CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: What Is It?   Next in Forum: What's Next for the Higgs Boson?
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 10

Damping Airport Noise with Landscaping

07/06/2017 8:05 AM

This story about Schiphol Airport caught my eye because I never thought of applying acoustical engineering techniques in the great outdoors.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 327

Re: Damping Airport Noise with Landscaping

07/06/2017 8:21 AM

In Green Bay, WI, about 20 years ago, there was a huge residential Development along Hwy 172, A lot of nice houses, and huge houses, 3,000-4,500 sq/foot. And these were pretty close to the highway.

After the houses were constructed, the new home owners petitioned the city to put up sound barriers from the noise from the highway. Which was upsetting to the population on why their taxes need to go into this barrier. Didn't they know this before they bought, or even the developers.

The city did put in the sound barriers, Trees, and larger burms and ridges as well as walls.

The rest of the development was commercial.

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #1

07/06/2017 8:34 AM

I hate my tax dollars building those sound barriers in neighborhoods newer than the highway. Now old developments that were there prior to the highway may have a valid argument why my tax dollars should build them a sound barrier.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #3

07/06/2017 9:10 AM

When I was going to college, I lived in an apartment that was about 10-15 miles from Austen Straubel Airport, But,... it was in direct flight path for landing. I didn't know what it was, about 10:00 at night, a big roar went through the apartment building, I didn't know where it was coming from, I shot up out of bed, and ran around the apartment still half-asleep... I don't, looking for what was causing the noise,.... the 2-3rd time, I realized the apartments was in the flight path.

I found out what it was when I was at friend of mine's house that was about a mile from the airport and close to the flight path, we were outside playing volley ball and then a Galaxy C5 came in as we were playing, we couldn't even hear each other talk.

I asked how he could live with that... he said, the airport was here before his parents built the house. I thought that was decent of him.

Good Answers: 536
In reply to #4

07/06/2017 4:22 PM

There was a thread awhile back with a link to a noise map.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

07/06/2017 7:31 PM

Interesting

Good Answers: 1086

07/06/2017 8:31 AM

What's wrong with the good old blast deflectors?

http://www.blastdeflectors.com/

Don't help when the planes are taking off over your house though.....

http://www.airportwatch.org.uk/2014/05/heathrow-hopes-to-buy-off-harmondsworth-with-about-320000-per-property-demolished/

In reply to #2

07/06/2017 9:12 AM

I flew into Columbus Airport about 25-30 years ago... it was similar to the bottom picture...

Good Answers: 160
In reply to #2

07/07/2017 10:16 AM

...except that the plane in the bottom picture is clearly landing, not taking off. There is a lot more noise at the takeoff end of the runway.

Of course during some kinds of weather, those ends switch.

Good Answers: 160

07/07/2017 10:20 AM

Indeed interesting, but I'm surprised so see so few trees. I'd think trees at the tops of those berms would help a lot, at least after 10 years or so...

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

dkwarner (2); harley (1); phoenix911 (4); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: What Is It?   Next in Forum: What's Next for the Higgs Boson?

Advertisement