran,

Regarding the 5a you worked, look on line 4 of your answer--there is an error on that line. Do an intuitive double check--the hypotenuse of the triangle is going to be longer than either of the other sides, yet you have it identical to the base!! Incidentally you may find it easier to do the problem working with the original whole numbers and then get the ratio between a & c and apply it to the actual value of a.

I couldn't read the questions for the others so cannot comment on your work.

--JMM

Register to Reply
Guru

06/29/2017 11:35 AM
  1. we can't really see your homework if we were interested in doing it for you, since we are old men with bifocals, and your picture sux.
  2. we are old men that talk about engineering, and we wear bifocals, and we don't do school homework, as a general rule, but we might provide clues or hints.
  3. write down on paper what your questions are, then cut them down to size (also on paper), until you can ask them in short sentences that make complete sentence, and also comprise one complete short paragraph.
  4. if you still do not understand the questions, or the questions you have about the questions, then feel free to ask again, by posting your list of questions about the questions, but please include the questions.
  5. if that does not work for you, please place postage on the envelope that is sufficient, and send mail to:

Complaint Department Attn:

Helen Waite

Anaheim, NZ

(I hope you realize what I am saying here is in the kindest possible sense of the words.)

In reply to #5

06/29/2017 11:47 AM

I understand, sorry for bothering you... I would like to ask one other thing though. This picture, it wants me to do x= -2 to x= 5...

Do I Just replace x with each one of those numbers ranging from -2 to 5 and then solve it using the quadratic formula?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

06/29/2017 11:53 AM

Make a graph by plugging in assumed values for x in the range {2,5}, where {2,5} is the integer space from 2 to 5, i.e. 2,3,4,5. That work for you?

I bet you can do it, now, we have faith in you, grasshopper.

In reply to #8

06/29/2017 11:57 AM

More like a snail but yeah, thanks lol.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 608
In reply to #6

06/29/2017 12:02 PM

No, not exactly - but here's a hint. Restate the formula as an equation f(x) = 2x2 - 6x -9, and plot it with values of x from -2 to 5, then examine the graph to see when the curve produces values of f(x) equal to zero. These values, if there are any, would be the roots. The problem does not say to use the quadratic formula.

In reply to #12

06/29/2017 12:08 PM

Hi what does the f(x) meant to mean?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

06/29/2017 1:27 PM

f(x) means literally - f, a function of the independent variable x.

It could have just as easily been y(x), or q(x) or any other.

The author chose f to confuse, and offer a peak at a grade if not deciphered.

So when plotting the graph, you will place values of f(x) on the y axis, and the x values on the x axis, surely they named the axes of the graph (plot) for you?

Oh, and my apologies for not reading your input range correctly a while ago.

I stated {2,5}, but the teacher wants you to do {-2,5} range. Got it?

In reply to #6

06/29/2017 12:16 PM

In reply to #14

06/29/2017 12:29 PM

Is this the answer Mr.Eagle?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

06/29/2017 12:57 PM

Click on the link and read the tutorial, then tell me if it is right or not.....

Good Answers: 99
In reply to #15

06/29/2017 10:52 PM

Keiran,

No, it is not the answer to your problem. Note that Solar Eagle graphed a sample equation y=x2-3x-10 and yours is y=2x2-6x-9. (Please forgive the error on his sheet where he wrote y=x2-3x-102.) Take his (corrected) equation and a sheet of graph paper then plug in the various values of x and put the calculated values of y on the paper--you should see what he graphed. That is a graphical solution to the problem, which is what the question requires. Of course, you need to do it for the equation given in your problem.

--JMM

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #5

06/29/2017 11:48 AM

speak for yourself old dude!

Register to Reply Score 2 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #7

06/29/2017 11:58 AM

Pipe down, you spite monkey, or will jerk that mask right off your pie hole!

Do you read me, now?

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 180
In reply to #11

06/29/2017 12:29 PM

Well, that was the James Stewart we all know and love!

In reply to #16

06/29/2017 1:42 PM

I have it on good authority, that mistook the bear for AP#1 and poked him directly in the ribs. He (the beast) is fully awake, and definitely moving in my direction now.

OMG - this might not end well.

In reply to #11

06/29/2017 1:02 PM

Uhho nap time....

In reply to #18

06/29/2017 1:32 PM

Yours or mine, Old Eagle?

I just got back from the 1st circle of hell, where I have to wear my red acid resistant suit, out in the sun (the doors to hell are open wide today).

Boy was it hot, although the suit is an Ansel one, and breathes quite well, thank you.

At least it was a dry heat. Then I went to lunch and got my standard meat loaf and double portion of green beans from the Flying J truck stop. Gotta love me some diesel-smoked greeen beans.

Too busy for a nap, so it must be your nap time, check back with me later, OK?

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 85
In reply to #5

06/29/2017 3:18 PM

Normally letters to Helen Waite are hand delivered, in order to make the instructions more clear that the person instructed is supposed to "go to..."

Also, you really dug deep for that one, it has been several DECADES since I heard the 'Hellen Waite' jab.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #22

06/30/2017 4:40 PM

What did you expect from me, anyway?

Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 161

06/29/2017 10:25 PM

Hi Keiran (Irish?),

It would certainly help to know your situation since you are having so much trouble understanding this material. Would you please answer the following questions:

Obviously, you are in a class. What grade level, and is it a classroom setting, or is it a correspondence course?

What level math(s) have you completed thus far?

By your own admission, you are out of your depth here (though you communicate well, and in a predominantly pleasant manner; a definite plus ).

OK, last question:

What do you have riding on this? What happens if you succeed? What happens if you don't?

Having an idea of who you are will facilitate replies that can be more beneficial.

This is just profiling 101! Watch "Criminal Minds", it works!

In reply to #23

07/01/2017 3:33 PM

Hi Mikerho, thanks for the compliments haha. I live in the U.K, London, so you may or may not know how the schooling system works here. I am in college right now doing a BTEC Level 3 Civil Engineering Diploma and I am on my first year. It is a classroom setting. I have completed GCSE with a B in mathematics. For your last question, I am happy to tell you that I did manage to get these questions done and correctly. I got the highest grade for it also! :) So overall for the whole year, out of the 6 core units I managed to get 5 D(Distinctions) and 1M(Merit), with distinction being the highest and pass being the lowest. I came out overall with a distinction star, so perfect.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #27

07/03/2017 3:32 PM

You keep that up, young man, and you may actually have to work for a living!

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
In reply to #27

07/05/2017 11:08 AM

Well done, well done indeed.

Sounds like you've got the makings of an Engineer in you, if you keep your grades up like that. Although you must not neglect your extra-curriculars; one of the most important thing for an engineer to have is a sarcastic sense of humo(u)r, as you may have noticed from the other members on this site.

The sarcasm is an important defense mechanism. Remember how smart the 'average' person is? Now realize that statistically speaking, half the population is DUMBER than that, and your training and education has sharpened your thinking so you are now 'above average.' That means, statistically speaking, MOST of the people you will deal with in life will be, compared to your own internal reference, morons, and it's very stressful working with/for morons. There are three main ways to combat that stress, alcohol, insanity, or sarcasm. Alcohol, in the quantities required, will damage your liver fast, insanity could lead to other problems, depending on what you DO while insane, but sarcasm is generally safe, and may even convince a moron or two to open a book and learn something, even if it's just to figure out just what you called them and whether or not it was an insult.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #29

07/05/2017 12:17 PM

Adreasler can most definitely speak with veracity in regards to the subject of moron perception. He sees something resembling that in the mirror each morning.

I only see a clown. A drizzler has to be careful not to rain upon a moron parade.

Not spoken in offense, just a whimsical jab at my comrade from across the aisle so to speak.

In reply to #30

07/05/2017 12:58 PM

No offense taken, as you know I do my best to refrain from ad hominem attacks when I should be attacking a policy or proposal.

(I try my best, but I am not perfect, and I do humbly appologize and retract my statement when I accidentally wrong someone.)

A friendly word of advice, you might want to look more closely at your friends on your side of the isle; they seem to be sending people to Congress who are even more cartoonishly 'below average' than the trend has been in past election cycles. As an Engineer, I tend to find supporting 'anti-intellectual' policies to be distasteful, if not outright offensive. I won't even bring up recent events and appointments, just point out that one party has been trying to defund PBS for decades, and it wasn't the party that invited the Mythbusters to the White House to ask them to revisit a myth they had debunked.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #31

07/05/2017 1:37 PM

No talkin' smack about my boyz! MythBusters rock!

I never liked taking out ad about hominy either.

Hominy is no good without a grain of salt.

Hot buttered morons, are still just morons.

Hey, if the R side does not start getting things right, there may be two dead parties next time around, the D's and the R's.

Just sayin', if they don't stay on course, we have replacements waiting.

I thought you were going to talk about the CNN smack-down tweet.

CNN (FNN) is just wrong when they go out to bully and put threats against a private citizen. They have no legal authority whatsoever, and he has as much 1st Amendment rights as they do. They do not own free speech, and it appears they wish to shut down free speech (making them by definition, fascists), if they aren't the ones speaking it. Shout down is not diplomacy, nor is dominating the Q/A session with a never-ending flurry of stupid moronic questions that have no answers.

In reply to #32

07/05/2017 1:54 PM

I love the Goofball and the Walrus too, as well as the Chuckleheads (Never heard that term for the B-Team until the retrospective). Yes they blew a lot of stuff up that they didn't absolutely NEED to, but that was just to get people's attention so they could sneak some Science! into the viewers' heads. Plus those explosions were awesome!

Mythbusters opened the door for bringing in shows like Outrageous Acts of Science, where we see 'internet sensations' and other crackpots (lookin' at you, Nigel Furst) do amazing or ridiculous things, then the scientists explain the physics behind what just happened.

What we need is a world where science is the cool, awesome thing, and intellectualism is celebrated, not ridiculed. More science classes, less Football scholarships. (Besides, football is INSANELY dangerous, even those tackles that are considered 'routine' and 'boring' by the commentators are causing brain damage. These athletes are literally bashing each other into being confused, irrational, overemotional, violent morons.)

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Register to Reply 33 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (4); Anonymous Poster (1); James Stewart (11); jmueller (2); JPool (1); keiran marley (7); Mikerho (1); SolarEagle (4); Tom_Consulting (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Stormwater Drainage Issues  

Advertisement